Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SOT; quality wheel bearings/hubs, for VW Tiguan
fixer34
post Jan 15 2021, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Had my 2011 VW Tiguan in to the shop. They had to pull the intake manifold and media blast the intake valves to clean off carbon buildup. Computer was throwing misfire codes.

Anyway, while it was in, they said front wheel bearings noisy and need to be done in the near future. The shop price was $300/ea. I can find ones online for $50/ea, but not gonna go there. Seems like FAG and Timken are about in the middle on price, and pretty well known names. Any opinions/experience with these, or maybe another brand?

I have no problem doing this myself, just don't want to do it too often.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Superhawk996
post Jan 16 2021, 03:26 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Typical bearing design life - 10 years / 150,000 miles with B10 life. B10 life is the life at which 10% of the population of parts will have failed.

There is a distribution to life. Highly dependent on driving styles, road conditions like potholes, salt induced corrosion, dirt roads vs. paved, etc.

You didn't do bad at 115k. I've had some make it to 160k on vehicles like minivan's that dont get a lot of lateral G! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wife's PT cruiser once had 215K and wheel bearings were never replaced before the front subframe crossmember disolved making it no longer fit for the road. She's not known for pulling high G on cloverleafs!
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jan 16 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 16 2021, 03:26 PM) *

Typical bearing design life - 10 years / 150,000 miles with B10 life. B10 life is the life at which 10% of the population of parts will have failed.

There is a distribution to life. Highly dependent on driving styles, road conditions like potholes, salt induced corrosion, dirt roads vs. paved, etc.

You didn't do bad at 115k. I've had some make it to 160k on vehicles like minivan's that dont get a lot of lateral G! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wife's PT cruiser once had 215K and wheel bearings were never replaced before the front subframe crossmember disolved making it no longer fit for the road. She's not known for pulling high G on cloverleafs!

Just the kind of information I was looking for, on both of your posts. I'm happy with the 10yrs/115k. Garage said they are a little noisy, but no play yet, so it can wait until warmer weather. Yea, it's a turbo so 'maybe' I push it a little on the curves and highway ramps...

The FAG replacements were on my short-list; I pretty much ruled out the $50 ones since I expect to have the car a while yet. Was also thinking the VW branded were a bit high (I doubt VW manufactures their own...)

Thanks again.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:32 PM