Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> seat options with better support and the taller driver, what have those drivers 6 foot plus found? I want a head rest that actually behind not below my head!
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2021, 07:39 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

first off- i am 6'1", the primary use of this seat will be for AX and trips to the mountains, aggressive driving. I want better side support and head protection. right now if i got hit from behind like Clay did my head would be shattering the rear window, so this is not a good scenario.

i've been searching forum here looking at what others have used. I have looked at the seats that Stefan at GTS Classics makes, and as i look at those options, it seems the best fit and option might be the one that has a 914 shaped headrest but can be raised and lowered, i think it s the Nurburgring, but recently saw a set a member had made i think were the Watkins Glen, they seem to fit in a 914 nicely but the headrest is fixed in place and does not appear to be taller than stock,

So i am looking for options that wont completely break the bank but give great support and fit better for my height and size. I did buy some Corbeau from a member but found they are made for someone 5'8" or smaller and as thin as i am, even narrower. so those are gone and i am researching this time better before i buy.

Please post pics if you have them!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 23 2021, 09:22 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I'm 5'10" and my GTS Lemans seat goes inside the back pad. I don't know if the other seats fit into the backpad. This could limit how far you can put the seat back. Stefan can make the Lemans seat wider if you have a waist bigger than 32". I barely fit in mine and I have a 32" waist.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 23 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Unless you are willing to pony up the money for custom seats that look good, are supportive and fit your frame, I would buy a traditional track style seat, put 914 rails on it and swap it in when you do auto-x. It won't be pretty or 914 styled but won't cost big bucks.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 23 2021, 10:38 AM) *

Unless you are willing to pony up the money for custom seats that look good, are supportive and fit your frame, I would buy a traditional track style seat, put 914 rails on it and swap it in when you do auto-x. It won't be pretty or 914 styled but won't cost big bucks.

@mepstein
Mark i am thinking in that direction too. maybe just some stock cheap racing seat that has the 914 sliders on it for the AX days, my backpad can come out thats easy and i have the one that has sport vinly cover over just the fiberglass core if i want one in there, that way a sport seat or such could sit back - i had that in my car when i had the 993 seats in it and those set back against that with no issue, and i really liked the seats support wise. , i had thoght about finding a set of manual Cayman seats to throw in like tat but the they are heavier andmore expensive. just a set of E-bay racing seats would work for this too.
I do like the GTS LeMans and the Watkins Glenn seats though...... might have to pony up for more, I also been looking at the cobra Classics RSR seats in UK that another member here has and at $500 a seat they dont break the bank.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 23 2021, 10:04 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Having track seats would also be easier on your good ones so if you have to crawl under your car, get sweaty waiting in line in the sun, etc, you don't ruin good upholstery.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 23 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So many variables with seats—which is why the stock 914 seats are impressive, as I have yet to meet someone who doesn't find them comfortable for short and long distances. But complaints about side support are common.

Some people love their GTS seats. I had a set, and they didn't work for my body type (6'1, but 32-inch inseam, so pretty short legs and a long torso) whether it came to straight-ahead touring or upper body support in turns—though the the GTS seats located my rear end really well. A pair of vintage Scheels offer superior comfort on short and long drives as well as perfect upper body support—for me. Others will probably find them too narrow, and touring comfort seems to be very subjective as well.

Agree on need for headrests, and the Scheel headrests seem fine to me. The GTS win here, as they were oversized—to the point I had them reduced a bit. I found Renegade Hybrid seats to be pretty good for comfort and support years ago, and if there's one thing I have learned with 914 seats, and seats in general, it's that cloth seat centers add both grip and comfort.

The cheapest and easiest solution, however? Remove 914 seat cushion and give it a go. You'll get more headrest height and more side support, and a towel or bit of foam will go a long way. I was always curious to try something like that with the backrest, too.
+Quote Post
PCH
post Feb 23 2021, 12:18 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,772

6'2" (and shrinking) here. I've had two different stock seat sets in my car and found both very comfortable.

My biggest problem was getting my legs under the steering wheel with the top on. A little smaller in diameter wood Nardi steering wheel took care of that problem. But now the speedo and tach are partially covered by the wheel.

As an alternate, making a thinner bottom pad wouldn't be that difficult. Memory foam might be especially comfortable.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 23 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,073

One old trick when autocrossing?

Remove seat bottom cushion. Maybe lay a thin towel or just sit on the fiberglass. Get a little more side bolster for your thighs and will drop you down in the car (neck closer to headrest?)

Also, while not in spirit of the rules, sometimes changing seats means you change classes (depends who you run with). Maybe make a thinner base cushion from a used one?

