Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did Karman save the tooling for the 914, Like the Brits did?
Mikey914
post Mar 16 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #21

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Apparently it was made in 2009. I'm getting old

https://youtu.be/xaVgRj2e5_s
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 16 2021, 08:14 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 16 2021, 08:33 AM) *

While possible to use direct laser sintering to "print really cool stuff" it's not at the place that it's good for production (cost effective). For prototyping it's invaluable. We have printed parts and tools to check fits before production and in proof of concept. Great for making one offs.

If you look at the technology it is even more exciting as it develops. It is possible to manipulate electrons and as the level gets smaller and more efficient it will apply to materials. Imagine being able to "print" new materials at an atomic level.

Anyone remember the Star Trek movie where they "replicated" clear aluminum for the whale tank? We may see this in our lifetime.

Once we get to the industrial size Star Trek replicator all the fun will be gone. Just download the program for a 914 with any specs you like, and then push a button.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 17 2021, 01:40 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 16 2021, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 16 2021, 08:33 AM) *

While possible to use direct laser sintering to "print really cool stuff" it's not at the place that it's good for production (cost effective). For prototyping it's invaluable. We have printed parts and tools to check fits before production and in proof of concept. Great for making one offs.

If you look at the technology it is even more exciting as it develops. It is possible to manipulate electrons and as the level gets smaller and more efficient it will apply to materials. Imagine being able to "print" new materials at an atomic level.

Anyone remember the Star Trek movie where they "replicated" clear aluminum for the whale tank? We may see this in our lifetime.

Once we get to the industrial size Star Trek replicator all the fun will be gone. Just download the program for a 914 with any specs you like, and then push a button.

you will have to find a new hobby for mucking about in the shed.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Mar 18 2021, 09:20 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2021, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 16 2021, 01:30 PM) *

Transparent Aluminum. Come on Man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Transparent Aluminum already exists....

From Wikipedia...

Aluminium oxynitride (marketed under the name ALON by Surmet Corporation[3]) is a transparent ceramic composed of aluminium, oxygen and nitrogen. ALON is optically transparent (≥ 80%) in the near-ultraviolet, visible and midwave-infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is four times as hard as fused silica glass, 85% as hard as sapphire, and nearly 115% as hard as magnesium aluminate spinel. Since it has a cubic spinel structure, it can be fabricated to transparent windows, plates, domes, rods, tubes and other forms using conventional ceramic powder processing techniques.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

Of course it does. Scotty gave the guy the formula in the 1980's.

+Quote Post
targa72e
post Mar 21 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

BMW does mass produced 3D printing of parts for some of its cars. I8 bracket is one example.

https://3dprint.com/222268/bmw-3d-printed-roof-bracket/

john
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 21 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #26

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is great. I originally wondered what happened to the tooling used to create the 914 and we got Scotty sintering transparent aluminum. I was expecting a dusty warehouse and got a chance to beam me to Germany. You guys rock.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 21 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #27

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would find the temptation of stamping new panels irresistible... with stainless! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 21 2021, 09:38 PM
Post #28

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Speaking of the Heritage MG parts, I had an MGB for years, I drove it one day to the supermarket and when the carry out put the bags in the trunk she dented the trunk trying to close it. She insisted I wait until her manager came out and I pulled the Moss Motors catalog out and the manager said he’d order me a new trunk. I. Still see that manager and he gives me crap about the decade or so of catalogs he got at the store after ordering the lid!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:34 AM