Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cylinder head temperature gauge
barefoot
post Jan 15 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 14 2021, 10:07 PM) *

as i understand it - and i could be wrong - non-temperature compensated gauges will read out higher as the ambient temperature goes up and lower as it goes down. ie: if your engine temp is (for example) 250 at 72 degrees, a non-compensated display will show 260 at 82.

temp-compensated will show 250 no matter the ambient temp.

Not true, sorry.

Thermocouple based cylinder head temperature gauges use a bimetal construction that generates a voltage if one end is heated (or cooled). Thermocoulpes will measure the temperature DIFFERENCE between the hot end and the other end. Cold junction compensation introduces a measurement at the cold end then does an addition to read the actual temperature at the hot end, not just the difference.
i verified mine by placing the hot end in ~ boiling water as a bench test and got 210 degrees. Cooled to room temperature and the gauge read 73, so i know I'm reading actual head temps.
Hope this helps
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
narino
post Jan 15 2021, 03:44 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,001
Region Association: None

QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 14 2021, 08:29 PM) *

I had a VDO for years and then it failed. I ended up with this one and I've been
pleased with it so far.
https://discountegauges.com/deg-cylinder-he...10-901-12-12ft/

Aharder - This gauge is nice! Looks a lot like the micro1000 from Aircraft Spruce that Jeff and Mark Henry posted. Does it take any 14mm TC? Or is it a specific connection?

Anyone know if the square bezel on the micro1000 can be removed to leave a circular gauge?
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 15 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(narino @ Jan 15 2021, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 14 2021, 08:29 PM) *

I had a VDO for years and then it failed. I ended up with this one and I've been
pleased with it so far.
https://discountegauges.com/deg-cylinder-he...10-901-12-12ft/

Aharder - This gauge is nice! Looks a lot like the micro1000 from Aircraft Spruce that Jeff and Mark Henry posted. Does it take any 14mm TC? Or is it a specific connection?

Anyone know if the square bezel on the micro1000 can be removed to leave a circular gauge?

Agreed, I will be lining up for this one. Thanks for posting
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 15 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 15 2021, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 14 2021, 10:07 PM) *

as i understand it - and i could be wrong - non-temperature compensated gauges will read out higher as the ambient temperature goes up and lower as it goes down. ie: if your engine temp is (for example) 250 at 72 degrees, a non-compensated display will show 260 at 82.

temp-compensated will show 250 no matter the ambient temp.

Not true, sorry.

Thermocouple based cylinder head temperature gauges use a bimetal construction that generates a voltage if one end is heated (or cooled). Thermocoulpes will measure the temperature DIFFERENCE between the hot end and the other end. Cold junction compensation introduces a measurement at the cold end then does an addition to read the actual temperature at the hot end, not just the difference.
i verified mine by placing the hot end in ~ boiling water as a bench test and got 210 degrees. Cooled to room temperature and the gauge read 73, so i know I'm reading actual head temps.
Hope this helps

Perfect, thank you and my apologies.
One thing I hate is when untrue/wrong information is spread here and I hate that I'm part of doing so. Thanks for setting me - and the record - straight.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 1 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

@Mark Henry did you need to make any modifications to the sensor to get it to fit on your six?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:35 AM