Two.. seat belt.. Either twist belt before buckling, run a CG lock or the old, put on the belt, then creep the seat up a notch to really tighten the belt.

My dad used to have a Sheel seat back in the day for DE/AX when he felt he wanted more support.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 24 2021, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2021, 09:40 PM) *

I bought a bag of them from SMC a while ago. If you can't find your missing ones, PM me with your address and I'll put one in the mail to you.
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 23 2021, 11:41 AM) *

So many variables with seats—which is why the stock 914 seats are impressive, as I have yet to meet someone who doesn't find them comfortable for short and long distances. But complaints about side support are common.

Some people love their GTS seats. I had a set, and they didn't work for my body type (6'1, but 32-inch inseam, so pretty short legs and a long torso) whether it came to straight-ahead touring or upper body support in turns—though the the GTS seats located my rear end really well. A pair of vintage Scheels offer superior comfort on short and long drives as well as perfect upper body support—for me. Others will probably find them too narrow, and touring comfort seems to be very subjective as well.

Agree on need for headrests, and the Scheel headrests seem fine to me. The GTS win here, as they were oversized—to the point I had them reduced a bit. I found Renegade Hybrid seats to be pretty good for comfort and support years ago, and if there's one thing I have learned with 914 seats, and seats in general, it's that cloth seat centers add both grip and comfort.

The cheapest and easiest solution, however? Remove 914 seat cushion and give it a go. You'll get more headrest height and more side support, and a towel or bit of foam will go a long way. I was always curious to try something like that with the backrest, too.
QUOTE(PCH @ Feb 23 2021, 01:18 PM) *

6'2" (and shrinking) here. I've had two different stock seat sets in my car and found both very comfortable.

My biggest problem was getting my legs under the steering wheel with the top on. A little smaller in diameter wood Nardi steering wheel took care of that problem. But now the speedo and tach are partially covered by the wheel.

As an alternate, making a thinner bottom pad wouldn't be that difficult. Memory foam might be especially comfortable.
QUOTE(Racer @ Feb 23 2021, 02:03 PM) *

One old trick when autocrossing?

Remove seat bottom cushion. Maybe lay a thin towel or just sit on the fiberglass. Get a little more side bolster for your thighs and will drop you down in the car (neck closer to headrest?)

Also, while not in spirit of the rules, sometimes changing seats means you change classes (depends who you run with). Maybe make a thinner base cushion from a used one?

Two.. seat belt.. Either twist belt before buckling, run a CG lock or the old, put on the belt, then creep the seat up a notch to really tighten the belt.

My dad used to have a Sheel seat back in the day for DE/AX when he felt he wanted more support.

i think i do lean toward just a modified stock seat. its hard to find the Sheel seats, and even if you do in bad condition the are $$$, same with the Renegade ones that are now not available new, or the original Recaro ones. Taking the cusion out and just using towel will help and might be a good option for those AX days.
I also have the issue with legs hitting the steering wheel. I have a smaller Nardi Italian wheel that gives more leg room but then like you said it blocks the vision of the instruments. I dont really want to get something with out trying it again, and i didnt think about the possiblility of changing the seat not being allowed. I would be doing SCCA Solo around here so i have to check. I can do it in the NOVICE class but i dont know about when i steep up to next class in Stock.

Phil
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 24 2021, 08:23 AM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 24 2021, 08:19 AM) *

i think i do lean toward just a modified stock seat. its hard to find the Sheel seats, and even if you do in bad condition the are $$$, same with the Renegade ones that are now not available new, or the original Recaro ones. Taking the cusion out and just using towel will help and might be a good option for those AX days.
I also have the issue with legs hitting the steering wheel. I have a smaller Nardi Italian wheel that gives more leg room but then like you said it blocks the vision of the instruments. I dont really want to get something with out trying it again, and i didnt think about the possiblility of changing the seat not being allowed. I would be doing SCCA Solo around here so i have to check. I can do it in the NOVICE class but i dont know about when i steep up to next class in Stock.

Phil

Phil,

JWest Engineering makes a steering eccentric adapter for MOMO wheels. It moves the wheel up so you have more leg room.

https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html

Not that I need it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 24 2021, 08:33 AM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 24 2021, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 24 2021, 08:19 AM) *

Phil

Phil,

JWest Engineering makes a steering eccentric adapter for MOMO wheels. It moves the wheel up so you have more leg room.

@ClayPerrine
Clay, maybe they make one that does the opposite for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

but seriously i didn't know about the adapter so i may have to try this, thanks for the heads up on it.

Phil
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 24 2021, 08:37 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 24 2021, 06:23 AM) *

Phil,

Beat me to it.

