Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT bought a shark
mb911
post Jan 9 2021, 09:41 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just couldn't pass it up. Needs a new hood, engine wiring, airbox,engine fuel lines but it was so nice and so cheap I will collect parts this summer for next winter project its an 89s4Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
jesse7flying
post Jan 9 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,281
Region Association: None

Nice score. I recently bought an 85 32V 928 and been busy going through its myriad problems. Just one more reason my 914 project is going no where fast. Oh well.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 9 2021, 09:48 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

You wouldn't believe how cheap it was and full documentation but bad because of the small engine (wiring) fire.. now have to fix a bunch of stuff. Gotta look for a 928 dismantler..
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 9 2021, 10:24 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Gotta love how all the Porsche variants go through the life cycle.

New - often bought by those that don't understand the marque but want the brand image & lifestyle associated even though they know or care little about Porsche or it's history.

Slightly used but highly desired, still well maintained

Moderately used and no longer maintained. Proper maintenance and repair are viewed and ridiciously priced and not worth the cost. Non-essential repairs get deferred.

Heavily used & subsequntly purchaed by broke people that want to look well to do. But, they have no way to catch up on all the deferred maintenace and mounting issues and the cars spiral downward. Usually the For Sale ad says "ran when last parked".

Cast off with the type of issues you just found or way worse.

Finally & most importantly, brought back to life by those that appreciate them.

Luckily this one found the right guy that can help bring it back! Nice Score. I've always had a soft spot for the 928 S4's even though they aren't properly air cooled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
FRUNKenstein
post Jan 9 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,308

Welcome to the 928 madness. I was just discussing the 928 market with a buddy at our weekly Porsche club breakfast this morning as he is interested in buying one. That’s a beautiful car and congratulations on the purchase.

The car itself is very robust. The Achilles heel has always been electrical problems. Go invest in some Deoxit stock now. You have a great deal of work ahead of you to rework the wiring harness due to the engine fire - that’s why it was bargain priced.

You cannot pay someone to do the work as it would kill you financially. But, there is a very robust support network of forums and parts suppliers. So, you can certainly DIY the repairs in a cost-effective manner.

My recommendation is to decide right now what your goal is for the car: get it running and enjoy it as a driver or completely rehab the car. It is very, very common in the 928 community for someone to buy a car that needs work, and then once they start repairs, they decide that they should do this other repair. And then rehab this other thing. And that leads to the next project, and the next. 5 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, the car is still sitting in the garage in pieces.

So, be forewarned - there is ALWAYS something else to re-work. You just have to determine your goals with the car as they will eat you alive if you aren’t careful.

Here’s a pic of mine. It’s in nice original condition, but certainly has its warts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dt4
post Jan 9 2021, 11:35 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,161
Region Association: England

I'd love one, I'm looking for one over here in the uk
+Quote Post
ddire333
post Jan 9 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,835
Region Association: Europe

Enjoy the project, S4 is best buy in my view. like you pick up one that had had small engine fire but, and plenty of missed maintenance - cheep, but it has turned out great and i'm looking forward to have to opposite ends of the porsche family to drive.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jan 9 2021, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Contratulations! 928s are terrific cars. Bonus that you got binders of FWSMs with the car. I look forward to watching your build thread once it begins.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 9 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 9 2021, 08:24 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Gotta love how all the Porsche variants go through the life cycle.

New - often bought by those that don't understand the marque but want the brand image & lifestyle associated even though they know or care little about Porsche or it's history.

Slightly used but highly desired, still well maintained

Moderately used and no longer maintained. Proper maintenance and repair are viewed and ridiciously priced and not worth the cost. Non-essential repairs get deferred.

Heavily used & subsequntly purchaed by broke people that want to look well to do. But, they have no way to catch up on all the deferred maintenace and mounting issues and the cars spiral downward. Usually the For Sale ad says "ran when last parked".

Cast off with the type of issues you just found or way worse.

Finally & most importantly, brought back to life by those that appreciate them.

Luckily this one found the right guy that can help bring it back! Nice Score. I've always had a soft spot for the 928 S4's even though they aren't properly air cooled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Lol first car I bought off eBay was a 79 928 5spd, original paint, but unloved from a maintenance perspective for more than 20 years. After 18 months and 2X the selling price she is a beauty and one of the nicest cars to drive. We have no idea why it appealed to us but we love it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 9 2021, 02:29 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

The amount of money that was spent on this car from motorsports exhaust, chip, to stuff as simple as paint corrections are amazing. It sold on hagerty(didn't realize they had a for sale section in 2014 for $25,000 and that was before they were really gaining value. Now to find the parts.. if anyone looks at my build thread for the 914 knows I will find a way.. just will take a while.. ultimately will likely end up for sale.. I think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but my kids and I will enjoy the project and the rewards
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jan 9 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #11

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats, Ben - keep us posted!
+Quote Post
T.Rick6
post Jan 9 2021, 03:02 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 23,512
Region Association: South East States

Hey Ben, I know a good Porsche dismantler that has a few 928's; call Joe Cogbill at CogsCogs.com , he's in North Ga. I could go up and pull what you need. Todd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 9 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Jan 9 2021, 01:02 PM) *

Hey Ben, I know a good Porsche dismantler that has a few 928's; call Joe Cogbill at CogsCogs.com , he's in North Ga. I could go up and pull what you need. Todd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Todd that would be awesome.. I need to get the thing in inside storage asap then start the parts list.. on the short list is a hood, engine wiring harness, air filter assembly, cooling fan , maybe injector harness.. that gets me pretty far. I feel like I have talked to him in the past
+Quote Post
T.Rick6
post Jan 9 2021, 03:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 23,512
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 04:16 PM) *

Todd that would be awesome.. I need to get the thing in inside storage asap then start the parts list.. on the short list is a hood, engine wiring harness, air filter assembly, cooling fan , maybe injector harness.. that gets me pretty far. I feel like I have talked to him in the past

He's an old school 356 racer that builds some awesome trans., he's pretty cool, give him a call, I'll go up next weekend if it's not raining and get what you need. Todd
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 9 2021, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Can't blame you. That's a good looking car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Jan 9 2021, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,610

That is a great new ride. The shop manuals are also a huge score. A 928 motor in a 914 would be a real next-level V-8 swap. Best of luck with it!

Konrad
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Jan 9 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #17

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407

Call up Mark Anderson. He’s a POC club racer from way back. He always had fast track cars.

http://928intl.com/repair.htm[code]

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2021, 01:16 PM) *

+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jan 9 2021, 11:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Always loved the 928s. Seems like there are tons of deals out there now. It's very tempting but can't afford to lose focus on my current project.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 10 2021, 06:56 AM
Post #19

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I second Mark Anderson @ 928 international.
928s are notorious for wiring issues and often end up with hacked repairs by guys that can't read a flow diagram. do not neglect the belt replacement schedule. And don't put a Chevy engine in it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 10 2021, 07:52 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Thanks everyone.. so on the short list will be

Engine wiring harness
Injector harness (likely)
Air filter assembly
Oil fill assembly
Water pump
Timing belts
Fan assembly
Fuel lines
Hood

I see new harnesses are like 4k but there has to be some alternatives at the very least I could rebuild a used one or talk @ironhillsrestorations build me one.

The receipts are incredible. It has around 50 receipts since new.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:49 AM