Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914Rubber fender liner installation
raynekat
post Jan 31 2021, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Installing the 914Rubber fender liners....

They come with rivets for fastening the plastic liners to the mounting brackets.
It quickly became apparent that installation was going to be difficult if I used the rivets.
The rivets fasten the liner to the mounting brackets and then the brackets use your rocker panel and valance sheet metal bolts to hold the liner in place.

So I opted to use speed nuts that sit on the mounting brackets so that hex headed metric screws could be used instead of the rivets.
Here was the hardware and bracket ready to bolt into the car.

Attached Image

The reason I went this will become apparent pretty quickly.
Here's the leading edge (front) that utilizes the valance mounting bolt.
In theory you could have put this in as a unit (bracket and liner) as you actually have access to the bolt that mounts the valence.

Attached Image

The real problem with the rivet method is mounting the trailing edge (rear) bracket that uses the rocker cover bolt.

Attached Image

You can't access the bolt to secure the bracket to the rocker cover as it's behind the liner.
So with my method you mount the bare bracket first and then fasten the liner to the bracket.
Here's a better view of the finished product.
No way you're getting your hand in behind the liner to tighten or loosen the bracket with the liner in place.

Attached Image

With the speed nut and hex head screws I used, you can easily take the liner off in a matter of minutes without removing the brackets at the valance and rocker panel.
Inspection and cleaning is still an easy thing to accomplish.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:26 PM