Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Logic, Who made this decision?
bbrock
post Dec 5 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(StarBear @ Dec 5 2020, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 5 2020, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 5 2020, 09:11 AM) *

And the gas tank is in the front??? YOU'RE GOING TO DIE IN A CRASH UP IN FLAMES!

Said the Pinto owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

OH, I've told my wife many times that if that happens, just have a big loader pick up the wreck with my charred remains in it and drop it all in the 6ft hole.

Bear in mind that I was nineteen and stupid (even more than now!) when I bought my first 914. In my first week of ownership, I rear ended a pickup truck just being a dumbass. Two years later I got it out of the shop and hit a patch of black ice on bald tires that sent me right into a fire hydrant. Both incidents folded the front of the car quite nicely. I can tell you the crush zones on these cars are remarkable and the spare tire in the front the way it is is not by accident. I don't worry much about the fuel tank in the front.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Dec 5 2020, 02:59 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So back in 1972 I had a 1970 914. I think I paid $2200 which was a lot for a kid working in a grocery store and paying for engineering school. A driver in Rambler station wagon ran a stop sign and I T-boned him at about 40 mph. No injuries except my knees were knocking together for a while. The P dealer did the repair but the car did not track well at all. Later my dad took it for a drive and he was moderately rear ended. (Really good brakes!) I sold the car and missed it greatly. Fast forward 47 years. I bought my 1975 914 (same color) in April of 2019 and finally have it well sorted. It's been a great retirement/covid diversion. The best part is all of the helpful members on this site. Here are pictures of the first car.

Attached File  Crash.pdf ( 330k ) Number of downloads: 58
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 5 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #43

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Man Willow Green , Fuchs Hub Caps,,,,you were Cool !!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 5 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #44

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Porsches better mouse trap...version 1.. The in car release is probably in the glovebox..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Dec 5 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 5 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Man Willow Green , Fuchs Hub Caps,,,,you were Cool !!

Ahem, I know........
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Dec 5 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #46

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107
Region Association: Southwest Region

The first time I had a state inspection done on my Teener, a young kid was doing the inspection. He pointed, and had me open the frunk. After frowning at the lack of engine, he went around and had me open the trunk. A longer frown. I told him "Didn't you see me push it in??"

An older guy came up, pointed to the engine grill, and walked off.

+Quote Post
brcacti
post Dec 5 2020, 04:37 PM
Post #47

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Many mentioned the negatives of having to go under the hood to fuel up. Some mentioned the security of the gas locked under the hood, me I think of it as being sort of UNIQUE. I pull into a station and get many looks from that, they probably think it is part of history.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 6 2020, 01:07 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(gulf908 @ Dec 5 2020, 12:45 AM) *

Fast forward to the Essen show last year and on the Porsche stand was Ferry's silver -8.
So nothing ventured etc I asked one of the attendants if I could look under the lid so I could satisfy my long term curiousity - yes he said - I'll get the keys from the cleaner (!) and I took some pics for posterity.

The scupper design in my car makes a HELL of a lot more sense in the context of that third photo. TOTALLY explains that design.

So it was intended that all cars get a door through the hood, and that scupper is a legacy of that original design. #TheThingsYouLearn
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 6 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #49

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Having owned I think most all makes of German cars, I am totally convinced there are two old engineers, who I call Hanz and Franz, that have worked for all the major manufacturing firms in Germany and they are both slightly twisted, and have an uncanny ability to create some of the most stupid engineering ever.

Now, the Interns in Germany are always tasked to see if they can reduce the costs of some insignificant part of the interior, and we all know those parts because every single one of them has broken over the years.

Rich
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:06 PM