Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCCM Install
stickyfingers
post Feb 28 2021, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,223
Region Association: Canada

Good evening folks,

I’ve got someone selling me a used Porsche Classic Navigation Radio. Apparently I was told I need to get a radio plate. Could someone let me know which one of the two available on 914rubber may work for my application so I can get the new PCCM in there?

I have the factory am/fm radio in the car currently as shown below. I believe the pattern I have is the brickmold - can someone confirm before I place the order?

2nd Question: Do I need the factory option or the Single DIN based off my current getup.

Thanks yet again.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 28 2021, 02:50 AM
Post #2

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Single DIN, assuming the PCCM is a standard single DIN.

The hole in the dash frame is single DIN with the exception of the rounded corners which I had to square up with a chisel slightly.

The PCCM likely bolts in instead of using a sleeve, so you will need to make mounts, though a generic sleeve might work but wouldn't lock, or it might match the sleeve of whoever actually made the unit (Panasonic/Clarion/Blaupunkt/???)

I feel like I've said this before.....
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 28 2021, 09:30 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Single DIN and yes, that is brickmold. FWIW, I installed a new Blaupunkt not long ago and made my own single DIN face plate. The sleeve that came with that radio slid right into the dash opening without modification. Here is a video showing the PCCM install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74qjRuzTlU
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Feb 28 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #4

Thanks. I called my Porsche dealer and the service tech stated that I definitely needed to get either of those plates because there is lots of room around after the PCCM is installed so it makes sense to get the Single DIN plate to get this installed properly. I'll send some pics once it's installed once I get my hands on that pccm.

@bbrock I've seen that video as well. Wish someone had a video or images of this on a 914 - searched high and mighty and can't locate anyone that's done this in a 914 and their experience with it.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 28 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 28 2021, 10:08 AM) *

@bbrock I've seen that video as well. Wish someone had a video or images of this on a 914 - searched high and mighty and can't locate anyone that's done this in a 914 and their experience with it.

It should be pretty much the same process. A single DIN opening is a standard that is supposed to be the same size regardless of the car it is in. Like Chris said, you might have to tweak the rounded corners a little on the dash opening (not the face plate) but otherwise should slide in the same. Your bigger challenge will be the wiring harness since the PCCM is designed to plug into a modern factory harness. I'll bet you could find a wiring kit on Crutchfield that has the right plug connectors. I'd give them a call.
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Feb 28 2021, 01:24 PM
Post #6

I've got a good local guy to help with that. He's sourcing the PCCM and the labour would be relatively cheap (he's done work on some of my cars in the past for a radio/electronics perspective. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 28 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

Informative video.

You know the only other car I've seen with a slide in HU... the New Beetle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The 993 connectors look similar to my 06 GTI, in which case finding them will be easy. Won't get the unit wired up without them. The antenna lead is funky too = adapter.

You will also likely need to run a dedicated fuse as the unit will draw more power and the stock 914 stereo fuse draws off some other stuff too.

Nice looking unit, but with a list of $1500 I'll keep my $100 HU w/BT and phone and tether my 8" tablet for nav.
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Mar 1 2021, 07:08 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 28 2021, 09:11 PM) *

Informative video.

You know the only other car I've seen with a slide in HU... the New Beetle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The 993 connectors look similar to my 06 GTI, in which case finding them will be easy. Won't get the unit wired up without them. The antenna lead is funky too = adapter.

You will also likely need to run a dedicated fuse as the unit will draw more power and the stock 914 stereo fuse draws off some other stuff too.

Nice looking unit, but with a list of $1500 I'll keep my $100 HU w/BT and phone and tether my 8" tablet for nav.

Which one do you use?
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Aug 22 2022, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Finally jumped in head first and installed the PCCM. The sound is phenomenal with the built-in amp/equalizer in the PCCM. I haven't had issues with the brightness of the display although I had the top on and it was really sunny. I will try with the top off and see if it bothers me. The handsfree for phone calls is amazing.

Pics below:Attached Image
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Aug 22 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #10

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

That looks really nice. Very clean install.
Makes me want to rethink my radio situation in the 75.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 22 2022, 05:01 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Man, I like your old radio....
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 23 2022, 01:28 PM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I love that new radio in your dash. I wish I could bring myself to do that swap but my Blaupunkt Saphire looks the part and as an added bonus, it works.
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Aug 23 2022, 08:36 PM
Post #13

It was a pricey upgrade but it makes me happy. Lol.

The classic radio never worked for me. The Bluetooth cheapy amp from Amazon was decent but the quality of this has been outstanding and in my mind well worth the upgrade. I had to spend a bit of extra time to slight shave the slot as the pccm is slight (2 mm) wider or so.
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Aug 23 2022, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Aug 23 2022, 09:36 PM) *

The classic radio never worked for me. The Bluetooth cheapy amp from Amazon was decent but the quality of this has been outstanding and in my mind well worth the upgrade. I had to spend a bit of extra time to slight shave the slot as the pccm is slight (2 mm) wider or so.

I am assuming you had to hard wire it? Or were you able to find a wiring harness adapter that worked?

It does give the dash a bit of a modern look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 24 2022, 08:43 AM
Post #15

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I actually like it and was considering it.

Then I looked at the price.

$1500.00. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 24 2022, 09:12 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2022, 08:43 AM) *

Yeah, I did the same and I believe the navigation map subscription is extra to boot. It would be nice if they offered these without navigation but with Android Auto/Apple Car Play so you could just display your phone navigation on the screen. And that price would need to get below $500 before I'm a player.
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Aug 24 2022, 03:10 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Aug 23 2022, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Aug 23 2022, 09:36 PM) *

I am assuming you had to hard wire it? Or were you able to find a wiring harness adapter that worked?

It does give the dash a bit of a modern look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yea - it wasn't too bad. I need a constant power lead from the battery. Had one already sitting behind the dash from PO. Took 12v from the lighter plug and hooked the speakers, mic, etc... The navigation is separate if you want the porsche maps. I just use carplay w/waze and apple music and it works great.
+Quote Post
914e
post Aug 24 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 23,951

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 24 2022, 08:12 AM) *

Yeah, I did the same and I believe the navigation map subscription is extra to boot. It would be nice if they offered these without navigation but with Android Auto/Apple Car Play so you could just display your phone navigation on the screen. And that price would need to get below $500 before I'm a player.

Most of the aftermarket players with navigation are in the same price range, none of them are single DIN units. On the other hand I don't think my eyes work with that tiny screen anymore.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 24 2022, 09:40 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(914e @ Aug 24 2022, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 24 2022, 08:12 AM) *

Most of the aftermarket players with navigation are in the same price range, none of them are single DIN units. On the other hand I don't think my eyes work with that tiny screen anymore.

Yep. Just bought a double DIN head unit for the DD and got the same sticker shock with navigation units. Got a nice unit with similar features but without navigation for $300. Navigation is kind of obsolete with Carplay and Android Auto. I would think Porsche would have a lot of takers for a unit sans nav.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Aug 25 2022, 01:57 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I looking to put one in the 968 without NAV. The OEM unit I got with the car was spec’s for GB and while it’s cool looking, not for listening in the states.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:08 AM