Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PMO for sale, May Panorama
mepstein
post Jun 1 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I heard some behind the scenes info -second hand but pretty reliable. PMO has offered the business for $600k for a couple years now. One issue is that Weber is buying intakes and other parts and PMO can’t get the parts needed to sell a complete kit. Some of the product needs updating but hasn’t happened in a long time. PMO was an alternative when Weber’s were hard to get but now that Weber is back in production they have fell by the wayside.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Jun 1 2021, 04:09 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jun 1 2021, 11:39 AM) *

Who in their right mind would buy a carburetor company in an age when the green crazies are trying to outlaw anything and everything related to fossil-fueled internal combustion? Probably better off buying a buggy whip factory. Guess we have to face up to the fact that we are the last generation that will ever enjoy and maintain classic cars.

Ansbacher

When it comes to polluting and promoting climate change genuine classic cars are not even a blip on the radar. As a true Liberal Car Guy I would love to see a future where electric cars were 90% of the cars on the highway and old fashioned leaded gas was available (here and there) if you had a properly licensed classic car and were willing to pay the $10 per gallon or so that it would cost. Hope this isn't too "political".
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jun 1 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,984

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 1 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Who in their right mind would buy a carburetor company in an age when the green crazies are trying to outlaw anything and everything related to fossil-fueled internal combustion? Probably better off buying a buggy whip factory. Guess we have to face up to the fact that we are the last generation that will ever enjoy and maintain classic cars.

Ansbacher

When it comes to polluting and promoting climate change genuine classic cars are not even a blip on the radar. As a true Liberal Car Guy I would love to see a future where electric cars were 90% of the cars on the highway and old fashioned leaded gas was available (here and there) if you had a properly licensed classic car and were willing to pay the $10 per gallon or so that it would cost. Hope this isn't too "political".

Yup
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 1 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jun 1 2021, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 1 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Ansbacher

Yup

affirmative.

fuel vehicles as recreational anachronisms will be tolerated under C02 emission offsets which you pay for.

as to a young generation, they unfortunately never accessed a fleet of cheap starter vehicles that were able to be maintained shade tree style. for the last 25 years minimum the cars in that category had already become somewhat impenetrable mechanically. though it has bred a smaller generational group of speed enthusiasts who have mastered the black arts of electronics and advanced tuning. they are out there but its retracted back into the "hot rodder" set.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jun 1 2021, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

These ads from PMO have been popping up for years, he routinely hopes to sell it.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 1 2021, 09:51 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Boy this is a trip down memory lane...

and no one mentioned PB Tweeks???? I used to love to get their catalog

(and I grew up on the JC Whitney catalog... I know that dates me!!)
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Jun 3 2021, 09:40 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,738

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2021, 04:47 PM) *

I heard some behind the scenes info -second hand but pretty reliable. PMO has offered the business for $600k for a couple years now. One issue is that Weber is buying intakes and other parts and PMO can’t get the parts needed to sell a complete kit. Some of the product needs updating but hasn’t happened in a long time. PMO was an alternative when Weber’s were hard to get but now that Weber is back in production they have fell by the wayside.

So is the 3 barrel IDA being produced? If so, who is selling them? Thanks.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 4 2021, 12:20 PM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Jun 3 2021, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2021, 04:47 PM) *

So is the 3 barrel IDA being produced? If so, who is selling them? Thanks.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/496.htm

New IDA 40 $4085 /pr, carbs only
New IDA 46 $3600 /pr which must be a typo, I think that's each so $7200/pr, carbs only
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jun 4 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 18,984

I'm thinking about buying PMO I just need 599 more partners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Jun 4 2021, 05:11 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,493

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jun 4 2021, 05:13 PM) *

I'm thinking about buying PMO I just need 599 more partners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Just buy a dozen sets of ITBs and store them until PMO goes under. They will probably be a better investment than Tesla stock? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 4 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Our engine builder doesn’t like the PMO itb’s because he said the injector is too far away for a street car but fine for a race car. They look pretty but aren’t the “go to” for everyone.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 4 2021, 09:38 PM
Post #32

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I think ICE engines and support for them will be around for a loooong time. classic car enthusiasts still have another couple generations to go at least.

One can still buy things like vacuum tubes, Victrola parts, historic house hardware, watch and clock parts and so on. Our cars won’t be destined for the museums on a large scale for decades.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 4 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2021, 05:27 PM) *

Our engine builder doesn’t like the PMO itb’s because he said the injector is too far away for a street car but fine for a race car. They look pretty but aren’t the “go to” for everyone.

^ Great feedback to get.

Do you know if any of the other options allow for the use of a factory airbox?
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Jun 4 2021, 09:58 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 24,738

I had a good conversation with Richard Parr today – he is a very nice guy. As noted above the business has been for sale for quite a while, but finding a buyer that fits has been very difficult. The good news is that PMO is not going away any time soon. There were some supplier issues in the last year, but they have been handled and parts are flowing again, including manifolds. They have parts for 60 sets of carburetors on hand now, with plans for another run of 100. So, if PMO’s are on your shopping list, you should be good to go.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:13 AM