Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My 2nd 914 Restomod
Blown59
post Jan 13 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,315
Region Association: None

I just acquired this 914 two days ago and I like the pedigree that goes along with it.

From what I gather through my quick skim of documents which accompany this car, this 1971 was first leased in CA back in 1971. It was leased by a member of the US Coast Guard. The 2nd owner seems to have been a member of the CG too. I am not certain about owner #3, who owned this from 1983 through 1998. In 1989 he purchased the fuel injected 2.0 that is now in the car replacing the 1.7 it came with. I believe the car came from CA to Missouri in about 1996 and was later acquired by owner #4 in 1998. The plates on the car expired in 1999 and the car has been parked since. I have the original temp ID when issued from new as well as several years of CA inspection and smog docs along with several receipts for items purchased through its life. Odometer has clicked over, believing this to have 101,809 miles. July 1992 CA smog has mileage at 55,155.

This car has very little rust and what is there is only surface, nothing cancerous except inside the rear trunk. There are a couple of dime sized holes above the muffler's heat shield. And I absolutely love that it has a quad tipped Monza exhaust. Not that the exhaust is great, but its in great shape... Chrome tips aren't rusted, has the factory tape in tact and in good shape. I like that its going to be coming off and added to my collection 'O parts for nostalgic sake.

Now for the pics....

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Blown59
post Jan 13 2021, 10:01 PM
Post #2

I'm not exactly sure which direction I want to take this... The last one I did, I flared and changed body color dramatically with Porsche's newer Chalk color and a minimalistic interior.

I like the yellow, but its not my favorite. This 2.0 will be the basis for the 2270 that WILL be built for this car. Flares will be coming too for the GT look. I just dont know how I feel about the yellow with colored sails and color mached bumpers. It rocked with the Chalk... But dont think yellow pulls it off.

The vision hasnt come for this one yet...

So, if anyone has any ideas? Suggestions? Input? Feel free to throw them out there. Maybe I'll use them, maybe I won't? Maybe they'll kickstart a new set...

Thanks for looking
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 13 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you google 914-6GT and click on images, you will get 100 different cars for inspiration.

Have fun.
+Quote Post
Blown59
post Jan 13 2021, 11:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2021, 10:43 PM) *

If you google 914-6GT and click on images, you will get 100 different cars for inspiration.

Have fun.

Thanks! Ive used a few terms, but nothing has really stood out. Maybe your term will produce more. Singer's New York provided the inspiration for my last one. I really loved the Chalk, but to repeat? I thought I should try something different. Though, I have considered the Chalk repeat with a "fluorescent" like lime green instead of the orange. Maybe instead of color matching the bumpers, doing them in the green too?

Something different... Then again, theres a part of me that says stay yellow...

There was a guy that did some renderings on here one time... Anyone know or remember who he is?
+Quote Post
Arno914
post Jan 14 2021, 02:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

Great looking 1971! Cool color, too.
Looks like the body is in good condition. Too good to be cut up for flares in my opinion. Leave those panels healthy, please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Greets from annother 1971 914

Arno
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jan 14 2021, 05:55 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I thought your first build in the chalk gray was awesome. Maybe your 914 version of this?

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 14 2021, 06:45 AM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Nice car. I thought the speedometer in 1971 only went to 120MPH.
+Quote Post
racer914
post Jan 14 2021, 07:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,513
Region Association: South East States

Any pix of the "Chalk" car? I'm considering this color for my GT build which is in process. New car looks like a good start for your next project.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 14 2021, 08:09 AM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like a great car to begin with. Since you have already done the GT flares on your last car, why not consider Tangerine Racing's flares for this build. I see a whole lot of GT flared cars and would enjoy something just a bit different to set it apart. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 14 2021, 08:27 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Grasshopper
+Quote Post
Blown59
post Jan 16 2021, 02:25 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Jan 14 2021, 02:18 AM) *

Great looking 1971! Cool color, too.
Looks like the body is in good condition. Too good to be cut up for flares in my opinion. Leave those panels healthy, please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Greets from annother 1971 914

Arno

Thank you very much! I do like the yellow, just having a hard time accepting it on my car. And as for the flares, I understand the idea of keeping healthy panels... There is a part of me that has struggled with the cutting them up. Then I came to the realization, the car while mostly original and in pretty darn good shape... Does not have the original engine. Owner 3 did the 2.0 swap. Serious high dollar collector value for originality is gone. Now its just an original swap, that will get original mods...

