Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> British firm re-imagines the 914
thieuster
post Jan 15 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

Have a look here: Pistonheads UK
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 15 2021, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

I'll give it to them on headlight delete with that gorgeous hood vent, but not as sure about the lighting, flares, roof, or rear spoiler. 914 shape is tricky, and I am gaining more and more respect for the solutions of Butzi's team's styling with each passing year.

I'd take the 914-4 turbo in Glen's renderings for 000, or the 914 he's working on with Sung, over this. But it's still neat to see this—and that hood vent is truly the best one I've seen for a 914. Simply beautiful…as is their chosen color.
+Quote Post
twistedstang
post Jan 15 2021, 06:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,395

I dig the hood vent and flares. The rest is ok.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 16 2021, 07:54 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Why use the boxster water cooled drivetrain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 16 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

They are getting a lot of hype for a drawing of a car. Lots of people can draw pictures. Very few can execute the build.

My guess, like all 914 projects, this one will be on jack stands for 10-20 years.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 16 2021, 10:15 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2021, 08:07 AM) *

They are getting a lot of hype for a drawing of a car. Lots of people can draw pictures. Very few can execute the build.

My guess, like all 914 projects, this one will be on jack stands for 10-20 years.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
And they should have had Optimusglen do the digital-rendering, his stuff looks more realistic to my eye.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post May 11 2021, 02:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 15 2021, 10:34 AM) *

I'll give it to them on headlight delete with that gorgeous hood vent, but not as sure about the lighting, flares, roof, or rear spoiler. 914 shape is tricky, and I am gaining more and more respect for the solutions of Butzi's styling with each passing year.

I'd take the 914-4 turbo in Glen's renderings for 000, or the 914 he's working on with Sung, over this. But it's still neat to see this—and that hood vent is truly the best one I've seen for a 914. Simply beautiful…as is their chosen color.
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 16 2021, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2021, 08:07 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
And they should have had Optimusglen do the digital-rendering, his stuff looks more realistic to my eye.

Thanks guys! I've discussed the Fifteen Eleven 914 with the modeler (he may have a large part in the design as well) and I'm not going to talk bad about it. As I've mentioned before, it's not my personal cup-of-tea but I'm happy to see the 914 getting some attention.

To Pete's point, he's absolutely correct. The more I study design, the more I appreciate the original forms. Making a modern representation of a classic generally does a disservice to both unless a tremendous amount of talent and time are spent.

THAT SAID, the project I've been involved with is trying to do just that and make it work. Ours is more attainable, with an air cooled 6 and the RSR center lock stuff that is all basically off the shelf. It's still a challenge to bring this into the real world, as we're finding. Currently, ours is "back-burnered" as we don't have a builder who will put their heart into the project. It will still be built someday but may end up being a one-off instead of a limited run of 10 with part sales after.

For those interested, here's one of the last unofficial renderings I made of the Viceroy 914. Even now, there are things I see when I look at ours that I'm not entirely pleased with. I hope to be able to continue the exercise.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-19709-1620765033.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:31 AM