Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor, 0 280 130 017 Readings
dlee6204
post Jan 16 2021, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Howdy

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,956

I recently acquired a NOS temperature sensor for the one year only '73 Djet system 0 280 130 017. This sensor has been NLA for a very long time and finding a used one is very difficult. Given the rarity there isn't a lot of information on the proper resistance values of this sensor. Pbanders (https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm) lists three data points for the resistance of this sensor but I thought I would post my findings. I also listed the values of the aftermarket sensor 0 280 130 012 available from 914Rubber.

Attached Image

Attached Image

@Superhawk996 This answers some of your concerns.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 16 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Maybe this should go to classics so information is readily available.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 16 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) @dlee6204

This is awesome work. You're going to force my hand and get me motivated to measure and plot my used Bosch 0280130017 vs. a Bosch NOS 012 sensor sooner rather than later.

Great work. I'll try to carve off some time this weekend to see if I can add a 2nd data point to this fine work.
+Quote Post
Richard McLeod
post Jan 16 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,533

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 16 2021, 10:07 AM) *

I recently acquired a NOS temperature sensor for the one year only '73 Djet system 0 280 130 017. This sensor has been NLA for a very long time and finding a used one is very difficult. Given the rarity there isn't a lot of information on the proper resistance values of this sensor. Pbanders (https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm) lists three data points for the resistance of this sensor but I thought I would post my findings. I also listed the values of the aftermarket sensor 0 280 130 012 available from 914Rubber.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Do you use the 270 ohm resistor in series with CHT sensor?
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jan 16 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(Richard McLeod @ Jan 16 2021, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 16 2021, 10:07 AM) *

Do you use the 270 ohm resistor in series with CHT sensor?

This test is for the sensor only. I would add the inline resistor to any ‘73 2.0L system regardless of which sensor you are running.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 16 2021, 12:37 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 16 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Maybe this should go to classics so information is readily available.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This information has been sorely lacking with a lot forums implying that the 012 sensor is the same and/or close enough. Data above shows they are quite different during initial warm up.
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jan 22 2021, 02:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,451
Region Association: None

Hi,
I really appreciate your work and started to transfer the 'Fahrenheit' into 'Celsius'-readings for a documentation.

I realized these readings do end below the temperature of boiling water - this isn't realistic for the operating temperature of an aircooled engine that should be at about 120°C - 250°F.

Following a German aircooled-forum, the critical temperature at the cylinder head is much higher - about 250°C - 480°F.

Could you please add some readings at higher temperature? You could use engine oil - I used vegetable oil for testings before but I don't own the 914-sensors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the values of the sensors differ - but like superhawk996 wrote before, this will mostly affect the warming-up sequence. It would be interesting to know the values at a fully-warmed-up engine. Maybe there isn't any difference - and this is the point that matters.
D-Jet cars run quite rich in warming up, therefore the replacement-sensor could even be the better choice.

Best Regards
Norbert

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 22 2021, 06:39 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

When I do my set up I'll extend past 212F but won't go to 480F. Would be at risk of dropping valve seats up at those temps. Propose stopping at 300 - 350F.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 22 2021, 08:47 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,610

Come on Hawk! Grenade your heads for us in the name of SCIENCE. LOL
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 22 2021, 08:49 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 22 2021, 09:47 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Yeah, I think I'll go the oil route as Norbert suggested. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jan 22 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #11

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you for posting this-think I asked this question here months ago but heard only crickets - so I truly appreciate your efforts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

A friend gave me on old CHTS so I thought I should check them both while the motor is out - are the values different for other D-jet years?
+Quote Post
adolimpio
post Jan 23 2021, 10:37 PM
Post #12

Art

Member No.: 11,449
Region Association: South East States

There was a suggestion to add a 2400 ohm resister in parallel to the 012 to make it equivalent to the 017 at 70 degrees. I added a third line to the chart to show what that would look like. Doesn't look like a good idea - running pretty lean a low temps!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 24 2021, 07:52 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a couple 003 that were superceded by the 012. They are also used to enrich fuel on cold mornings according to Anders.
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jan 24 2021, 10:20 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 22 2021, 03:47 PM) *

I think you didn't realize in full what I wrote before - maybe because I'm not a native speaker, maybe because you don't realize the problem because you are just looking after some 'LOL' effects.

