Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Out with the Megasquirt!, and in with....
JamesM
post Jan 20 2021, 02:08 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

and in with.... well... MORE MEGASQUIRT!!!!

Little back story here and then a bunch of pictures.

I have several 914s but the one I refer to as my "autocross car" (which started as my daily driver in the late 90s) has AFAIK been running Megasquirt possibly longer than any other 914 on the planet. For the last 17 or so years it has been the platform I have experimented on and in that time has seen at least 5 different Megasquirt configurations across 2 different motors. This ongoing project is one of the reasons I am so intimately familiar with both Megasquirt and D-jet as to date all the configurations I have ran in this particular car have done so using an unmodified d-jet wiring harness which required a good deal of study/reverse engineering.

At one point my focus was on making a completely stealth setup (looks exactly like a d-jet system) which I did, however as the Megasquirt feature set improved over the last 17 years and my focus moved more towards the overall performance of the system I kept hastily hacking in additional features (mainly having to do with the addition of full ignition control and O2 feedback) and an ancillary rats nest started to grow around my once stock looking system. Remembering what all extra wires plugged in where started to become tedious, especially if I would go extended periods without doing anything to them. With the desire to change/add additional elements to the system I decided I needed to just bite the bullet and build a whole new system from the ground up. Technically i have been planning (sitting on the parts) to do this for years but as the current system ran just fine it was lower on my priority list. The whole COVID situation has allowed me lots of time to get pretty much every other project done on all my other cars, so it was time to move forward with this one.

Details on the system coming out:
ECU: Completely custom (see homemade) ECU board based on the MS1 2.2 circuit design however I modified the injector circuits to supply a switched current rather than a switched ground in order to work with the D-jet harness, and then later retrofitted an MS2 CPU to expand the feature set.

Injectors: Stock 914 2.0 off a stock pressure regulator

Ignition: Full timing control currently triggered via Pertronix pickup modified with a pullup resistor in a stock distributor with a locked out mechanical advance. Output is then from the MS system to a Mallory 6AL CD box (this was a really easy way to trigger a coil from Megasquirt back in the day as it can take a logic level input)

The Goals of this project
1. Cleaning up the engine bay wiring and simplifying the connections (single harness plug to the stock relay board and thats it!)
2. Move to a 36-1 crank trigger
3. Add a 2nd MAP sensor for real time barometric correction (we have some high mountains around these parts)
4. Eliminate the distributor and CD ignition box
5. Swap the LC1 wideband controller for the newer(and smaller) LC2
6. Use a modern Fuel Injector with known voltage offset values (will get more into this later)
6.Stop using the d-jet harness (Will elaborate on this as well)

WHY???!?!
Back at the end of the 90s I was a d-jet purist, carbs to me have always been a step back and never an option for me, so when my d-jet system started acting up one of the things I did at the time was to purchase a new wiring harness made by a company called R.E.S. Systems. This was the only NEW replacement harness available at the time and is still an absolute work of art as far as i am concerned, overbuilt like no other d-jet harness you have ever seen. Needless to say it was not a piece I wanted to take off the car and replace with whatever homemade harness my limited experience could coble together at the time, so i invested time in figuring out how I could retrofit an MS system (also very new at the time ~2003) into an otherwise stock d-jet setup. Now, while doing this does result in a system that works as well as a good d-jet system I am here to tell everyone once and for all that D-jet does have some inherent faults with its design and that those faults become very apparent when you can see them in data logs and also when you realize that a lot of the known d-jet operational "quirks" follow you when running a modern ECU on the d-jet harness. The nicest d-jet harness in the world does not eliminate these issues, they are inherent in the design.
So in the interest of having the best running car possible a new design harness is needed, which is fine by me as i want to integrate everything into a single harness anyways.
Other things to come with the new build, modern 43 PSI injectors should atomize the fuel better, in addition having known voltage offset tables is mandatory to achieve the most consistant tune across all operating conditions. The change to the 36-1 crank trigger is for increased accuracy but also to improve ease of cold starts over the 4 tooth cam trigger.
Getting rid of the distributor was not mandatory but I had an idea for a new setup I wanted to try out, so its getting worked in the changes as well.

