Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Questions About Flipping 5th for 3rd, Read Some Threads But Still Confused
motorvated
post Jan 20 2021, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just purchased a used Q gear set for my 901 transaxle and I am planning on flipping 5th for 3rd, using the Q for 4th, and 4th for fifth for my race car. I have read threads about how to "flip" 5th, implying that it is as simple as swapping the two gears of the 5th gear set to the opposite shafts where the old 3rd was located, driving to driven and vice versa. I haven't yet opened up and pulled the gear stack from the case, so maybe things will become clear to me when I do. Right now as I look at my new Q gear set, I see that one gear has internal splines (the driving gear I assume) and the other has a smooth bore (driven gear with syncros and dog teeth). See photos below of Q gear set.Attached Image Attached Image

I assume that the fifth gear set that is in the stack is of the same configuration, and if so, I do not see how the two gears can just we swapped onto the opposite shafts, as the gear with the internal splines would no longer be located on the splined driving shaft and the internal diameters of the gears are not the same.

Also I am unsure of how the fifth gear syncro configuration is supposed to work with the flip. Since the syncro is on the driven gear, once flipped, won't it now be in the wrong position being on the driving gear?

I apologize if my questions indicate that I really don't understand how this is supposed to work, but at this point, I really don't. Any and all help/advice will be appreciated greatly. I have already purchased Dr. Evil's rebuild DVD which I think will answer some of my questions, but I'm not sure if the DVD covers a 5th gear flip.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:54 AM