Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My latest challenge. Here we go again., 72 restoration and conversion to a Subaru EZ30R engine.
rmarx
post Apr 22 2021, 10:51 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,784

Todays post is showing the pedal box conversion from cable to hydraulic. This design was inspired from a post by Kent @76-914 . I basically copied his design for the bracket, but I came up with a different design for the connection between the pedal lever and the clutch master cylinder. The master cylinder is a unit from a Honda Civic.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 22 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #42

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rmarx @ Apr 22 2021, 09:51 AM) *

Todays post is showing the pedal box conversion from cable to hydraulic. This design was inspired from a post by Kent @76-914 . I basically copied his design for the bracket, but I came up with a different design for the connection between the pedal lever and the clutch master cylinder. The master cylinder is a unit from a Honda Civic.

I like it. There is always room for improvement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 23 2021, 12:55 PM
Post #43

I received a engine and transmission cradle from Coldwater. The following pictures show the cradle as I received it, unwrapped and mount in the car. I even showed it mounted to the engine. This is a very nice piece. The welds are better than I can produce and the quality is quite good.
There is a fitment issue with my particular engine and header of choice. Rather than modify this nicely put together piece, I am going to go another direction. Ian is working on another design to accommodate my specific needs. Therefore, this cradle is now available. I live in the northern California bay area. If anyone is interested in it and not wanting to wait for one to be built by Coldwater, mine is now available.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Apr 24 2021, 07:18 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Those cradles look awesome. Is the engine cradle not well suited for an EZ30R engine, or does is it have to do more with your header choice? I thought it was designed to work with a variety of Subaru engines, including the EZ30.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 26 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 24 2021, 06:18 AM) *

Those cradles look awesome. Is the engine cradle not well suited for an EZ30R engine, or does is it have to do more with your header choice? I thought it was designed to work with a variety of Subaru engines, including the EZ30.

It has to do with my header choice.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 26 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #46

I started to build some bracketry for the cable shift mechanism that would mount to the transmission. The material I obtained is 6063 aluminum. I experienced some difficulty in drilling this material. While drilling, the bits would seize in the material and ultimately snap. Previously, I have never had any problems drilling aluminum, so this was becoming frustrating. What I ultimately found out was that even though I didn't think that spindle speed and lubrication would matter that much, it does. I calculated the the spindle speed by taking the cutting speed of aluminum, times it by four and dividing the result by the diameter of the drill bit. The end result was that I needed to speed up the spindle speed considerably. I did that and added some cutting oil for insurance. The end result was much more successful. I've posted a few pictures of the first bracket. I will post more in a future installment.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
808 WRX
post Apr 26 2021, 02:39 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 24,349
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rmarx @ Apr 23 2021, 11:55 AM) *

Therefore, this cradle is now available. I live in the northern California bay area. If anyone is interested in it and not wanting to wait for one to be built by Coldwater, mine is now available.

I am interested in your cradle, I sent you a PM. I'm in San Jose, so close enough to pick up.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Apr 27 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #48

A couple pictures of the headers I got from Outfront Motorsports. They are nicely done and look to add power to my engine. A couple pictures of something to look out for when mating the trans to the engine. There are locating pins on the engine and the trans. I had to remove the pin from the trans to allow them to fit together. A picture of the engine and trans as they are being installed in the car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rmarx
post May 5 2021, 11:01 AM
Post #49

Look what just came in the mail! I just received my new floorboard set up for a Fly by wire throttle. I also received my new rear 5 bolt hubs from PMB. They look pretty good.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
willieg
post May 5 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 22,389

QUOTE(rmarx @ May 5 2021, 12:01 PM) *

Look what just came in the mail! I just received my new floorboard set up for a Fly by wire throttle. I also received my new rear 5 bolt hubs from PMB. They look pretty good.

The hubs look great. Definitely an easier transition to 5 lug than previous.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post May 17 2021, 11:16 AM
Post #51

I received my new "modified" cradle from Coldwater 914. It had one of the side braces modified to clear my header. Lots of pictures showing the headers installed on the motor, the cradle mounted to the motor and finally the engine and cradle installed in the car. I had to make my own transmission mount to accommodate the for and aft positioning of the motor /trans combination.
It is finally in the car!
Next thing to do it modify the chassis to make clearance for the intake manifold, starter, clutch slave cylinder and actuating arm.

After that it will be time to measure for the axles and have them sent out to be modified to accommodate the Subi inner and 914 outer CVs.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rmarx
post May 20 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #52

I received shift cables and the rear linkage for the transmission shifter from Coldwater 914. I think I will try this for now and possibly convert to my billet bracket shown in an earlier post at a later time. I received my fly by wire accel pedal from ebay and attached it to my newly acquired floor board. It looks pretty nice. After the motor and trans were installed in the car, I remounted my starter. It seems to have the clearance that I need without having to cut up trunk floor.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
grantjd
post May 20 2021, 10:51 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 9,997
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Is that the stock Subaru starter?
+Quote Post
Mayne
post May 20 2021, 11:36 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Looking great, and that's good news on the starter fitment.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post May 20 2021, 03:58 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(grantjd @ May 20 2021, 09:51 AM) *

Is that the stock Subaru starter?

Yes, at least I think so. It is the one that came with the trans when I bought it.
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Jun 1 2021, 11:26 AM
Post #56

A little progress being made on the installation of the complete shifting mechanism. I installed the Coldwater 914 shift linkage to the transmission. I then installed the shift cables, (also supplied by Coldwater 914) and ran them though the hole that was once occupied by the shifting rod, ( let's refrain from the obvious jokes that will surely follow from that last statement). In order to connect the Heim joints on the cable to the shifter, I purchased some bronze bushings from Ace hardware that just happened to have an OD of 3/8" and an ID of 1/4". I placed a washer over the bushing to give it more clearance so that the Joint would not bind and hit metal during operation.
It was then that I decided to build a stand for the shifter to be mounted on. The whole idea was to locate the shifter higher and closer to me so that I would not have to reach so far to shift from gear to gear, as in a stock 914.
Being a weekend with most metal stores closed, I had to come up with a solution that I could do on a Sunday. So I went to Ace Hardware and bought some 1" aluminum angle and 1" square tubing and began to construct a box that the shifter could be mounted on. It is held together with 6mm Allen head screws and Nut-Certed where needed.
I am happy to report that this thing has all five gears along with reverse. It shifts like a Miata with a short shift kit installed. I have never felt a shifter that is this short, precise and crisp. I can't wait to see how it feels while driving.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 1 2021, 08:10 PM
Post #57

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Yep, you're going to like that location for your shifter and you've already tasted the fruit of this smooth, short throw combination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
grantjd
post Aug 12 2021, 10:58 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 9,997
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

the public demands updates!
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Aug 16 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #59

Sorry for the slow updates, I have been painting my house and attended car shows, (Reno Hot August Nights and Monterrey car week). I have managed to work on the car a little here and there.
I got some aircraft paint remover and began stripping the paint from the exterior of the car along with the rear trunk. The car is basically straight. Both doors will need a little work to make them straight. All in all, I am happy with what I found under the old paint.

I installed my pedal box and began to plumb the hydraulic clutch assembly. This is not an easy job. There is very little room to work with, but I think I have got it solved.

I am running in to a problem with the gap in between the throw out bearing release arm and the rod from the clutch slave cylinder. It is too large. I think the should be touching, but there a gap of approximately 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I don't know if I installed it wrong or the the slave cylinder rod needs to be extended. (pictures of that to follow).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 16 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #60

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I've always enjoyed watching a good strip show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:49 PM