One made up by Paul Sayegh before JWest offered them is in my 914 and works really well. Same principle used in a lot of modern cars: You can get away with raising the wheel a bit, as the only time you notice it going "up and down" as it turns would be when it's spinning—which isn't often (one hopes…).

Also nice as it backs the steering wheel up a little towards the driver, which also increases its diameter (visually) a bit compared to the gauges.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 24 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 21,317

Dr. Phil,

I have a pair of GTS Seats that might work for you. They will probably address your side bolster issues, but likely NOT your headrest issue, as the headrests on these seats are actually probably even more shallow than stock, and not any taller. The seats are loosely based on GT racing seats and are made from 914 cores.

If you have any future business in the Atlanta area, I would be glad to meet up and you could take a test fit if desired. They currently have no rails or sliders, so it still wouldn't be as good as a test actually mounted in the 914.

One seat does have a very small tear/cut in the back that I assume happened during shipping. Let me know if you'd be interested in taking a look if your schedule/ travel plans permit. I have included several pics.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 24 2021, 08:53 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,317

....a few more pics......they are also a little dusty...

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 24 2021, 08:59 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

^ This is really appealing.

The factory 914 seats are light, comfortable for all body types, and only seem to be missing more lateral support. As light as the seats in the $440,000 Carrera GT, too, iirc.

Not even sure bolsters that kick out that far from the stomach down are needed—could just be a matter of adding an inch or three higher up, from a little below armpits down to hips—still nearly vertical.

No issues with mounting them to the frame, or fit with the back pad.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 24 2021, 09:08 AM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 24 2021, 09:48 AM) *

Dr. Phil,

I have a pair of GTS Seats that might work for you. They will probably address your side bolster issues, but likely NOT your headrest issue, as the headrests on these seats are actually probably even more shallow than stock, and not any taller. The seats are loosely based on GT racing seats and are made from 914 cores.

If you have any future business in the Atlanta area, I would be glad to meet up and you could take a test fit if desired. They currently have no rails or sliders, so it still wouldn't be as good as a test actually mounted in the 914.

One seat does have a very small tear/cut in the back that I assume happened during shipping. Let me know if you'd be interested in taking a look if your schedule/ travel plans permit. I have included several pics.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

@Craigers17

I am interested, might have to try and work something out schedule wise.
those are pretty deep but would certainly give super support.
i will PM you to get some more info. as far as height and headrest goes, i still could lower the cushion by removing some foam or taking the cusion out completely for the day.
---- Phil
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Feb 24 2021, 09:51 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Have you looked at the Recaro pole position seats?

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/pr...-leather-black/

I got a set and they seam great. I'm 5'10'' and 40'' waist. It's a good fit for me and still plenty of room for head protection if taller. You can get brackets to mount the 914 lower sliders on these too. I believe there's a few members using these seats. Only issue that I see is the back pad will need to be removed. Depending on cost, I was looking at maybe having 914rubber make a carbon fiber version of their plastic backing. I'm waiting for PMS to send me my seat brackets to test fit it all... Yeah I know Clay , no pedals and missing a few other parts.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Feb 24 2021, 10:39 AM
Post #18

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(PCH @ Feb 23 2021, 10:18 AM) *

Hey PCH, check out my post link here about the JSWest spacer and how it changes your gauge view. You simply cannot tell driving that the steering wheel is not exactly on center...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=steering+wheel
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Feb 24 2021, 10:54 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 24 2021, 07:51 AM) *

'
I have these in my 6 and at 5'11" I have to move them forward to get into the right seating position so there seems to be plenty of room both in legs and head room. Bracket adapters are PMS and mount to stock rails. Downside is price $$ and depending on your look they are more resto-mod. Very comfortable overall and great support.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 24 2021, 12:41 PM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 24 2021, 10:51 AM) *

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/pr...-leather-black/

I got a set and they seam great. I'm 5'10'' and 40'' waist. It's a good fit for me and still plenty of room for head protection if taller. You can get brackets to mount the 914 lower sliders on these too. I believe there's a few members using these seats. Only issue that I see is the back pad will need to be removed. Depending on cost, I was looking at maybe having 914rubber make a carbon fiber version of their plastic backing. I'm waiting for PMS to send me my seat brackets to test fit it all... Yeah I know Clay , no pedals and missing a few other parts.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

@LukeM

i had not yet thought about those, but on the back pad i also have a fiberglass backpad that is covered with vinyl no stock foam, i had 993/boxster seats that fit fine that way just too wide and hit the hand brake. thanks for the info, i like the look of those, definitely they give more head protection.

- they are $$$$ though thats for sure ,
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 AM