Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> D-jet idle - one issue thats not been solved, low idle on start up for a few minutes hot or cold......
DRPHIL914
post Apr 6 2021, 06:04 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

here is my set up, - its a '75 2.0 d-jet with very fresh and new in past 2 years everything,
,tested proper functioning AAr, CHT is the new 914rubberone, but same issue with my NOS one, no vac leaks , rebuilt throttle body MPS(ive tested 2 others one rebuilt by Jeff B same issue), etc etc , 123 distributor, anywayhere is what i have going on-

i think i am around 1000 for a good steady idle, if its lower than that warmed up, then i cant get it to idle decent when cold for the first 2-3 minutes, even with AAr open, same with a hot start after running for a while, then shut off and turned back on after sitting foor a few minutes, heat sink on the CHT maybe, i have a feeling the resistance of the CHT is not correct, it is a NOS correct CHT but i am thinking about adding that resistor to the cht line- any thoughts? i have to feather or hold the pedal down just a bit for a minute or 2 then it comes up.

like i said perfect idle around 950-1000 once on for a while or even stopped at light after running for a long time idle is perfect EXCEPT after turned off for a bit then back on--

Phil
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Olympic 914
post Apr 6 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

My engine regularly gets head temps into the 300's

Also like Rob and Clay stated it will rarely idle cold until it has run for a for minutes.

Odd thing is if its REALLY cold like 30's it will idle then. But I have gotten in the habit of shutting it off for a moment to close the garage door, etc. then heel and toe it at the first two stop signs, to keep it running. After that it is fine for the rest of the drive.

BTW i believe you should not be using Synthetic 20/50, recommended a high zinc conventional 20/50 oil be used.

JMHO.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 6 2021, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Apr 6 2021, 01:00 PM) *

BTW i believe you should not be using Synthetic 20/50, recommended a high zinc conventional 20/50 oil be used.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The 914 engine needs high zinc motor oil. Synthetic doesn't have that.

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:20 AM