Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions for gauges for my GT tribute
jhynesrockmtn
post Jan 17 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm in the process of prepping this GT tribute for some vintage race events and DE. It was built and used in CA previously for autox and time trial events.

It was built using a 914-6 donor car, so it has the dash of a factory euro 6 from what I can tell. Notice Speedo in KPH. The gauges do seem to function although the tach is in need of some love and for my use I want to make sure I'm getting accurate temps and oil pressure. I'd also like to add a fuel gauge as I have the factory sending unit in my fuel cell.

Do I put new gauges in the pod or leave it and add some gauges elsewhere on the dash?

I do want to preserve as much of the factory look as possible.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 17 2021, 11:41 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Make the press/temp gauge into a triple/904 gauge
Period and GT correct

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jan 17 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks like the OP has a regular 911 Oil Temp/Pressure gage? The combo one posted by mepstein is nicer though. For my 914/4, I had oil temp and oil pressure gages (small, VDO gages) in a bracket where the ashtray was. Nice line of sight location imho. Others would argue that race cars don't need speedos (except for pit lane limiters) so you could consider replacing that with something else.

You'll likely have to ditch that cheap foam padding for some more modern dual density padding on your rollcage ( something like this? https://www.ogracing.com/collections/car-roll-bar-padding ) - read your rulebook for what is required
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Jan 17 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 17 2021, 09:41 AM) *

Make the press/temp gauge into a triple/904 gauge
Period and GT correct

I'll take a look at that option, thanks. I assume Hollywood speedo and similar would be the right places to connect with. I don't know that I'd convert mine but could tuck it away and get one done.

+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Jan 17 2021, 03:50 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Racer @ Jan 17 2021, 10:05 AM) *

Looks like the OP has a regular 911 Oil Temp/Pressure gage? The combo one posted by mepstein is nicer though. For my 914/4, I had oil temp and oil pressure gages (small, VDO gages) in a bracket where the ashtray was. Nice line of sight location imho. Others would argue that race cars don't need speedos (except for pit lane limiters) so you could consider replacing that with something else.

You'll likely have to ditch that cheap foam padding for some more modern dual density padding on your rollcage ( something like this? https://www.ogracing.com/collections/car-roll-bar-padding ) - read your rulebook for what is required

Separate gauges is another good option and I'll look at that.

Has anyone done both as a fail safe and to add another option in the cockpit?

All the old padding is coming out. I'll be inspecting the cage and repainting it.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 17 2021, 04:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

When I'm prepping a race car, I minimize what The Monkey has to do aside from driving the car. Minimal visual interruptions.

I like the triple-gauge setup: easy, period correct, and you can wax pencil some norm operating lines on the glass and not worry aboutmucking up the gauge.

I don't like the idea of "extra backup" gauges. Too many things to manage. Yours either work or they don't. And if they don't work, then make them work.

However, I do like the idea of hidden data acq somewhere, with engine parameters input. This way you can download and review logs - in the paddock - for potential problems occuring at times when you may not be watching the gauges (which is almost "always".)

BTW, for anyone suddenly getting the vapors on my calling the driver The Monkey, do note that I drive the cars I build, too. I got more important things to worry about than monitoring gauges. My strategy is to put one big red shiny flashy light in front my my face and config anything to turn it on when it's time to park the car. I can review data later for trends. This ain't LeMans, you know...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 18 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Factory

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 26 2021, 07:38 PM
Post #8

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 17 2021, 03:34 PM) *

When I'm prepping a race car, I minimize what The Monkey has to do aside from driving the car. Minimal visual interruptions.

I like the triple-gauge setup: easy, period correct, and you can wax pencil some norm operating lines on the glass and not worry aboutmucking up the gauge.

I don't like the idea of "extra backup" gauges. Too many things to manage. Yours either work or they don't. And if they don't work, then make them work.

However, I do like the idea of hidden data acq somewhere, with engine parameters input. This way you can download and review logs - in the paddock - for potential problems occuring at times when you may not be watching the gauges (which is almost "always".)

BTW, for anyone suddenly getting the vapors on my calling the driver The Monkey, do note that I drive the cars I build, too. I got more important things to worry about than monitoring gauges. My strategy is to put one big red shiny flashy light in front my my face and config anything to turn it on when it's time to park the car. I can review data later for trends. This ain't LeMans, you know...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have a big red light too, you’d be amazed how many drivers ask me what it’s for and why I have????
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 13 2021, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

I like the standard “factory” look with a oil pressure and temp combo gauge cuz thats all you need plus a gas gauge in the radio spot
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:10 AM