Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I CRAZY ???, Teener is now my Daily Driver
What do you Guys/Gals Say ?
What do you Guys/Gals Say ?
Don't Do-it !! (unless you own a tow truck). [ 5 ] ** [4.17%]
Good Luck !! (sucker). [ 17 ] ** [14.17%]
No Problem !! (I've done-it before). [ 53 ] ** [44.17%]
Sweet !! (These cars ROCK). [ 41 ] ** [34.17%]
PM Me !! (when you break-down). [ 4 ] ** [3.33%]
Total Votes: 120
Guests cannot vote 
wheelo
post Jul 23 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Dude

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Here I go on the Teener Adventure !

I think she will hold-up, as long as I keep the commute short!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

- Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 23 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

My car has been totally gone through with stock injected 3.2, new brakes, CV's, rebuilt trans, etc..
But it still sucks driving without AC and a manual stick in traffic.
But for back and forth to work its priceless.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 23 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Even a 914 when it was brand new was no where as reliable as a new car from the last 10 years. Unless you've completely gone through your 914 recently stem to stern driving it daily just accelerates wear and tear. And that's fine if you have the weekend time to fix and maintain it.

Besides mechanicals though, the biggest problem with a 914 as a daily driver is exposing the car to rain and road salt if you live back east. The reason so many cars are rusted is from exposure to the elements not drives on sunny days. These cars can make ok spring/summer daily drivers but when it rains, it should be in the garage.

Here's the other issue with old car ownership - any old car really. They just have so many things going wrong with them on different schedules that you end up spending a couple weekends a month fixing this and that. I drove an old BMW 320i for 8 years as my daily driver. The car was fairly reliable since it had a rebuilt engine and tranny but there just a lot of little things that always needed attention. I also didn't feel comfortable driving the car to go skiing or on a long trip for fear of a breakdown. Of course the one time I did take it on a long trip it did die twice during the trip. It turned out that the alternator brushes needed replacing.

After that BMW I bought my first new car - a VW Jetta. Even though I could barely afford a new car at the time it was great investment in piece of mind. I still have it and over 11 years and 140K miles of driving I've had to spend maybe 3 Saturdays doing repairs on it. Even with the current mileage I still have no fear of driving that car to the snow or on a long trip. It starts every day and has been rock solid reliable.

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jul 23 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I drive mine daily, which for me is about 5 miles per day usually. I would say that so far I average about 1-2 weekends per month working on it and fixing things. On the other hand I bought the car for $1000 a year ago and it has needed a lot of the usual things that go bad on 914s, thins like ignition parts, some suspension stuff, hoses, rubber, etc.

It isn't the most reliable car, it has had somewhat serious problems on the road three times or so in the past year. Sometimes I feel like its not worth it, but then after its fixed and working right its a joy to drive daily.

I say go for it, assuming you don't mind working on it regularly, or if its already in very good shape, you are lucky!

-Tony
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 23 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Welcome!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
brp914
post Jul 23 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

My '76 with 300k mi has been a commuter car for 15+ years. In that time I've had it towed maybe twice. But its been thru a few engines and such with significant down time. Also, I dont skimp or patch things together - always new parts and good maintanence including preventative. Back that up with AAA+ (100mi towing). I've been tempted to buy new cars a few times, Boxster or 330, but then think what the hell, here in LA, most days I wont get it > 30 mph, and for the most part just need to drive for commuting and errands, so eff it.

In your case you have a bike as back up (other way around in my case), so as long as you're fairly confident in your teeners condition and you''re not like a surgeon with patients waiting in the OR, go for it!

btw, a/c (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) hot = window open, real hot = shirt off, cold = sweater. dont tell me they've come up with something better - dont wanna know, I'll get spoiled and fat.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 23 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #7

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

have you ever gotten up on a cold morning and had to work on your car just to MAKE it to work? I have, and didn't care for it...

I love working on cars(yes, even when things aren't going well) but if I get frustrated, cold, hot, hungry, tired, or lazy... guess what? I don't HAVE to work on it... being FORCED to work on a car to make it where you are going, quite frankly, sucks...

I like to choose when I'm going to work on the car, and do it in the "comfort" of my 1000 degree tiny garage, instead of on the side of the highway... because a cable broke or something...
+Quote Post
wheelo
post Jul 23 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Dude

Thanks! for the support... This is a complete car & mild weather... The rain can be a bummer. I do remember my 1970 teener, I had to put sponges, under the floor mats. Then squeeze them-out every couple of days! Now, my 1973 is tighter, and I have the benifit of having a garage! I hope that I have worked-out all the bugs, the AAA - Deluxe is good advice...

