Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Track Car - Roll Hoop and belt suggestions
BillJ
post Mar 31 2021, 08:25 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

If you are using HANS I prefer the 2" harness straps on the shoulder as they fit better on the device. Running a 6 point or 5 point is best (using a 6 point this weekend at VIR)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 8 2021, 03:53 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Justin, I had just a hoop for many years, then while doing the restoration extended the hoop to front and rear suspension points. Like you, this is for Auto-cross, DE's and hill climbs etc. MarkAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Apr 8 2021, 11:13 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Something else to consider but I didn't see mentioned:

"Equal restraints for driver and passenger".. No instructor wants to sit in a stock seat and 3pt belt when you have a race seat and harnesses.

So, x2 when you replace your seats/harnesses.

And as someone else mentioned, it doesn't have to be a "race" to be an accident.. DE.. High speed.. 1970s' weak sheet metal between you and impact. Safety is somewhat personal and you decide the minimum you want.. but realize that the insurance underwriting the events is what is driving the minimums standards up.

Stock seat with harnesses was fine (well, allowed maybe is more accurate).. in the 1990s.. its not fine today.

On my '76, the car had a Safety devices bolt in cage that was welded in. It also had stock seats. ugh.

Pulled out the back pad, had a harness bar installed at the correct height and replaced the stock seats with some Kirkey Aluminum road race seats. Reasonably comfy. very nice when driving on the track.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 14 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Racer @ Apr 8 2021, 10:13 AM) *

"Equal restraints for driver and passenger".. No instructor wants to sit in a stock seat and 3pt belt when you have a race seat and harnesses.

And as someone else mentioned, it doesn't have to be a "race" to be an accident.. DE.. High speed.. 1970s' weak sheet metal between you and impact. Safety is somewhat personal and you decide the minimum you want.. but realize that the insurance underwriting the events is what is driving the minimums standards up.

Stock seat with harnesses was fine (well, allowed maybe is more accurate).. in the 1990s.. its not fine today.

On my '76, the car had a Safety devices bolt in cage that was welded in. It also had stock seats. ugh.

Pulled out the back pad, had a harness bar installed at the correct height and replaced the stock seats with some Kirkey Aluminum road race seats. Reasonably comfy. very nice when driving on the track.

@Racer I've been thinking about the kirkey seat. I actually pulled one out of my track car last night and it fits pretty well. My only compliant was its kind of tall and rests on the rollbar with my long legs. Do you have any pictures of your install?

Also did you just fabricate a harness bar into your roll hoop?
+Quote Post
Racer
post Apr 14 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 14 2021, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Apr 8 2021, 10:13 AM) *

@Racer I've been thinking about the kirkey seat. I actually pulled one out of my track car last night and it fits pretty well. My only compliant was its kind of tall and rests on the rollbar with my long legs. Do you have any pictures of your install?

Also did you just fabricate a harness bar into your roll hoop?

@Justinp71

I had the seat affixed to the floor (no sliders) and then had harness bars welded behind the seat that ran from the vertical of the rollbar to the center "hump" of the backwall. By mounting to the floor, I got much more headroom clearance than I expected.

Here are a few of the interior pics I could find:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:08 AM