Who knows... Im not going to just jump into dismantling it. I plan to go through servicing, i.e... injector seals (one injector seal leaks), oil, plugs, brakes, fluid... then just drive it for the summer. Ill start collecting parts and undertake the project this coming fall.

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 14 2021, 05:55 AM) *

I thought your first build in the chalk gray was awesome. Maybe your 914 version of this?

Food for thought...

QUOTE(racer914 @ Jan 14 2021, 07:50 AM) *

Any pix of the "Chalk" car? I'm considering this color for my GT build which is in process. New car looks like a good start for your next project.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=348860
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-46/

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 14 2021, 08:09 AM) *

Looks like a great car to begin with. Since you have already done the GT flares on your last car, why not consider Tangerine Racing's flares for this build. I see a whole lot of GT flared cars and would enjoy something just a bit different to set it apart. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I like the idea of setting it apart, that is what I like to go for. But, with no offense to Chris or yourself, I am not a fan of those flares. Love talking to Chris and he's a super nice guy that gives up plenty of his time to chat... Just cant come to accept those flares.

Ive been toying with the idea of flaring the rear only. Kind of RS style... Not sure how it would look. Ive only seen pictures of 3 cars and they werent the best pictures. Ill have to hunt a bit more.

Flares just give that muscular stance.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 16 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

I don’t like rear flare only. Slab side front and rounded hip rear don’t look right to me.
+Quote Post
Blown59
post Jan 16 2021, 08:23 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 16 2021, 02:55 PM) *

I don’t like rear flare only. Slab side front and rounded hip rear don’t look right to me.

After doing some hunting, I was able to find a few more pics and even a video. I really want to like it, but just cant do it. Like you said, something about it just doesn't look right. I think the only right way to pull off the RS look would be narrowing the front flares an inch or so. Then the fender lines would match front and rear as well as give the wide rear offset.

As of now I think I'll stick with the factory yellow... I just don't like the matching bumpers on this car. I think I'll just go black. Its not the "one off" design I intended and a little common, but it works. I'll find another one to customize with some zest.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jan 16 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Nice looking car and good luck with the build.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 16 2021, 09:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

This! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Get a nice set of chrome bumpers and the rest of the chrome goodies, 5 lug conversion, 15x6 Fuchs, and the 2270. Nice sleeper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 17 2021, 07:55 AM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@Blown59 - No offense taken; just putting options on the table. And you are right, Chris is great guy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Blown59
post Jan 17 2021, 11:28 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 16 2021, 09:58 PM) *

This! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Get a nice set of chrome bumpers and the rest of the chrome goodies, 5 lug conversion, 15x6 Fuchs, and the 2270. Nice sleeper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I do have a set of Empi 15x6's new in the box sitting in my basement. They were going to replace the steelies on the '69 912 I had...

At this point, I was saving them for my daughters Olympic Blue 914 when we find it... Hers will be stock, sans a 5-lug conversion.

+Quote Post
Blown59
post Jan 17 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 17 2021, 07:55 AM) *

@Blown59 - No offense taken; just putting options on the table. And you are right, Chris is great guy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I do appreciate you putting them out there... That was the whole point of this thread. Ideas... Creative juices... I feel like an artist with a mental block right now. Eventually it'll come to me
+Quote Post
9146GUY
post Jan 27 2021, 01:08 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 19,420
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've never seen an aubergine 914......just saying
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 27 2021, 01:11 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(9146GUY @ Jan 27 2021, 02:08 PM) *

I've never seen an aubergine 914......just saying

We had one at the shop when I first started there. It was very rusty. I don't think it was original color to the car but it was real aubergine, not just purple. Cool but I think the color works better on an early 911 than 914.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:36 AM