Cheers
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

- Mark
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 23 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (brp914 @ Jul 23 2005, 11:32 AM)

btw, a/c (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) hot = window open, real hot = shirt off, cold = sweater. dont tell me they've come up with something better - dont wanna know, I'll get spoiled and fat.

If my 914 was just a commuter car I wouldn't care about AC.
I'm a sales rep making sales calls with a suit on.
I also spend most of my time on the cell phone so I have to leave the windows up.
I currently drive my 993 on days where I have to make sales calls and drive my 914 to the office on days I don't.
The 993 is still much higher maintenance than a rice burner but its never left me stranded.
The 914 also has never left me stranded since I went through it 5 years ago.
I still have AAA and never leave home without a cell phone.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jul 23 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #10

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Yes....you are CRAZY. But it has nothing to do with wanting to make your 914 your daily driver! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Jul 23 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Not a big problem, if you dont mind fixing the little things that break every now and then. I have put 8k on mine in 2.5 months, and she doesnt seem to mind!
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Jul 23 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #12

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

I started testing my 914 as a commuter car this month. Just moved in February, and my commute is now 100 miles round trip, over some steep, twisty mountain roads. Temperatures this month have been extreme - we've been in the 100's here since 7/11, and it's supposed to continue until the end of the month at least.

Depending on your commute, I'd say be prepared for a lot of maintenance. My 914 runs great, but at this rate I would have to spend 1-2 weekends a month doing regular maintenance on it. For me, the only drawback has been lack of a/c. Driving the 914 after it's been sitting under the sun in 90-100 degree weather for a few hours sucks. By the time I get home, I have to change my clothes and drink a liter or two of water.

I only got stranded once, when my 7-year-old battery gave up on me. But I still take a cell phone and my AAA card with me whereever I go.
+Quote Post
wheelo
post Jul 24 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #13

Dude

Yes... crazy ... like-a-fox !

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

BYW - It was 99 degrees today ! Broke the record from 1964 !

- M
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Jul 24 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,163

I'm in Phoenix... 50% humidity and 100 today... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Desert my arse, this "monsoon" season sux. It's like nebraska again.

Its got up to 115 this month. I drive mine daily and have put 10k miles on it in 6 months here in Phoenix. no troubles yet - knock on wood.

I can say... it is HOT without A/C and I'll never go through another summer here without it.

The car isnt the most comfortable in the world to drive daily - i wish i had a cheap accord or something.

btw... speedster for sale... 2 aircooled without ac in phoenix is just plain retarded.

speedster for sale pics etc..
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jul 24 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #15

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

first i would like to say one thing on the DD aspect, if you do want to use it as a DD there are ways to get more out of it, things like engine swaps that can be more reliable than a stock type 4, mostly do to age and technology. also if you do drive it as a DD i would recommend a back up vehicle, even if it is a 200 dollar honda.

I'm in Phoenix... 50% humidity and 100 today...

hot my ass, that down right nice try 90 to 95 degress and 80 % + for a month
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Jul 24 2005, 08:31 AM
Post #16

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

I drove mine 120 miles a day for a year and a half usually at 80 mph. The only problem I ever had was the fuel pump relay losing contact. A little cleaning and I was good to go. That was after I rebuilt the engine. Towards the end I was having a little oil leak out of the push rod tubes.
+Quote Post
IVGUY
post Jul 24 2005, 08:34 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,468
Region Association: Canada

I just used my car for work this week for the first time. I put 900 miles on it driving thru the Monashee mountains. Only problem was my throttle assembly came loose but I just coasted to a stop and remounted it. Temp was high 90s so on the hills I took it easy but coming down I would turn it off and coast all the way down. Teener is quiet with the motor off at 80!!
Blast of a trip but 7 hours in a convertible is lot like being on the Harley.When you check in to a hotel and have your shower the water coming off you is almost BLACK!
Dan
+Quote Post
eg914
post Jul 25 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,223

Mine has been my daily driver since I bought it almost 2 years ago. I have a drive of 20 miles each way. It is a blast to drive, better than the last car I onwed (Japanese). It has been fairly reliable, but working in the garage in summer is tough. I don't miss a/c, as I almost never turn it on when I am in a car with it. I think that any extra maintenance I have to do is well worth it.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 26 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #19

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I don't think I would do it now, but I did it some 10 years ago. Logged over 100k on a 74' FI 2.0. It had it's share of problems, but never left me stranded. Car had over 200k on it when I sold it, still ran great, but smoked a little. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 26 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Hell mine has been driven 9K since March, and its 180 ponies...

Longest trip so far was 740 miles- I haven't even synched the carbs!

Having a car that you are afraid to drive is like having a wife that won't give you a piece- its worthless.

Drve the damn car! Drive it everyday!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:45 PM