Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Unfortunate dealings
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,569
Region Association: England

Hi all,

Unfortunately today I have to voice myself, I appreciate this may not sit well with some people but the truth is the truth.

Mark (mepstein) contacted me in regards to a wanted ad for a car, after some back and forth I purchased the car.

Unfortunately it isn't a good story, Its rotten where he stated it was solid, parts missing where he confirmed they were complete and I even have pictures confirming parts were swapped after my purchase and before the collection. The 4 reconditioned injectors are very dangerously leaking and iv been unable to verify engine condition because the running when parked car has relays missing- it has been suggested by a member that the injectors have been swapped for the broken ones he suggested he had returned from Mr injector- who knows.

I have contacted Mark to see if he will rectify some of the issues or missing parts who was very unhelpful.

Mark knew my health issues and i believe took advantage of my uk location.

I have all messages and picture proof, its clear im going to get no help and im stuck with what iv got but be careful when you hand over your hard earned cash because Unfortunately not everyone has good intentions.

Thanks for those who have messaged me, your support is very much appreciated.

For those who won't like what iv said l, I apologise but whatever side of the pond you are wrong is wrong and iv not listed anything I haven't got valid proof of.

He says he gave me some parts that were missing in the photos but that doesn't give him the right to steel parts from my then car.

Oh and the last thing he had to say?

LOL, have a good life!

Feel free to hate on me, iv told the truth- and if you have some parts for sale please keep a look out for the wanted advert I will need to post.

All the best.

Nathan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 3 2020, 07:14 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What? This is confusing at best.. Can you tell the story or is this just a call out thread?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 3 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

We have no idea about your personal experience with Mark- only you and he know that. All I can tell you is I have known and been dealing with Mark for over 10 years now and he has always, 100%, been upfront, honest and generous. He is a guy who has gone out of his way to help and support this community.

I am not sure how experienced you are with 914s and the condition of these cars in their unrestored condition but they are all rust buckets to varying degrees. The rule we live by is always buy the best example you can afford and be prepared for rust repair. After all, a 50 year old car with no rust protection from the factory is going to have rust and be missing parts.

I wish you the best in regard to your health and I hope you can work this out and come to love your 914 as you hopefully begin to put it together and get it back on the road.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 07:30 AM
Post #4

Its a bit of everything I guess,

Once upon a time you could take someone's word and get what you pay for, I just want to highlight how careful you need to be when handing over cash to a stranger that you thought you could trust and even more so when dealing from overseas.

I joined this forum to find a car and be around the scene, im just obviously to trustworthy- im not going to start posting pictures but I gave mark his chance and de abruptly declined so thats that.

A few dollars worth of parts there is alot by the time they get here with taxes shipping and handling- a few parts taken is a big expense to replace with little availability here.

The up side of this is I do have a car, yes its not as described but I guess its a base.

I will start a build thread when im able to get started but unfortunately my disability has taken a turn right now so it won't be for a while.

Nathan
+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 07:38 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 3 2020, 07:25 AM) *

We have no idea about your personal experience with Mark- only you and he know that. All I can tell you is I have known and been dealing with Mark for over 10 years now and he has always, 100%, been upfront, honest and generous. He is a guy who has gone out of his way to help and support this community.

I am not sure how experienced you are with 914s and the condition of these cars in their unrestored condition but they are all rust buckets to varying degrees. The rule we live by is always buy the best example you can afford and be prepared for rust repair. After all, a 50 year old car with no rust protection from the factory is going to have rust and be missing parts.

I wish you the best in regard to your health and I hope you can work this out and come to love your 914 as you hopefully begin to put it together and get it back on the road.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Micheal,

Thing is whats Wrong is wrong no matter where you live, I agree i thought he was nice but once approached and asked to rectify the stolen/changed parts he completely changed and showed his true colours.

Parts changed on the car after I bought it and things that were included are now missing- never even mentioned its had a rear wreck and has filler popping out!

Everyone will have their own story, i just have mine in pictures and emails, im stuck with how things and and what iv ended up with he just obviously thought he was more desperate than I.

Nathan
+Quote Post
dhuckabay
post Dec 3 2020, 07:39 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry to hear all of this. Been down the road myself. Seller made representations and the car did not match to. Also had pictures of it as sold, missing parts when I got it. Sued the seller and won, several years work to get the money from him. The amount rises every time I need to get the lawyer on him and interest, still don't have the money. He now owes about three times my original purchase price. Offered him an easy way out in the beginning.
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Dec 3 2020, 07:42 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry to hear about your experience with this transaction - and most importantly your health conditions.

