Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.4 six to 3.0 six swap, what do I need?
goose2
post Jul 21 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If the carbs are Webers...."I" would keep them and use them....

The carbs are Zeniths. I love carbs for the sound, the look, the adjustability....and they appeal to my traditionalist tendencies, but...I've been spoiled by FI cars that start without elaborate procedures, run smooth when cold, have no flat spots, don't pop and fart if you don't baby the throttle just right, and use less fuel while delivering more power. My opinion...one among many I'm sure. Wanna buy some Zeniths? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
goose2
post Jul 25 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #22

I've been doing my homework on the clutch/flywheel requirements and have found some options.

Patrick has a kit that bolts a custom ring gear on the 3.0 flywheel and uses the Kennedy clutch. Comes with everything....pp, disc, release brg, fasteners. $680.

GPR has a similar kit but uses a different p plate and is a few bucks less than Patrick's setup. Dave (GPR) says their clutch is MUCH nicer than the Kennedy version and plenty good for up to 300 HP. He tells me that this is by far the best solution, mainly because his clutch is far superior.

Kennedy's solution is to machine out the center of a stock 914 flywheel and weld in a new center...then machine and drill to fit the 3.0L 9 bolt crank. The charge is $250, if you supply the core flywheel....add $100 if their core. Early 911 clutch will bolt to this flywheel? Not sure about this. They have a pressure plate that will handle up to 400 ft.lb. torque for an additional $225. Add fasteners, release bearing, pilot bearing and it comes to around $600. Mr. Kennedy did say that a 914 clutch will handle nearly 200 ft.lbs. torque on a street car if you're careful.

My question is, will the 914 clutch do the job? Doesn't the early 911 clutch interchange with the 914-4 and wouldn't it be a adequate unit for a stock 3.0 street car? Are there still unexplored alternatives? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 25 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

send them a core -4 Flywheel instead of the 6 bolt core, if you go the welding route.

yes I think the early 911 clutch and 914 clutch are the same.

I don't know of other methods.
good research!

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 25 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Patrick's stuff suxz...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif)

Been using KEP for 30 years, I have no reason to suggest anyone else.

+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 25 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #25

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Randy, For the flywheel/pressure plate, check out JB Racing in Tavares, FL. They are right next door to Alex Job Racing and are very big in Vintage mostly 911 engines. They just came out with a 5 lb flywheel. They have been making a BMW lightwheel flywheel for some time and this Porsche item is aimed more at their customers. If I hadn't bought a 906 flywheel from Mike Bruns, their Engine Manager I would have this new item in my car.

T.C.
+Quote Post
goose2
post Jul 26 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #26

Thanks for the tip TC, I'll check them out. I'm not sure I want a super light flywheel for a street car but it'll be interesting to see what they're up to.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:03 PM