Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1972 Porsche 914 2.7L on BAT, General learning and 2.7L purchasing advice
MM1
post Apr 24 2021, 03:51 PM
Post #1

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

Not feeling great after my 2nd Covid vaccination yesterday - perfect time to learn a bit from the Masters . . .

Can you veteran 'Teeners please teach me a bit about 2.7L's and pre-1973 914's (and a few things about 914 purchase in general)?

Btw -this is in no way criticism - only learning for me . . .if a well respected friend of ours here had not delivered a "knock out" bid recently, I'd have risked serious repercussions blowing the savings @ $15-$19k-ish if nobody wanted it ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) not likely) -even though, from the little I've learned, I'd far prefer to avoid mag cases at all costs (we'll get to that later) - Forrest's 3.0L would have been perfect for me).

Let's use the example below:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-38/

1972 Porsche 914 2.7L

Attached Image

Accident evidence: Gaps - left fender to door gap is bigger at the top than the bottom and the fender lip appears out in "Y" (width) vs the driver side. Seller says,

"Attached Image"

While the left front a-arm pivot shows some wrinkling above the mount, perhaps the seller meant that the right (passenger) side front mount cover was ripped back by a parking chock.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Driver's front triangle looks fairly well wrinkled to me - between that, the frunk floor and the passenger fender to door gap, I'd feel like the car should be measured on a proper rack (preferably with a cmm). Thoughts?

Rust repairs: Seller says rust repairs/rockers replaced:

Attached Image

Is this primer? Why would it be there after painting?
Attached Image

Why leave the sides black - to see the number (and "balance, I guess)?
Attached Image

Continued . . .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:01 PM