Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel line question..... kind of, expansion tank on a 75
mmichalik
post Apr 11 2021, 12:26 PM
Post #1

MikeM

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

We put the fuel tank back into the 75 and have it all plumbed up but, I want to change a line on the expansion tank because the one there is probably the original one. (judging by how hard and inflexible it is).
If you look at illustration #205-05, part number 25 in the PET it says it's a 4x2.5 hose. If I'm reading it correctly.
I can't seem to find that hose anywhere. I would like to replace it with a braided one, to keep the look stock. Does anyone know where I can find that? I purchased what I thought was the right one from CB Performance but, it was too large.
Thanks,
Mike
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 12 2021, 06:56 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Apr 11 2021, 11:26 AM) *

We put the fuel tank back into the 75 and have it all plumbed up but, I want to change a line on the expansion tank because the one there is probably the original one. (judging by how hard and inflexible it is).
If you look at illustration #205-05, part number 25 in the PET it says it's a 4x2.5 hose. If I'm reading it correctly.
I can't seem to find that hose anywhere. I would like to replace it with a braided one, to keep the look stock. Does anyone know where I can find that? I purchased what I thought was the right one from CB Performance but, it was too large.
Thanks,
Mike

That sounds too small. Have you measured the nipple? I think it is 4mm. The expansion tank line is a hard plastic tube that runs thru the tunnel. The OD matters as it has to fit thru the hole in the rubber block with the fuel lines.
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Apr 13 2021, 05:41 PM
Post #3

MikeM

@bdstone914 - I'll measure that in the morning. I agree it sounds too small but the PET said that was the size. (if I read it correctly)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 13 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #4

bdstone914

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Apr 13 2021, 04:41 PM) *

@bdstone914 - I'll measure that in the morning. I agree it sounds too small but the PET said that was the size. (if I read it correctly)

That does appear to be correct. I just measured a fuel line assembly from a 75 and it is 5mm od, 2.5 ID
Looks like Porsche still offers the hose but for way to much money. Try calling a VW dealer. It is also a VW number.

Found this 3mm id 5mm od hose. Much cheaper. Since it is a vapor line you could probably use shrink tube to build up the diameter of the nipple to make slip fit. And use shrink on the out side to seal it. Just dont use a lighter on the hrink film.

https://www.mcmaster.com/5557K38/

@mmichalik

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Apr 14 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #5

MikeM

Thanks Bruce, I took your VW comment and ran with it. (I don't know why I don't think about that more often)
I found some braided hose on Amazon for $12.00 .
Thanks for the pointer. @bdstone914
Mike
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 14 2021, 02:50 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Apr 14 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Thanks Bruce, I took your VW comment and ran with it. (I don't know why I don't think about that more often)
I found some braided hose on Amazon for $12.00 .
Thanks for the pointer. @bdstone914
Mike

I doubt the braided hose will fit thru the hole in the rubber block. Needs to be smooth and 5mm OD
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Apr 14 2021, 03:36 PM
Post #7

MikeM

I believe that's what I grabbed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXXARN...=UTF8&psc=1
If not, I can find other uses for it but, it appears to be 5mm OD x 2.5mm ID.
Thanks Bruce, for helping me along here. I appreciate it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:13 AM