Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally got some "garage time", TONS more to do, though
campbellcj
post Jul 20 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Wife and son went to a 6 year old's bday party today. I bowed out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I got a few things done that I had been meaning to take care of for a while, and couldn't put off any longer with the Open Track Racing event coming up this Weds.

I reworked the mounting on my front f/g bumper and spoiler, making them pretty easily & quickly removeable although not completely "quick release" yet. I have Dzus fasteners on the way but this was a good step forward; the spoiler was a PITA to R&R before and now is like 1 minute. I also enlarged the oil cooler cutouts to match my mondo cooler, and repainted both f/g pieces and the foghorn grille covers.

Then I replaced the speedo angle drive, which in hindsight I think I trashed while working on the exhaust system a few weeks ago. The speedo is highly inaccurate due to the short tires, but it's nice to not be staring at a dead guage all the time.

Next I oiled the ITG filters with the recommended oil, and dicked around with some other misc. stuff and gave the car a quick pre-track "going over". It's got a few oil drips (what else is new, LOL) but is starting to look really good overall, if I say so myself.

The real fun was removing the steering wheel lock. Imagine hanging upside down in a 95F garage in a fully caged car, with the race seat installed, and disconnecting and later reconnecting those steering column wires under the dash. Boy, what fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolling.gif) I went ahead and fully removed the lock mechanism, which was like one of those old wooden "Chinese Puzzles" to figure out but not that bad once I spotted all the set screws and little pins to remove. I managed to get it right on the first try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) and didn't fry anything or lose any unobtainium microscopic little springs or screws.

Finally, OF COURSE, I went for a test drive. The car handles noticably different (better) with the front spoiler installed at 70+ mph. (My last couple canyon runs were sans spoiler). I found a new loop that is absolutely fantastic and minimally residential. Cornell Rd -> Mullholland -> Stunt Road -> Saddle Peak -> Piuma Rd -> Las Virgenes The view at the top of Saddle Peak / Piuma is stunning. Like usual I got stuck behind some slow Sunday drivers, but most waved me by. Pics to follow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 21 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

A few pics from today. It was pretty muggy, hot & hazy so the view sucked, relatively speaking.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 21 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

two

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 21 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

three

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
silver six
post Jul 21 2003, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 227

I got some work on the 6 done over the weekend too. This is what I did:

1. Adjusted clutch pedal height, arc (pedal stop), secured pedal board by replacing missing hardware and zip tied out of the way wires that had obstructed the gas pedal.
2. Installed Speedometer
3. Installed new VW stationary seatbelts with Wolfsburg crest (it was trickier than expected).
4. Installed front trunk cable release with late model trunk release mechanism and complete sheath for cable.
5. Repositioned the Motronic in the rear trunk so the targa top fits.
6. Adjusted the accelerator cable.

Of course all of it took much longer than expected.

Douglas
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Just out of curiosity...

what was missing from the pedal board ??

I spent about 30 minutes digging out factory bolts/washers for the board.

Also.. how did you adjust the throttle cable ?? I ask because you can quickly lose full throttle by playing with the adjustment.

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:52 PM