I'm local to Mark and have known him personally for a year. He is trusting, open and a really charitable guy. I would find it difficult to think that he would have done anything shady for his own gain.

There are no perfectly solid 914's out there. If this is the car I think it was, I wish mine was half as nice when I bought it...
I hope you can get this sorted out and the ramifications of the deal don't affect your love of these cars and participating in this community.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 3 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Maintain low tones.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 3 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

All I can tell you is I have known Mark for over 16 years now when we met at Hershey PA for a car show/parts swap. He has been extremely generous to me and my family as we went through a very rough time this year. Before that he helped source parts for my project and has been a huge supporter of my business and helped develop the first website without accepting a penny.

I am not sure all of your dealings but I do know that here for a restorable 914 that has a chance of running and driving you are in 4-5k. Heck I bought my clapped out crappie non running rusted out project missing almost everything for half of that 5 years ago as there was nothing better available locally. That car has made a huge transformation.. Search my build out.. It really was bad.

I wish you the best of luck with your build and look forward to helping if I can.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I sold my '70 1.7 car to Nathan when he posted a WTB project car. I said it's very much a project, needs a ton of rust repair and will be missing a lot of parts. I explained that it had major hell hole rot, sent him pics and suggested he buy my new, restoration design suspension console because it was one of the big parts needed for a big rust repair job. I told him no bumpers, no interior, no dash, ect and sold him the car for $1.500.

We sent back and forth dozens of emails and pics but I constantly warned Nathan that this was a project car that needed work. I could make way more money parting it out but I felt a sub 40K mile car should be put back on the road. I like the car and was a bit sentimental since it was similar to the first one I owned. I also referred Nathan to my past posts on the car to show what it used to have. None of those posts were altered and they document the major hell hole rust and suspension console concern.

Nathan pleaded with me for extra parts so independent of the $1,500 sale price, I gave him seats, dash, front and rear bumpers, rear valance, interior door parts, steering wheel and a bunch of other small items. All FREE. The wheels where an old pair of steel wheels just to make it a roller for the transport company.

I got run around by his transport company, leaving work to race home, only to be told the pickup was a false alarm. a couple more similar calls until it was finally picked up.

Lately, I had tried to help him get replacement fuel injectors since he said the old ones were leaking. I made contact with the guy who was selling NOS for $50 each, offered to buy them for Nathan and ship to the UK for $30 but he declined.

This morning, he threatened me with legal action. I wished him the best but I'm not going to be part of the crazy.

I told my wife, no good deed goes unpunished.

Edited post - Nathan Is welcome to post emails, pm or pics I sent to him as long as he post them all to show the true context of the deal.
+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 07:49 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Dec 3 2020, 07:39 AM) *

Sorry to hear all of this. Been down the road myself. Seller made representations and the car did not match to. Also had pictures of it as sold, missing parts when I got it. Sued the seller and won, several years work to get the money from him. The amount rises every time I need to get the lawyer on him and interest, still don't have the money. He now owes about three times my original purchase price. Offered him an easy way out in the beginning.

He clearly thinks I'm stupid to think I wouldn't notice things like the steering wheel being swapped? It is what it is, iv had a couple of messages now that iv found interesting reading- i wont make myself popular because of this but im here for the love of the car, iv kept it factual and have the evidence.

I wont bother following it up, unfortunately it is what it is and iv learnt my lesson- it just makes it hard now buying the replacement parts.

Nathan

+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2020, 07:48 AM) *

I sold my '70 1.7 car to Nathan when he posted a WTB project car. I said it's very much a project, needs a ton of rust repair and will be missing a lot of parts. I explained that it had major hell hole rot, sent him pics and suggested he buy my new, restoration design suspension console because it was one of the big parts needed for a big rust repair job. I told him no bumpers, interior, dash, ect and sold him the car for $1.500.

We sent back and forth dozens of emails and pics but I constantly warned Nathan that this was a project car that needed work. I could make way more money parting it out but I felt a sub $40K mile car should be put back on the road. I like the car and was a bit sentimental since it was similar to the first one I owned. I also referred Nathan to my past posts on the car to show what it used to have. None of those posts were altered and they document the major hell hole rust and suspension console concern.

Nathan pleaded with me for extra parts so independent of the $1,500 sale price, I gave him seats, dash, front and rear bumpers, rear valance, interior door parts, steering wheel and a bunch of other small items. All FREE. The wheels where an old pair of steel wheels just to make it a roller for the transport company.

