Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What have you bought/ sold your 914 for?
wbgoggans
post Nov 30 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,167
Region Association: South East States

We’ve all seen the recent 914’s on bring a trailer big numbers, but has the private market adjusted to these new numbers? Please reply with a photo, and other important info that would effect the value of your car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 30 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

BIG bucks for a 914 and no PPI in hand. With a purchase based on a handful pictures. What could go wrong? Scary.
+Quote Post
wbgoggans
post Nov 30 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,167
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 30 2020, 06:30 PM) *

BIG bucks for a 914 and no PPI in hand. With a purchase based on a handful pictures. What could go wrong? Scary.

Hey no complaining the 914 parts car sitting in your yard with massive hell hole issues is going to be worth $5,000 now! As long as it’s bought via pics only...
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Nov 30 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,519
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 30 2020, 03:30 PM) *

Absolutely! Stakes are much higher then when they were $1k-2k! How many today are saved when we would have parted them back a few years. SoCal market seems to have slowed based on cars I’ve been watching on what’s left of Craigslist. Potential buyers won’t pay the prices and owners won’t budge thinking they got a gem.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 30 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

A few weeks ago I came home with a "complete"1974 914 1.8. About 12 or so boxes were included with various engine parts and trim. Cost $0.00, I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" holds somewhat true, but I have seen several other 914's in worse condition. I have dug into the metal surgery, starting with simple patches and will graduate into the rockers/structural work. I am a decent fabricator. Probably at least 6 months to get her running, but as most of us know, life has a way of changing our optimism.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 30 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Much like the 911's did at first, the really nice cars shoot up in value first, then sometimes the drivers and projects follow, but not always. I see this happening with 914's right now, really nice numbers for nice cars, but you can still find projects for dirt cheap and drivers for good deals, so the jump hasn't happened yet and there is no guarantee that it will. Collectors will always add a nice Porsche to their collection and $25,000-30,000 for a really nice 914 is nothing to a guy with a 10+ car collection, but that same guy will never buy a project 914 and restore it, so it takes more than the high end to raise all the boats.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 30 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

Lots of Washington cars looked so good. Til you started poking them with an ice pick. Junk with decent parts then. Rustoration candidates now. Pierce county was littered with them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 30 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Am I the only one who's not happy with the increase in prices? Just like Adam said, early 911' went ballistic and all the rest followed. Now, even 912 project cars are mid $20's. Maybe if I owned a ton of cars it would be good but most of us are car buyers, not sellers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 30 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2020, 05:41 PM) *
Maybe if I owned a ton of cars it would be good

Yeah, that would be cool!

My point was more cautionary, people see pricing going up and start buying up everything, trying to corner the market, but it can backfire. I've been to many a guy's place where he has a mountain of something, and is pissed off about it. So yes, 914's are going up, but please don't grab all the $500 craigslist specials thinking you're gonna retire.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2020, 09:03 PM) *

My point was more cautionary, people see pricing going up and start buying up everything, trying to corner the market, but it can backfire. I've been to many a guy's place where he has a mountain of something, and is pissed off about it. So yes, 914's are going up, but please don't grab all the $500 craigslist specials thinking you're gonna retire.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Good for thee but not for me? Somebody was trying to corner the 356 market. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? I fully get that you work hard and run a successful business and for that, you are my hero. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I just don't get a post about not hoarding 914's but there is the picture of the 356's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 1 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

Purchased for $7166.41, but that was off the lot on 05/01/74. What her value is today I've no real idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 1 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #12

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Double post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 1 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #13

Its alive

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 1 2020, 07:59 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Good for thee but not for me? Somebody was trying to corner the 356 market. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? I fully get that you work hard and run a successful business and for that, you are my hero. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I just don't get a post about not hoarding 914's but there is the picture of the 356's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I applaud the successful business, and might be totally off base here, but I tend to feel like this kind of thing does price the little guy out of [example] 356 ownership.

Adam-curiosity point here, never checked the phone number or sent an email, but are you the one who clogs up NE CL with WTB ads for 356/911/912?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 1 2020, 08:24 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Or he's helping to bring long forgotten cars to market.

It's easy to hate on flippers but most people don't want to go through the trouble.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2020, 09:24 AM) *

It's easy to hate on flippers but most people don't want to go through the trouble.

I want to be really clear. I'm not hating on anyone. Utmost respect for Unobtanium. God bless him for saving as many 356's as possible. Plus we all know from other posts how hard he works to retrieve some of these from barns, fields, etc.

I just didn't understand the post. As I re-read it maybe he's sharing wisdom that he has a pile of cash tied up in that inventory and that there really isn't a fortune to be made in it though it certaily "looks" that way in the photo given we all know how much even rusty 356's cost. Honestly I don't know.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 1 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #16

Its alive

Same boat here, just curious. It's quite obvious a) Adam isn't getting filthy rich here, and b) that there is a ton of work involved in finding and retrieving. Certainly there is a large subset of the market who wants the vehicle with none of that adventure and is willing/able to pay for such services (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 1 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 1 2020, 04:59 AM) *

The point I was making was that while 914 prices are increasing, especially for the really nice ones and really rare ones like 914/6's and Bumblebee's, etc. it doesn't mean that all the 914's will increase proportionally. People tend to follow trends in Porsche world and thinking the 914 is going to be the next 356 could be dangerous for someone, if they went out and spent a couple of years picking up low end cars, filling their yard, and draining their bank account. People will buy a rough 356 all day every day, so it makes sense to drag them from all across the country. But 914's aren't there yet. I was hoping to caution people from getting the fever, the buying fever.
For example, when I did this deal, I dragged back the 356's but not the 914's. It costs the same amount to get them home, but absorbing $500-1000 in shipping costs is going to suck out any profit you would make on 914's like these, but the 356's can absorb these kind of costs.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2020, 10:24 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 1 2020, 11:05 AM) *

But 914's aren't there yet. I was hoping to caution people from getting the fever, the buying fever.

Sincerely appreciate the clarification and the words of advice. I think your assessment is correct.

But . . . I also could have bought Bitcoin when it was $0.05 . . . . but didn't. Checked it yesterday, its at $19K+ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But. . . .What if 914's DO become the next 356. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Good thing the lack of space to put them keeps my Keynesian Animal Spirits in check. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Plus the Dr. already has a huge head start on me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 1 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Seems like it will be another 20 years before 914's become what 356's are today.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 1 2020, 10:58 AM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 1 2020, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2020, 09:24 AM) *

I want to be really clear. I'm not hating on anyone. Utmost respect for Unobtanium. God bless him for saving as many 356's as possible. Plus we all know from other posts how hard he works to retrieve some of these from barns, fields, etc.

I just didn't understand the post. As I re-read it maybe he's sharing wisdom that he has a pile of cash tied up in that inventory and that there really isn't a fortune to be made in it though it certaily "looks" that way in the photo given we all know how much even rusty 356's cost. Honestly I don't know.

Sorry. Not directed to you or anyone here. It’s just people get pissed at flippers but don’t want to do the background work they do.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:45 PM