Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauge swap, older to newer
Michael J
post Jul 19 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Welcome to 2007

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,166

I have a sort of ratty set of gauges in my '72. Will the newer set of gauges from a '74 (Speedo, Tach & fuel) plug into my '72 or are there some big differences that would require some rewiring or ??
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914GT
post Jul 19 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

The later gauges will work in place of the earlier gauges. The main difference is the later tach has a single turn signal indicator and the older gauge had separate left/right indicators. One way to fix this is to use two diodes to 'OR' the left/right lamp circuits together to illuminate the single bulb. Someone else out there may have another solution that would work just as well.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 19 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Very late tachs (may be '75/'76 only, but I don't know when the switch was) have different connectors on the back.

The turn signal thing has been debated before. My '71 and my '73 had two bulbs, but they both flash with the turn signal switch in either direction. This matches the behavior of my '69 VW, which also has two bulbs. Some people say the separate bulbs work separately on their car.

+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 20 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #4

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

If you have seperate indicaters, they are supposed to work independently. If they both blink at the same time, the diode wiring has probably been removed, or is bacwards (?) or possibly the diode itself went bad. I had one that was wired backwards (easy to do), and once I reversed the wire, it was fine.
+Quote Post
Michael J
post Jul 20 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #5

Welcome to 2007

Member No.: 3,166

I have had a '75 in the passed and can live with the single turn signal indicator. My old one blinks on the correct bulb but it appears that there is some bleed over of the light because there is a slight amount of light in the opposite arrow.

The new gauge cluster is from an unknown year. I just know it is '74 plus because the silver center is not there. I'll just have to pull my old one out and see if the connections are the same. Might be a time to do something different with the fuel gauge unit to get rid of the idot lights.

Thanks for the comments.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jan 23 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #6

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I tried putting a 76 tach in my 70 this weekend and it acted funny. FWhen I plugged in the wires, the tach showed a bit more than 1000 rpm with the ignition on but the engine off. The connectors on the back LOOK the same as the early one, they have the same markings, etc.

Am I doing sometihng wrong or are the tachs incompatible?

-Tony
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:29 PM