I just asked for some readings made at a realistic operating temperature.

This temperature is above the readings that have been posted.

Heating up the sensor in water doesn't reach the real engine head temperatures because the water boils... using oil instead is the way to measure at higher temperatures.

Best Regards
Norbert

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 24 2021, 10:22 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Will try to do this later today once I get tired of welding. I totally understood your proposal to use oil. I think the others were just having some fun.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 24 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(adolimpio @ Jan 23 2021, 11:37 PM) *

There was a suggestion to add a 2400 ohm resister in parallel to the 012 to make it equivalent to the 017 at 70 degrees. I added a third line to the chart to show what that would look like. Doesn't look like a good idea - running pretty lean a low temps!

Attached Image

The Cylinder Head Temps rise pretty quickly from those low temps. And from 80deg on they are pretty close. with the parallel resistor

I consider it a non-issue (JMHO)

It really depends on your engine.

I run a 1K resistor in parallel which theoretically should make my engine too lean at cold temps. But my wideband AFR tells a different story.

My engine will not idle nicely immediately upon startup. but once I drive 1 mile it is warm enough to idle (In my case, by the second Stop sign.)

One positive thing about the parallel resistor is if your CHT has a bad connection / failure, You engine will die on the spot. with the parallel resistor it will just go into a rich condition. You will still be able to drive on. I had this happen on the way home from Tennerpaluza. A little fiddling with the connection in the safety of a parking lot, instead of on the side of the road enabled me to remedy the problem and continue on.
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jan 24 2021, 11:58 AM
Post #17

Hi,
my <water-cooled> engine died after 2 mls. The connector was broken.
Since then I have a simple 180-Ohm-resistor, 1/4 Watt in the car I could easily install.

@Superhawk996 : Thank you for doing the job...

Regards
Norbert
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 26 2021, 07:27 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Measured my used 017 sensor vs. New In Bag 012 Bosch sensor up to higher operating temperatures. As expected, both 017 and 012 converge to within about 10 ohms of each other at operating temperature. Remember that the 1973 only ECU setup is expecting a 270 ohm in-series resistor that would be expected in ADDITION to the 017 sensor. These measurements are of the sensor only.

Since I measured using oil up to higher temps my data set is light on temperatures below 44 degrees F. Since it's winter here in Michigan I may be able to use the weather to my advantage in the coming weeks to get some good data well below 32 F. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I measured in oil by heating on the way up and then allowing ambient cooling on the way down to get the hysteresis.

Here's my data alone 017 vs. 012 inclusive of hysteresis

Attached Image

And my data combined with the intial data sets from @dlee6204 to provide a second sample for a used 017 sensor and a NOS/NIB 012 Bosch sensor

Attached Image

Data set:
Attached Image

@nordfisch
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jan 26 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 26 2021, 02:27 PM) *

Here's my data alone 017 vs. 012 inclusive of hysteresis

@Superhawk996
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
Thank you so much for your work!

I'll have the time to build a chart with the 'Celsius' values tomorrow.

I think the engine warms up so fast that the difference in the sensors doesn't matter much.
Yes, an engine will run up to four times richer at temperatures way below zero (Celsius) <the same as if the sensor cable is broken>, but the sensor will warm up in much less than one minute and the mixture will be in the normal range soon.

Best regards
Norbert
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jan 29 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #20

Hi,
sorry for replying later than supposed...

In the meantime I contacted Volker Huck from jetronic.org and asked him for values of the influence of the CHT resistance to the injection time.
He didn't measure it up to this time. Said he had to do it using the specific ECU-type because they all react different.
But he has the same opinion as we have - the difference between the sensors doesn't matter much because the engine head warms up rapidly in after a short time the sensors show almost the same values then.
He reminded me there are values for the ...017-sensor in the German workshop- manual published by Bosch...

I have to say the values from Bosch are meant without resistor and I tried to read out the values in my chart below from @Superhawk996 's graphic and from his chart.
Please notice the sensor data published by Bosch is at different temperatures for the different sensors.

I think, there is an error in the readings of the first 017 sensor <blue>.
Magnifying the graph, I can see a double line, too... think I corrected the error in my chart.

Attached Image

Regards
Norbert
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:57 AM