Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 GT front hood prop rod install
raynekat
post Feb 7 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It's been a few months since I installed my PMB Performance 914-6 GT front hood prop rod.
Thought I'd share as it's a very slick replica of the original and a "must have" in my mind for those that have lightweight hoods.

Here's the installed product in my car:

Attached Image

When not in use, the springs allow the prop rod to rotate up and out of the way against the underside of the hood.
Pretty slick I'd say.
Those Porsche race engineers.....

Attached Image

In my application, I was unable to land the bottom of the prop rod on the backside of the fuel tank wall because the flange on the fuel tank interfered.
So I instead I had my prop rod land on the frontside with the help of a very small catchment clip....just something I had laying around in my box of junk that seemed to be about the right size.

Attached Image

Attached Image

For my installation, I modified some of the installation methods/hardware as my very thin supports on the backside of my Getty hoods would not allow use of the supplied nutserts.
Instead I used an appropriately sized bolt and nut.
I just happened to have a rubber grommet that was the perfect size to put on the perimeter of the bolt head.....it fits very snuggly.
It acts as a buffer between the prop rod mount and the underside of the fiberglass hood.

Attached Image

This is a great setup for a lightweight hood prop rod.
It is somewhat "delicate" so I wouldn't advise using it in 40mph winds.
Or with heavy stock metal hoods.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:45 AM