Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator boot
arsprod
post Apr 11 2021, 07:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My (original?) alternator has the exhaust boot and I'm wondering if these really did anything. The replacements AL-75-X don't seem to have this exhaust hole. I trying to decide if I'm going have this one rebuilt or buy one. Thanks!
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 11 2021, 07:34 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

YES, they are important!. Draw are from the cooling fan. You HAVE TO take your back plate off the alternator and reuse it on the new one. While your are at it, get a new wiring harness. They are old and are breaking down internally.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Apr 11 2021, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 11 2021, 09:34 AM) *

YES, they are important!. Draw are from the cooling fan. You HAVE TO take your back plate off the alternator and reuse it on the new one. While your are at it, get a new wiring harness. They are old and are breaking down internally.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) also make certain the big positive post on your replacement alt. does not
touch the tin cover. Either shorten the post or re-shape the cover.
BIG short circuit.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Apr 11 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 11 2021, 10:24 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) also make certain the big positive post on your replacement alt. does not
BIG short circuit.

Yep, back plate is off and dressed up ready for paint. Along with a new wiring harness and exhaust boot I'll order one of these to protect from shorting! https://914rubber.com/alternator-positive-boot-cap
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 11 2021, 01:36 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(arsprod @ Apr 11 2021, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 11 2021, 10:24 AM) *

BIG short circuit.

Yep, back plate is off and dressed up ready for paint. Along with a new wiring harness and exhaust boot I'll order one of these to protect from shorting! https://914rubber.com/alternator-positive-boot-cap

Every rebuilt Bosch alternator has the positive post way too long for use in a 914.

So, before you install the alternator, go to your local hardware store and get a thin 8mm x1.25 jamb nut (jamb nuts are much thinner than regular nuts). Use that to attach the big red wire to the positive post. Then take a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut the post off flush with the thin nut. Then put the rubber boot over the post, and put the cover on the back of the alternator.

If you do that, you won't melt your alternator harness.

Clay

Clay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 AM