Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Driver gets a 160 mph ticket, Not a 914
worn
post Apr 13 2021, 08:44 AM
Post #61

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I should add that I very much agree that traffic shouldn't be a spread out melee. I hate people weaving in and out of traffic swerving through all of the lanes as their fancy takes them. You are right that the proper lane for passing should be the left.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 13 2021, 08:54 AM
Post #62

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

At my age and experience driving, rather than get into a "game of chicken" with people on the highway, I just stay to the right when possible. If I am in the far left lane and some vehicle starts rapidly closing on me, I put on my right turn signal and move to the right to allow them to pass. I would rather avoid problems and just drive down the road.

We have a lot of lifted, large 4x4 trucks with wheels protruding well beyond their fender lips (illegal) that climb on the rear bumper of anyone who dare not yield right of way.

Back in the day, police officers took pride in knowing the Vehicle Code and enforcing those type of violations. (If you have ever had one of those douches pass you and toss a rock into your windshield and crack it, you know what I mean.)

+Quote Post
73-914
post Apr 13 2021, 09:13 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 9 2021, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 9 2021, 11:16 AM) *

Having lived in Europe, and traveled extensively with experience on both the German Autobahn and the Italian Autostrade's . . . you don't even know the 1/2 of it here in the US. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Of course when you get off the Autostrade particularly as you go south or to Sicily...some parts make US drivers look good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Northern Italy, only place I saw "No blowing horn" signs LOL
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 13 2021, 09:25 AM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(73-914 @ Apr 13 2021, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 9 2021, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 9 2021, 11:16 AM) *

Having lived in Europe, and traveled extensively with experience on both the German Autobahn and the Italian Autostrade's . . . you don't even know the 1/2 of it here in the US. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Of course when you get off the Autostrade particularly as you go south or to Sicily...some parts make US drivers look good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Northern Italy, only place I saw "No blowing horn" signs LOL

Horn and waiving hands out the window is part of the Italian signaling strategy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Apr 13 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I have spent many years driving interstates and pulling a 43' 5th wheel trailer in my photography business. Now retired but still frequently traveling, sometimes in my 914, or my Cayman or Cayenne, the interstates are clogged with drivers, often women, cruising in their private left lane while talking on a cell phone. Amazing how often several cars will stack up behind them, and the right lane is empty! This is perhaps a result of some driving like its a competition, or a birthright of being an exceptional driver, and I will often pass the fools by going to the real cruising right hand lane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Apr 13 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

We are Americans, and many Americans are just plain stoopid. Operating a motor vehicle is probably the most dangerous activity the average person will undertake, and a large percentage of us here in the good US of A do not have a clue how to drive. I see it everyday
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 13 2021, 01:21 PM
Post #67

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 13 2021, 02:31 PM) *

We are Americans, and many Americans are just plain stoopid. Operating a motor vehicle is probably the most dangerous activity the average person will undertake, and a large percentage of us here in the good US of A do not have a clue how to drive. I see it everyday

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

23% of Americans surveyed are clearly wrong.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Apr 13 2021, 04:12 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 13 2021, 12:21 PM) *

Attached Image

Being an "average" driver in the US is nothing to brag about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 13 2021, 08:26 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 13 2021, 12:14 PM) *

I have spent many years driving interstates and pulling a 43' 5th wheel trailer in my photography business. Now retired but still frequently traveling, sometimes in my 914, or my Cayman or Cayenne, the interstates are clogged with drivers, often women, cruising in their private left lane while talking on a cell phone. Amazing how often several cars will stack up behind them, and the right lane is empty! This is perhaps a result of some driving like its a competition, or a birthright of being an exceptional driver, and I will often pass the fools by going to the real cruising right hand lane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

global problem.

local response (aus).

(beyond talking on phones here - they text and read).

https://www.drive.com.au/news/victoria-flic...xt--125391.html
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 13 2021, 10:39 PM
Post #70

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 13 2021, 12:21 PM) *

Attached Image

You are an engineer so I can't let this slide. You are assuming driver "goodness" is normally distributed. We don't know that. Given how astronomically bad the worst drivers are, the distribution could easily be skewed and 73% of driver could indeed be better than the average. Now if 73% of drivers think they are better than the median driver, 23% would be wrong regardless of distribution. Just a little statistics 101 because, come on now, we are better than average. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 14 2021, 07:12 AM
Post #71

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 13 2021, 11:39 PM) *

You are an engineer so I can't let this slide. You are assuming driver "goodness" is normally distributed. We don't know that. Given how astronomically bad the worst drivers are, the distribution could easily be skewed and 73% of driver could indeed be better than the average. Now if 73% of drivers think they are better than the median driver, 23% would be wrong regardless of distribution. Just a little statistics 101 because, come on now, we are better than average. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

We do need to remember two things though: a) The automotive sector is basically glorified bean counting*, and b) driver "goodness" is totally some skewed fat tail distribution...they certainly didn't teach that in engineering school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

*Couldn't resist! @Superhawk996
+Quote Post
Boothy
post Apr 14 2021, 11:25 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 22,805

We had a sales guy at the Suzuki dealership who tried to take an off ramp at 100+ -trooper clocked him at 140 on the way by.

I was sent up with the van to collect the bike -a ball of metal and mud and a very sore kid.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Apr 14 2021, 11:33 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Boothy @ Apr 14 2021, 09:25 AM) *

We had a sales guy at the Suzuki dealership who tried to take an off ramp at 100+ -trooper clocked him at 140 on the way by.

I was sent up with the van to collect the bike -a ball of metal and mud and a very sore kid.

Lucky to still be alive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 14 2021, 02:29 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

@bbrock
@jd74914
@boothy

Applies equally to all three posts and to myself as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . Wiki Dunning-Kruger curve if needed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:50 AM