Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "elluva a hole. Still welding after all these years..., latest -did the factory run out of jacking doughnuts?
worn
post Jun 25 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #61

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That sounds pretty much like I thought but used the word because it is so often used and understood. Floors bent up in front and in places where they weren't even trying to find a good spot. I am still interested in why my car came without them. I find it very hard to believe that they were there, taken off and the metal cleaned up perfectly smooth even under all the sound deadening and sealer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 26 2022, 07:26 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 25 2022, 10:21 AM) *

A curious thing about the car is the absence of front jack points. Same on both sides of the floor. Absolutely no sign that the floor was ever molested other than the frunk floor for AC. No signs of welding on either side with bare metal showing inside or out.

This is one of the last 914s ever built. Did the factory just run short of doughnuts that day?

Either that or Franz knew it was the end of the line and said " you know what" in German

Great looking repair work
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 26 2022, 08:41 AM
Post #63

can't remember

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2022, 09:51 AM) *

Those guys new style when they saw it. I find it interesting that all of that tooling is stuffed underneath where they were working. No where else to store it? Also, is this what the Brits refer to as soft tooling?
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 26 2022, 08:44 AM
Post #64

can't remember

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 26 2022, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2022, 09:51 AM) *

Those guys new style when they saw it. I find it interesting that all of that tooling is stuffed underneath where they were working. No where else to store it? Also, is this what the Brits refer to as soft tooling?

I think on second thought i should be calling them fixtures. But i don’t see any subassemblies loaded in them.
+Quote Post
914fahrer
post Jun 26 2022, 09:28 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 18,115
Region Association: Germany

Did you really look at the correct place ?Here is a factory doughnut.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 27 2022, 08:35 AM
Post #66

can't remember

QUOTE(914fahrer @ Jun 26 2022, 07:28 AM) *

Did you really look at the correct place ?Here is a factory doughnut.

Attached Image

That is the spot I am showing naked of doughnut. My picture was from the front. I have taken the plug out of the larger hole and the one closest to the side of the car is shown.
I have the '72 I can compare with just to be sure.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 27 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 25 2022, 10:09 AM) *

Throughout this project I have found two tools really helpful
The first is a tube with a clutch cable piece sticking out. It looks like this and

gets into places like this

I use the piece of copper pipe as a bearing to guide and push the brush along. The number of holes like this is amazing. That is to say there are a lot of them.

Another tool I am fast wearing out is this from Milwaukee. I am not touting the brand but they are the only ones selling something like this. Far more torque than my (cheap) air grinders. I have a dozen air die grinders so that I can choose a bit or sanding disc quickly by just grabbing a different die grinder. The battery powered tools are a bit too pricey for that but Roloc type discs help. You need a lot of batteries if you want to keep at it steady, and the chip will tell you no when the tool heats up.

Your Milwakee cordless grinder looks cool, I have done a bit of poking around and am unable to find it. Could you reply with a model #

thanks and your build looks great
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:11 AM