Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Pump, pre-start up
alphacrimedog
post Jul 21 2003, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 868

After replacing my rubber lines coming from the bottom of the tank I will finally be getting ready to try and start my car after many years of sitting idly. I have taken precautions for the engine, but is there any pre start-up precautions i need to take for the fuel pump? I have been tolds that if it sat dry for very long that I might as well replace it . The experts I have spoken to say it probably will not work. What say you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 21 2003, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

let it soak in fuel.
turn it on/off a few times without actually starting the engine. (pump should come on if you just turn the key one position).
you can actually hear the difference between a dry pump and a "wet" one.
even more so if you have a faucett (sp?) for carbs ...

later,
Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 11:38 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

It will probably leak at first... dont start the car. Pull the cover off of a old round relay and put it in the fuel pump relay slot. This will allow you to cycle the pump by hand without the key. Let it run for several minutes.. the seals dry out over time and need to be "lubed" with gas. Dont freak out when it leaks.. let it leak and clean up the small mess it will make. Just dont start the car. I see people buying fuel pumps all the time that dont actually need them.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:35 AM