Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First Running Issue in 24K miles
Bulldog9
post Jan 19 2021, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Took the day for a drive yesterday, about 8 hours and 250 miles. First half was mostly twisty roads in the Northern Blue Ridge, and wanted to get home as the sun was setting and temps dropping (34degrees), and I still havent done the heater blower.

I took the super slab and was cruising along at 75-80 mph for about 45 minutes, and had a sudden stumble, intake pop and black smoke out the rear. The car continued to run and I made it the last 70 miles home with a sluggish motor, and occasional intake pop. Haven't checked anything yet, but I am thinking coil or ignition. Didn't seem to be any specific cyl, and the intake pop was moving around. Also the idle is a little stumbly but stable. I don't think it is carb related as the change was sudden, and no settings were changed, and I have about 500 miles on the car post recent Tangerine cooling fan install.

I'm running the Pertronix Billet Distributor, with Flamethrower II and matched coil. One thing I did notice was that the coil lead was loose when I disassembled and reinstalled. I cleaned up the connector and spread out the connector, but when I reconnected it didn't have that satisfying click. I was thinking it may be the coil itself too, or even the power to the coil, but not ruling out a gas related issue. I was about 50 miles into a fill up. Once temps are up I will start working through it.

Appreciate any thoughts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:51 PM