Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Heat exchanger pressure test fixtures. Available to lend, Update. They work. One leak found
bdstone914
post Feb 1 2021, 07:16 PM
Post #1

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

I completed the fixtures for the 2.0L and the 1.7-1.8 type flanges. They work fine.
Apreaciate all of the input from others. I think the chance of blowing up a thick wall tube is very unlikely with low presure. I worry more about my air compressor tank blowing at 150 PSI.
I did find one leak and not where I expected one. It is where the pipe is welded to the flange which mounts to the head. It took several minutes to see pressure decay. I then placed each fixtue under water and found the leak. Looks like the PO did a "make it fit" by drilling out the hole on the boss that goes to the head. It is a very is a slight leak which did show at 60 PSI and may not have leak under normal use. See video.

If anyone wants to test their heat exchangers I will lend these out for the $10 cost of shipping. I have two sets. one for 2.0 and one for 1.7 and 1.8 pattern.

Heat exchanger pipes can develop cracks that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
I made a set of test plates to be able to pressurize the pipes and check for leaks. I used 1/2" aluminum remnants that cost about $8. I added tire stem valves to the small plates that will bolt to the cylinder head ends of the pipe. Another plate bolts to the muffler end of the heat exchanger flange. They are lined with 1/8 Neoprene rubber to seal. I have a bicycle pump with a built in pressure gauge I am going to used to pressurize both pipes. They should hold pressure for an extender time. At this time O just made a 2.0 style plate but have material to make one for the 1.7 & 1.8 pattern.
After I test the ones I have I can lend them is $8 USPS Priority mail shipping is paid both ways.
The first attempt used 1/16" cork/rubber as a gasket and they had slow leaks as there was not enough compression.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 02:17 PM