Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> T4 Timing specs
Charles Freeborn
post Dec 10 2020, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Interested in opinions on timing specs. Engine is 2.0 , 9.5:1 Euro pistons, big valves, Webcam 86b, IDF 44’s , headers,92 octane clear gas. ElectraMotive crank fired with adjustable settings for Initial, 3000 rpm, and 8000retard ( mine will never see 8k).
I’ve been told a variety of advice. Need the straight scoop.
Thx.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Dec 10 2020, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

Find someone with VW experience and a dyno to tune the engine. You won’t regret it.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 10 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yeah, but "finding someone with VW experience" is a tough one. For example, I've got lots of dyno opportunities up here in CT but most are Honda or 'Mercun experience.

I'd like to find out how far we can push this envelope, but I'd prefer to not use my own engines as the guinea pig... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I tune my historics racer, roughly the same specs as yours except Mallory disty, to 32* total advance at 3000 RPM.

On my dead-stock-engine street car using Microsquirt, I tickle the edges with 30-33 at max-RPM full throttle to as much as 36 at mid-throttle cruise to 40 at high-RPM mid-throttle. No clue if that's good or bad. But not really applicable to your engine specs, as this is truly a dead-stock 2L engine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Dec 10 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 10 2020, 10:40 AM) *

Yeah, but "finding someone with VW experience" is a tough one. For example, I've got lots of dyno opportunities up here in CT but most are Honda or 'Mercun experience.

I'd like to find out how far we can push this envelope, but I'd prefer to not use my own engines as the guinea pig... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I tune my historics racer, roughly the same specs as yours except Mallory disty, to 32* total advance at 3000 RPM.

On my dead-stock-engine street car using Microsquirt, I tickle the edges with 30-33 at max-RPM full throttle to as much as 36 at mid-throttle cruise to 40 at high-RPM mid-throttle. No clue if that's good or bad. But not really applicable to your engine specs, as this is truly a dead-stock 2L engine.

Fair enough. I work at such a place and there are several in Phoenix. We set most engines at 30* total advance.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 10 2020, 01:10 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Altitude and compression are important variables for timing

I change timing depending on the altitude of the track
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Dec 10 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 10 2020, 09:40 AM) *

Many thanks. I figured it was in the low 30's total. I'll start there and then see how it feels.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Dec 10 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 10 2020, 11:10 AM) *

Altitude and compression are important variables for timing

I change timing depending on the altitude of the track

For all intents and purposes it will live most of it's life at sea level. There is one track that is at 2300' so I'd add or subtract a few degrees?

The driveline was originally built and jetted for much higher altitude, so i've been wrangling with that to. I installed an AFR gauge so that has gotten easier. Modern tech, gotta love it..
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Dec 10 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 10 2020, 06:01 AM) *

Find someone with VW experience and a dyno to tune the engine. You won’t regret it.

There is a local shop with extensive experience, but their dyne is engine only, and their fees are stratospheric.
The chassis dyno in town will bring no experience to the game. I've worked on these enough to know how to dial it, but doing the dyno pass, then climbing out to analyze data, do the tuning, getting back in for another run.... makes my brain, and my back hurt.. I'll give it some thought tho..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:47 AM