Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Soot in throttle body, Runs perfectly
oakdalecurtis
post Feb 21 2021, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Just curious, have 76 2.0, stock except for Crane Fireball EE, runs flawlessly, just had valves done. I had cleaned the throttle body a few years ago, just noticed, while air cleaner was off, a good layer of soot on throttle plate and inside throttle body. Is this indicative of anything?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Feb 21 2021, 04:50 PM) *

Just curious, have 76 2.0, stock except for Crane Fireball EE, runs flawlessly, just had valves done. I had cleaned the throttle body a few years ago, just noticed, while air cleaner was off, a good layer of soot on throttle plate and inside throttle body. Is this indicative of anything?

Probably running too rich Curtis.

Check that your aux cold start valve (5th injector) &/or that the other 4 injectors aren't running too rich.

Check the plugs for carbon build-up too.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Feb 22 2021, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Feb 21 2021, 05:50 PM) *

75-76 cars the crank case vents into the air box just before the throttle plate so oil vapor, blow by gasses, etc are all getting sucked through the throttle body. Cant say for sure if that is what is going on, but I wouldn't expect the throttle plate to clean and shiny on the late cars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 23 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 22 2021, 07:26 PM) *

75-76 cars the crank case vents into the air box just before the throttle plate so oil vapor, blow by gasses, etc are all getting sucked through the throttle body. Cant say for sure if that is what is going on, but I wouldn't expect the throttle plate to clean and shiny on the late cars.

A good point to add to our telecon last night Curtis.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 23 2021, 01:24 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 22 2021, 10:26 PM) *

Weber carbs get what's called "carbon tracing lines" on the butterflies when you have worn throttle shaft bushings.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:46 PM