Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bosch 009 Pertronix tuning, Looking for advice to get the car running again
Chaznaster
post May 17 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Hi All. I was working towards getting on the road formally this spring and seem to have caused a problem while digging around the engine bay.
It's a 74 1.8 with a single Weber progressive and an 009 distributor (I know nobody likes that setup ...) and Pertronix Ignitor. We have had it running (adjusted valves and timed it) and even put a few miles on it over the last few weeks.
Today, out of interest and while trying to find out my Pertronix model number, I took the cap off the dizzy, pulled the rotor and magnetic sleeve and took out the Pertronix. There was no part number (ugh).
I put it all back together (it has been running, albeit not well).
When starting, I got a bright flash above the engine (!) and the car tried to run but it will not idle and backfires like crazy. So much so that I am not comfortable trying to start it again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I did check all the wires and plugs and all seems OK.
I think the Pertronix is still working (it does fire). Could removing and replacing that part mess with timing or hurt the unit itself? I cannot see why but it is running like the timing is waaayyyy off.
Does anyone here have any ideas on what I might have done to cause it to not run well. How about ideas of what I might do to get back on track?
My only thought is to go back to points, static time it to start and go from there ...
I really appreciate the help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 11:42 AM