Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grease on dash? WTF is this?, pulled the covering, black 'paint" comes off like grease? Purple power is strong stuff!
Calwaterbear
post Apr 7 2021, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

Ok so I pulled off the dash cover and the old fabric and foam dash liner to the front window. The metal looks to be painted black, with some weird swirls of yellow. so I hit it with purple power sparay to clean it up and the black comes off like a layer of soot? its yellow paint on the metal.

I have no idea whats going on? is the purple power liquifying black paint?
the black is dry and appears stable till I hit it with the spray - then most of it comes right off with a sponge or a paper towel?

anyone seen this? or have any idea whats going on?

My plan is to put the foam and vinyl covering in place - no glue, just tuck it in. Then secure the front with the window trim rubber seal, and the back side will be held under the new dash pad, an i thinking about that correctly?

edit: so I went back and read the label on the Purple Power. it says don't use on automobile finishes and painted surfaces - so I'm guessing its disolving paint?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Apr 7 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yes purple power is very strong, and likely not be used anywhere close to a Porsche 914.
It stains anodizing, eats through a lot of things like paint, as you've discovered.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 7 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am not sure if your dash recovering plan will work. It will be tough to get the tension even across the width of the dash, and any disturbance risks pulling the cover out.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 7 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 7 2021, 03:46 PM) *

Yes purple power is very strong, and likely not be used anywhere close to a Porsche 914.
It stains anodizing, eats through a lot of things like paint, as you've discovered.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) and the black paint on the dash frame seems to be very cheap stuff. I was able to rub some of mine off with just Dawn dish soap and water. Purple Power would be like paint stripper on that stuff.
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Apr 8 2021, 09:27 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 7 2021, 06:52 PM) *

I am not sure if your dash recovering plan will work. It will be tough to get the tension even across the width of the dash, and any disturbance risks pulling the cover out.

Ok, so I appreciate the advise. but I'm a bit uncler. are you saying I need to glue it down? if so, what glue, as i've heard several horror stories of glue and the foam layer not playing together nicely?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 8 2021, 04:53 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

i still have my lhd dash stored.

the black paint is some flat black paint (almost chalky) where the front pieces of vinyl were attached. the yellow swirls you see are probably 50 year old remains of factory double sided tape used to attach front pieces of dash trim? or remains of glue,

the flat section of vinyl on top trimming against windscreen have foam glued down and vinyl is only glued around edges and is slightly stretched over (really it just looks laid over) foam. i'm looking at one that got pulled out of my car when it was 16 years old and has been stored in a box in the dark since. thats how it is on this one. they didn't seem to use a lot of glue under the foam as out on one side its lifting and i can see underneath. just enough to hold the foam down.

guessing factory did it this way to deal with dash heating up in sun and air bubbles forming. if vinyl is not glued to foam except at edges heated air disperses evenly underneath?

as far as i can tell, the bit under the front dash top trim piece/ instrument cowl was literally held down by the pressure of the dash trim. my dash trim top is stored as a separate piece. there does not seem to be any evidence of old glue or any adhesive along that entire edge. if there was it would have only been a few dabs to keep it in position until the dash top went on. its so hand made when you look at it all that it could have varied a lot from car to car depending on who was making the dash that day and how much glue was left in their pot?

hope this helps/ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 8 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 8 2021, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 7 2021, 06:52 PM) *

Ok, so I appreciate the advise. but I'm a bit uncler. are you saying I need to glue it down? if so, what glue, as i've heard several horror stories of glue and the foam layer not playing together nicely?

I replaced mine recently (see my build thread). The original foam was glued to the metal dash. The original vinyl was wrapped over (under) the front edge--including the recesses for the defroster vents--and glued along the underside, and then glued under the padded dash top. It was floating on top of the foam.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 9 2021, 03:21 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

@bkrantz

makes sense to me. pretty much what i was looking at. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

except i think their glue pot ran out when it came to under the dash top. maybe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
or it was friday and they were going to the pub. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Apr 9 2021, 01:15 PM
Post #9

Ok so now I'm confused again. I have the 914 rubber dash cover =- pre cut with the foam liner as well. but i'm pretty sure the foam liner is the same size as the dash cover vinyl. so how do you put glue on the ends of the vinyl without getting it on the foam?
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Apr 9 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 9 2021, 01:15 PM) *

Ok so now I'm confused again. I have the 914 rubber dash cover =- pre cut with the foam liner as well. but i'm pretty sure the foam liner is the same size as the dash cover vinyl. so how do you put glue on the ends of the vinyl without getting it on the foam?

I trimmed the foam so it did not extend beyond the front edge, and only a short distance beyond the "step" for the padded dash top. Again, that seemed to be the way I found the original.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 11 2021, 05:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 9 2021, 01:15 PM) *

to help, i pulled out my old lhd dash took some photos.

mostly as per bkrantz guidance.

glue holding vinyl down on mine has long since aged and failed. but the vinyl retains its shapes and glue traces are still visible on the metal dash structure. foam is still mostly glued down. the vinyl was not glued to the foam. no trace or evidence of that anywhere.

foam is trimmed to the top of the step in the metal dash on the inner edge.
not a great deal of evidence of glue that would have held the vinyl down along its edge on metal below the step or on back of vinyl. but underside of vinyl shows it might have been. could have been just a few dabs along the edge if any.

along front edge (windscreen), vinyl was wrapped around edge of the metal and glued to the underside. looks like the person who made it used a 4 inch wide paint brush and just ran it along the underside of the dash! interestingly the vinyl was trimmed in the centre section and did not wrap under (see last photo). the wrapping and glueing under was from the left and right hand sides around the vents and in towards the centre a little further. don't know why that centre section was trimmed to edge and not folded under.

think the way they put it on might have been to glue the vinyl down along the inner edge where it was going under dashtop or perhaps even restrained it with dash top that was fixed on (could be wrong but i wonder if dash went in to car with top already fixed on during production). with the inner edge fixed or restrained you could stretch it towards front edge of dash and work your way along edge glueing and trimming and snipping in the right places. does that make sense. in other words i think the factory did it maybe differently to how most restorers would in terms of the steps. ie top might have been glued around front edge after dash top was fixed on. its a thought.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM