Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2056 build up, Dynamic Engine balancing
rfinegan
post Jan 11 2021, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have the last of my parts for my 2056 build up on the way. Im looking for a good shop to do the Dynamic Engine Balancing. I know I will have to ship, so I guess the location is not critical to North Carolina or East Coast. But I am looking for someone who does Type 4/VW work and is familiar with the ins and outs specific to these engines.
Can anyone one here provide a recommendation please.

Best regards

_Robert
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Montreal914
post Jan 11 2021, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Here in SoCal, I had my 2056 components balanced by European Motorworks in Hawthorne; Jorge is the contact point.

I am sure there are shops on the east coast. Maybe HAM (Hoffman Automotive Machining) could lead you to a good place. They are well known for their head work.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 12 2021, 07:28 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I had Jake do it back in the day when I bought my parts from him. But this was when he was operating the Type 4 Store. He is in Georgia.

Zach
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Jan 13 2021, 11:24 AM
Post #4

Both HAM and Euro do no mention Engine Balancing as as service on the webpages. I will have to give them a call for details...

I chatted with Jake online and He does not take outside balancing projects. But made a few suggestions. Most of the VW services in NC have dried up or closed

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 11 2021, 08:07 PM) *

Here in SoCal, I had my 2056 components balanced by European Motorworks in Hawthorne; Jorge is the contact point.

I am sure there are shops on the east coast. Maybe HAM (Hoffman Automotive Machining) could lead you to a good place. They are well known for their head work.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 13 2021, 12:51 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

In 1983, before I knew anything, I did a full case split engine rebuild. I static balanced pistons and rods within 1/10 of gram, as that’s all I could do or afford. That engine ran for a very long time. From my limited experience, dynamic balancing is the gold standard, but static balancing is not a bad thing to do
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Jan 13 2021, 01:10 PM
Post #6

My thoughts too, but now that I am changing to bigger pistons and Lighter rods,(may be a wash and I can measure that) it may be close to the counter weights of the original 2.0 but not likely. On a re ring and bearing swap..Good to go for sure.

I think for fun I will measure the estimated bob weight of each 2.0 and 2056 and see how much its changed This is what QA engineers do for fun!

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jan 13 2021, 10:51 AM) *

In 1983, before I knew anything, I did a full case split engine rebuild. I static balanced pistons and rods within 1/10 of gram, as that’s all I could do or afford. That engine ran for a very long time. From my limited experience, dynamic balancing is the gold standard, but static balancing is not a bad thing to do

+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 13 2021, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,318

I had mine done at Gregory's Fleet Supply machine shop in Norfolk, Va. Just talked to Dean there & he said they're still set up to do balancing. Phone number is 800-992-1606. Read Jake's list of what all to take to them--you'll want to have the flywheel and pressure plate mounted on to the crank. Up to you to deal with the fan end of it--not sure if I had that done also but you should if it'll fit on their machine.
Ask them about pistons & rods--you can do them yourself with a sensitive scale though...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:39 PM