Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Web cam solid lifter failure?
mate914
post Apr 11 2021, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Matt

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

As I was recently doing a jug and slug transfer on my 2056. As I rotated the engine one of the lifters slid out and landed in the box. When I picked the lifter up it appeared to have come apart, I push the part back down in. Are solid lifters empty in the middle, no springs or ball like the hydraulic?
1. Should they all be replaced?
2. I have a brand new set of CB performance solid lifters, will they work if same spects?
3. Should I just replace that one.
4. I kind of wanted to show up for Carlisle in a Porsche.... I have faith I can accomplish this. Especially with all the knowledge on this 914 world.
Matt
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 11 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Some are solid, some are two piece, some 2 piece have a c-clip, some have a lube hole, some don't...

Simple test to see if they're worn:
New or good condition the face should be slightly convex.
Place two lifters face to face and hold them up to a light. If good you should be able to see light on the outer edges. No light and IMO they're done.

The lifter in question just put it back together, it doesn't need a clip once installed the loose part is trapped and not an issue.

-Using new lifters on an old cam is a crap shoot, it will either work or the cam will go flat.
-If the old lifters pass the test above use them.
-Don't replace just one, replace them all.
-Keep used lifters in order.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mate914
post Apr 11 2021, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2021, 11:38 AM) *

Some are solid, some are two piece, some 2 piece have a c-clip, some have a lube hole, some don't...

Simple test to see if they're worn:
New or good condition the face should be slightly convex.
Place two lifters face to face and hold them up to a light. If good you should be able to see light on the outer edges. no light and IMO they're done.

The lifter in question just put it back together, it doesn't need a clip once installed the loose part is trapped and not an issue.

-Using new lifters on an old cam is a crap shoot, it will either work or the cam will go flat.
-If the old lifters pass the test above use them.
-Don't replace just one, replace them all.
-Keep used lifters in order.

That’s what I was thinking. It just feels better when someone else agrees with you.
Matt
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 13 2021, 07:54 AM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lifter is likely fine. Do the test that Mark mentioned.

If the lifter is not fine - be 100% sure to get lifters that match your cam's hardness. Don't just use the CBs. Take to the cam maker (likely Elgin or Web) and get the lifters that they recommend. When the cam goes flat, that's an entire engine teardown to replace it.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Apr 13 2021, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,061

Check out some of the posts on Google about ZDDP. Porsche is now even offering their own oil with ZDDP for their older air cooled engines . Driven is probably the best offering but look into some of the diesel oils or V twin oil .
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:15 PM