Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Seat Mount Reinforcement metal, ..welded to the under side floor
Literati914
post Mar 1 2021, 12:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok, under the car, one on each side - is a 'seat mount reinforcement' strip of metal about 20" long. I've got a couple questions before welding my replacements on:

- About 1/4" from the rear edge of the floor is where they should start, is that correct?

- Because of the way these are pressed they basically form a 'tube' of sorts when mated to the underside of the floor - but unless the small end (towards the rear edge of the floor) is closed up somehow, there will be access for water and dirt to enter. How is this correctly dealt with? Looking at my old rust pieces, that area just looks like it was 'pushed' shut. Probably why there's rust there.

- Anyone got pics of work done on this particular area?

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
mgp4591
post Mar 1 2021, 01:38 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I had the same questions when I welded mine in as well. I looked up images of the repaired area online and made my best guess...the fat end goes towards the rear. I made sure to get as much Zero Rust in there as I could, then swabbed Herculiner in there too as I undercoated the outer floor. Hopefully the tinworms won't get in there too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 1 2021, 06:51 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Eastwood frame coating or similar on inside after welding. The long tube with spray nozzle will fit in the back end. Flood it.

Put tarp or something underneath to catch the leakage and dripping. Open end toward the back.

Left open to ventilate and dry is better than trying to seal them up. If you used RD floorpans and/or seat reinforcment brackets, you also have Galvaneal working in your favor too.

If you still need measurements, I'll grab at lunch, or tonight after work. I bought floorpans with both the inside and outside seat brackets pre-welded to the floor pans.

@Literati914
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Mar 1 2021, 08:20 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks guys, I do already have some of the Eastwood internal frame coating spray and I will use it, after epoxy primer. I probably should have explained my situation - I have the Restoration Design rear floor section and it's currently un-installed at this point... I plan to go ahead and weld the reinforcements onto it BEFORE welding this floor section in (much easier than doing it afterward, under the car).

This will leave approx 8" of the reinforcement protruding (from the front of the floor section), which I will then finish plug welding from inside the car after the Floor section is welded in.

I just wasn't sure what to do with the open end of the reinforcement at the back... so leaving it open for venting, is the way to go?

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 1 2021, 08:43 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 1 2021, 07:20 AM) *

I just wasn't sure what to do with the open end of the reinforcement at the back... so leaving it open for venting, is the way to go?

Definitely. Moisture will condense inside those boxed sections and they need to be able to breathe and drain. I also follow up the Internal Frame Coating treatment with 3M Cavity Wax Plus. I will replenish the cavity wax every 3-5 years in all the box sections.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:12 PM