Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine build, Need advice
Morph914
post Mar 1 2021, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,326
Region Association: South East States

I am new to the air cooled world so I need to lean on the experts for advice. As you can see, I have the engine on a stand with the 4 arm support. I was skeptical from the get go about this support, it does not seem to give enough support to the engine in my opinion. But what do I know?
My concern here is how much more weight can I put on this engine before pulling it off the stand? I do not have a cherry picker so just 2 guys lifting it off onto a HF hydraulic lift.
Should I get all the tin on then remove? Or would you install the alternator, intake, etc.?
And is there anything underneath that needs to be accomplished before taking off the stand?

Thanks in advance,
John

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 1 2021, 08:31 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I use the same stand for my 450 lb 3.2 six.

You can always put a stool or small table under it if you are afraid of it tipping while you work on it but a type 4 weighs 250 with induction and exhaust so it’s really not that much weight. Each bolt is holding 60 ish lbs.

The heat exchangers are so much easer to put on now.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Mar 1 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2021, 09:31 PM) *

You can always put a stool or small table under it if you are afraid of it tipping while you work on it but a type 4 weighs 250 with induction and exhaust so it’s really not that much weight. Each bolt is holding 60 ish lbs.

I figured this much, but it’s nice to get some reassurance. I think I’ll try and rig up some kind of hoist or get a cherry picker to lift it off the stand when ready to mate with the trans.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Mar 1 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I need to get another stand, been looking at some used ones... the only thing is, that one wheel in the front configuration, makes me more nervous than the ones with a short stabilizer axle in the front.

+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 1 2021, 09:26 PM
Post #5

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
A fully dressed engine is very stable on my HF engine stand with the 4 yoke mount. The slight tilt of the yoke tube cantilevers the weight. Two strong people can lift it off the stand (or 3 normal people). Best is to leave the yoke on and use that as a handle for at least one person. Then rest it on your hydralic table and remove the yoke.

If you have a 1 ton shop crane, you can rig it like I did in the pics, with lifting straps around the mount bar and a heavy chain around the yoke. The tough part is getting the stand to fit between the legs. You'll probably need to raise the engine and stand together and then have someone pull the stand off the yoke while someone guides the engine off.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 2 2021, 02:53 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2021, 09:31 PM) *

I no longer use those stands for /6 builds, I almost toppled off a $50k 930 longblock, in fact it's one reason I have a fuched up back. The ones I use for /6 builds (I have 6 stands and 2 bench stands) are overkill at 1200lbs, but I like how the legs fold for storage.

I still use that type of stand for /4 builds, I'm not worried about capacity, but I do take care when moving and torquing an engine on it.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 2 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Cheap insurance to use the proper equipment for the job, is it worth it to use cheap tools, you will get a cheap job
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 2 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Do most people assemble the exhaust and heater ducts on the engine while it is on the stand? I was worried that would be too much weight cantilevered off the exhaust studs but if that isn't a problem, it sure would be easier to do than from under the car.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 2 2021, 08:55 AM
Post #9

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

Yes, put all the tin back on. Installing the alternator and the rest of the fuel injection is much easier in this position. Adjusting the valves is wise also.
I would still be careful with any engine stand that has three legs.
Matt
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Mar 2 2021, 09:07 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(iankarr @ Mar 1 2021, 10:26 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
A fully dressed engine is very stable on my HF engine stand with the 4 yoke mount. The slight tilt of the yoke tube cantilevers the weight. Two strong people can lift it off the stand (or 3 normal people). Best is to leave the yoke on and use that as a handle for at least one person. Then rest it on your hydralic table and remove the yoke.

If you have a 1 ton shop crane, you can rig it like I did in the pics, with lifting straps around the mount bar and a heavy chain around the yoke. The tough part is getting the stand to fit between the legs. You'll probably need to raise the engine and stand together and then have someone pull the stand off the yoke while someone guides the engine off.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The lift would sure make things easier, I need to find one to borrow. I had one a long time ago but got tired of storing and sold it. Besides, at 60 I’m not as strong as I once was.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Mar 2 2021, 09:12 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 2 2021, 09:46 AM) *

Do most people assemble the exhaust and heater ducts on the engine while it is on the stand? I was worried that would be too much weight cantilevered off the exhaust studs but if that isn't a problem, it sure would be easier to do than from under the car.

I have the same concerns, especially with the heat exchangers. That’s a lot of leverage at the ends of those, so will be extra careful. I agree with it being much easier than trying to do it on my back.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:29 PM