I got run around by his transport company, leaving work to race home, only to be told the pickup was a false alarm. a couple more similar calls until it was finally picked up.

Lately, I had tried to help him get replacement fuel injectors since he said the old ones were leaking. I made contact with the guy who was selling NOS for $50 each, offered to buy them for Nathan and ship to the UK for $30 but he declined.

This morning, he threatened me with legal action. I wished him the best but I'm not going to be part of the crazy.

If only that were the case mark! But obviously your not going to publicly shame yourself i guess.

I wont show you up posting pictures and messages but we both know and thats that.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 3 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Christmas time everyone.. I will gladly paypal you a small donation towards your project.. Lets keep in mind what a terrible year this has been. Ugh
+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #14

I feel I need to prove myself,

Here is a picture Iv zoomed into from after payment was made and before collection vs what I recieved.

I couldn't agree with you more about this year, im currently shielding because my illness makes me highly clinically vulnerable and this car was bought in order to be my ray of sunshine.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 3 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #15

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 3 2020, 09:42 AM) *

Sorry to hear about your experience with this transaction - and most importantly your health conditions.

I'm local to Mark and have known him personally for a year. He is trusting, open and a really charitable guy. I would find it difficult to think that he would have done anything shady for his own gain.

There are no perfectly solid 914's out there. If this is the car I think it was, I wish mine was half as nice when I bought it...
I hope you can get this sorted out and the ramifications of the deal don't affect your love of these cars and participating in this community.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Misunderstandings happen, and occasionally BIG ones happen. I'm sorry you feel the way you do and you're in the position you feel you are.

This isn't simply a case of this community "protecting one of their own." Many of us here have years of personal dealings with Mark where he's been nothing but generous and shown nothing but integrity.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 3 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914nb @ Dec 3 2020, 05:52 AM) *

I sold my '70 1.7 car to Nathan when he posted a WTB project car. I said it's very much a project, needs a ton of rust repair and will be missing a lot of parts. I explained that it had major hell hole rot, sent him pics and suggested he buy my new, restoration design suspension console because it was one of the big parts needed for a big rust repair job. I told him no bumpers, interior, dash, ect and sold him the car for $1.500.

We sent back and forth dozens of emails and pics but I constantly warned Nathan that this was a project car that needed work. I could make way more money parting it out but I felt a sub $40K mile car should be put back on the road. I like the car and was a bit sentimental since it was similar to the first one I owned. I also referred Nathan to my past posts on the car to show what it used to have. None of those posts were altered and they document the major hell hole rust and suspension console concern.

If only that were the case mark! But obviously your not going to publicly shame yourself i guess.

I wont show you up posting pictures and messages but we both know and thats that.

That's not how this works. You don't get to publicly shame a respected member here with no proof. If you got ripped off, show us. Talking about it isn't enough, not if you want to be taken seriously. In today's digital age it is easy to prove everything you're saying though emails, texts, and pictures. People do get ripped off on cars not being as described, parts swapped, these are all real problems, I've seen it all happen but if you call someone out, be prepared to back it up, or don't throw the grenade.

+Quote Post
914nb
post Dec 3 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 3 2020, 08:38 AM) *

That's not how this works. You don't get to publicly shame a respected member here with no proof. If you got ripped off, show us. Talking about it isn't enough, not if you want to be taken seriously. In today's digital age it is easy to prove everything you're saying though emails, texts, and pictures. People do get ripped off on cars not being as described, parts swapped, these are all real problems, I've seen it all happen but if you call someone out, be prepared to back it up, or don't throw the grenade.

Iv already posted a picture
+Quote Post
tpines
post Dec 3 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,745
Region Association: Southern California

I am sorry to hear this but as previously stated this is Christmas time and life is too short. I'll pray that you both will be able to work this out compassionately towards each other.

Clark
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 3 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914nb @ Dec 3 2020, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 3 2020, 08:38 AM) *

Iv already posted a picture

That's your proof of all your allegations, one picture?
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 3 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #20

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

With all respect to my esteemed colleague, I'm going to open this back up. However, I acknowledge and share Zach's concerns. He's not an asshole - he correctly sees huge red flags here.

We treat people with courtesy and respect, even during disagreements. If a member chooses to be rude, he is courting a time-out. There will be no warnings.

Please play nice and let my day be a boring one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:10 AM