Had a week of vacation time to burn after Christmas that seemed like the perfect time to get this all done so...

on with the show...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
JamesM   Out with the Megasquirt!   Jan 20 2021, 02:08 AM
JamesM   Will start with the "before" pictures, t...   Jan 20 2021, 02:30 AM
JamesM   Factor contributing to the rats nest, coming out...   Jan 20 2021, 02:36 AM
JamesM   and now the part that makes me sad... pulling the ...   Jan 20 2021, 02:41 AM
JamesM   New ECU is just going to be an off the shelf Micro...   Jan 20 2021, 02:48 AM
JamesM   And now the REALLY fun part... putting this in the...   Jan 20 2021, 03:00 AM
JamesM   After i got the spacing relative to the engine I p...   Jan 20 2021, 03:15 AM
JamesM   And now for the next surprise idea(s). I want to ...   Jan 20 2021, 03:32 AM
JamesM   The coil pack is the biggest unknown/experiment of...   Jan 20 2021, 03:50 AM
JamesM   The entirety of everything that came off the car i...   Jan 20 2021, 03:53 AM
JamesM   Pre flight checks on the new 36-1 crank trigger lo...   Jan 20 2021, 04:01 AM
GregAmy   [i]I. LOVE. THIS. Care to make another? [b]@[ur...   Jan 20 2021, 08:18 AM
JamesM   [i]I. LOVE. THIS. Care to make another? [b]@[u...   Jan 20 2021, 10:32 AM
GregAmy   You would have to ask [b]@[url=http://www.914wor...   Jan 20 2021, 10:41 AM
JamesM   You would have to ask [b]@[url=http://www.914wo...   Jan 20 2021, 12:52 PM
GregAmy   Assuming the coil you are running is the VAG 032 9...   Jan 20 2021, 02:19 PM
JamesM   [quote name='JamesM' post='2884419' date='Jan 20 ...   Jan 20 2021, 05:12 PM
BeatNavy   James, that's excellent. Thanks for posting t...   Jan 20 2021, 05:02 AM
JamesM   James, that's excellent. Thanks for posting ...   Jan 20 2021, 11:57 AM
Porschef   :popcorn: :beer2:   Jan 20 2021, 05:27 AM
rhodyguy   Incredible! Your skills are impressive.   Jan 20 2021, 07:23 AM
GregAmy   Sounds like we're brothers from another mother...   Jan 20 2021, 08:11 AM
JamesM   Sounds like we're brothers from another mothe...   Jan 20 2021, 02:53 PM
GregAmy   ...but knowing the limitations of the design of t...   Jan 20 2021, 03:45 PM
JamesM   If we could find someone to fab up these harness...   Jan 20 2021, 05:29 PM
GregAmy   I think once a 914 specific system is widely avail...   Jan 21 2021, 08:05 AM
JamesM   I think once a 914 specific system is widely avai...   Jan 21 2021, 09:42 AM
jesse7flying   Wow! I'm looking for the Google translato...   Jan 20 2021, 09:53 AM
brant   Nice !!! work James !   Jan 20 2021, 10:09 AM
914werke   :headbanger:   Jan 20 2021, 10:23 AM
Porschef   Greg, what about a phenolic block spacer, kinda li...   Jan 20 2021, 11:26 AM
Montreal914   Just read the whole thread! :) Super nice ins...   Jan 20 2021, 03:18 PM
JamesM   Here is my coil bracket I did out of ~16ga steel...   Jan 20 2021, 05:44 PM
76-914   Great read James. Excellent results. I applaud you...   Jan 20 2021, 07:57 PM
JeffBowlsby   Someone needs to speak up against what some may mi...   Jan 20 2021, 08:50 PM
JamesM   Hey Jeff! figured I would see you here eventu...   Jan 21 2021, 01:40 AM
Frank S   "...Lots of advantages over stock d-jet inj...   Jan 21 2021, 03:37 AM
JamesM   To get this thread back on an more interesting not...   Jan 21 2021, 02:24 AM
Frank S   James, I did not work with Microsquirt so far and...   Jan 21 2021, 05:58 AM
BeatNavy   James, I did not work with Microsquirt so far an...   Jan 21 2021, 07:10 AM
Frank S   [quote name='Frank S' post='2884569' date='Jan 21...   Jan 21 2021, 08:10 AM
GregAmy   I agree with Jeff's premises. And of course I ...   Jan 21 2021, 08:35 AM
JamesM   I agree with Jeff's premises. And of course I...   Jan 21 2021, 09:44 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:58 PM