Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Non-solid core spark plug wires for pertronix, How do you know
bbrock
post Apr 18 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In the home stretch toward first start of my engine and hit a snag. I think I have solid core wires which is a no-no with Pertronix. I bought this set in the 1980s (probably from Tweeks) and unscrewed the connector just to check and found this.

Attached Image

Those are copper strands, but does that mean this is a solid core wire? The coil wire is labeled "suppressor cable" and looks to be carbon, but the plug wires are not labeled as such.

If I need to buy another set of wires, how do I know what I am getting? Karlyn/STI makes a wire set with all short connectors that would be preferred for my carb setup, but their description is vague:

Product Features

- Unique Tinned Copper Core
- Greatly Exceeds O E and Competitor Specifications
- Double Extruded Silicon-Over-Silicone Wire
- Contains 19 Strands Of Tinned Copper Core
- Super Conductivity w/Superior Corrosion Resistance
- Limited Lifetime Warranty

What wires are people running with their Pertronix Ignitor II or III? Apparently the Ignitor I isn't as sensitive to RFI/EMI as later models.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:00 PM