Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I CRAZY ???, Teener is now my Daily Driver
What do you Guys/Gals Say ?
What do you Guys/Gals Say ?
Don't Do-it !! (unless you own a tow truck). [ 5 ] ** [4.17%]
Good Luck !! (sucker). [ 17 ] ** [14.17%]
No Problem !! (I've done-it before). [ 53 ] ** [44.17%]
Sweet !! (These cars ROCK). [ 41 ] ** [34.17%]
PM Me !! (when you break-down). [ 4 ] ** [3.33%]
Total Votes: 120
Guests cannot vote 
charlesmac
post May 24 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,264

yeah, I say do it. My DD for a while has been a '70 VW fastback, it's the most fun to drive of my cars since I don't have a teener running yet. Ya gotta ask yourself a question, would you rather do some preventative maintenance and pay for a few parts here and there, or suck up a payment each month. I love not having any car payments.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alan9144
post May 24 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 3,735
Region Association: Southern California

I have been using my '14 for the last 3 months as my dailly driver (no options the girlfriend seems to think my alfa gtv is hers!!) Using it in the rain, snow, sun - Scotland has a varied weather system but normally involves rain (no heaters but then no need for aircon, windows and roof are sufficient for this.

I have been constantly tinkering with the car but now (touch wood) having resolved the carb issues (wrong idle jets - who would have thought 48s would run lean!) the car now runs as it should and I have lost any fear I had that the engine was on its way, sure its noisy and makes some strange noises but hey its great to get up in the morning and smile about going to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post May 24 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #43

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ppickerell @ May 23 2006, 09:13 PM) *

OK, this is my garage view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) In the morning I bet it's the red car that gets the nod. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) Smelly, loud, ill-tempered, and fucking ugly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) . I'm driving the 914 to work tomorow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .

If your 914 is ugly I don't even know what mine is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post May 24 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(alan9144 @ May 24 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Maybe the admins could cook up a :driving-left: smiley for our UK/Australian non-members so the gear shift is on the proper side for them...

Skip
+Quote Post
alan9144
post May 24 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,735
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 24 2006, 08:14 AM) *

QUOTE(alan9144 @ May 24 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Maybe the admins could cook up a :driving-left: smiley for our UK/Australian non-members so the gear shift is on the proper side for them...

Skip

Good idea, but mine is a leftie (from CA) I am not lucky enough to have 1 of the 11 RHD conversions there were, anyway I plan to use it to get to lemans so it will be good for Europe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 24 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 23 2005, 11:47 AM) *

Even a 914 when it was brand new was no where as reliable as a new car from the last 10 years. Unless you've completely gone through your 914 recently stem to stern driving it daily just accelerates wear and tear. And that's fine if you have the weekend time to fix and maintain it.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

My old 914 was my only car from 1991-1993. I remember having a lot of things to go through (brakes, clutch, transmission, electrics, axles, etc.) for about a year, then it was stone reliable.

Then it became a garage queen from 1993-1997 -- with a LOT of time sitting in the garage when I was away from home for school, etc. Drive it to Portland for the Porsche Parade in 1995 -- it didn't miss a beat.

Then it became a weekend-only car from 1997-2003, with occasional trips to SoCal or really, really NorCal. Always just started up and drove away.

In 2004, I hauled it out and used it rain or shine as a daily driver, taking time to address a bunch of deferred maintenance (heater valves, trunk lock, sail-panel vinyl, seals, etc) and used it for a year of 50-mile daily commuting. Never missed a beat, never late to work or home. Nope, not so great in heavy rain (esp compared to a new car) and awful on a 112 F day in Novato in the summer, but pretty darn nice the rest of the time. Traffic sure looked different in 2004 than in 1992...however.

Now it's back to occasional use, but damn if it ain't a great car.

I say drive it. Depending on the PARTICULAR CAR, it could need a year or so of fettling and fixing. After that, assuming all the work is done carefully and right, it should be a very, VERY reliable car.

All this, IMHO, from my own experiences.

pete

+Quote Post
rcrgrl
post May 24 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 5,893

my first car was a dd, but it had a rebuilt tranny & rebuilt engine - twice

this week my teener is my dd and i am remembering it is really a luxury to have a back up car sitting there on those days that the teener won't start and i can't figure out wtf is wrong with it - as mentioned earlier, it sucks to *have to* work on a car.
+Quote Post
elwood-914
post May 24 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #48

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

My 73' was my daily driver 80 miles round trip. The only promblems was vapor lock during the hot weather. Now I wrecked it, hopefully I will get it fixed soon, gas prices are killing me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post May 24 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #49

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

100 mile commute ,round trip ,2-3 times a week.
Adjust your valves regularly, change the oil, do all the wheel bearings and seals if you havent yet.
I do miss the a/c but wouldnt trade for the grin I have when I arrive at work.

JT
+Quote Post
blitZ
post May 24 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #50

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

I've been driving mine to work everyday is does not rain. Burns less gas than my truck and Yes it Rocks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 24 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #51

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Mine is a daily driver. Has been for a couple years. No problems that have stranded me yet.

I take care of it regularly. It has been patched and sealed and painted with rust preventative products.

I drive it rain or shine, year 'round. No salted roads here. If it sees much rain, I look it over carefully. So far the rust protective treatements have held... but if any rust shows up I'll grind it out and reseal.

I work on it now and then for fun... mostly mods or upgrades I want. Occasionally some preventative work on things I have heard are trouble spots.

I drive it 20-50 miles per day on average. In all kinds of conditions. Including some daily-grind Seattle suburb traffic. I don't care about amenities. I like what the 914 is about.

Wouldn't trade it for the newest Cadillac plushmobile on any day.

Back to your original question: Are you crazy? Yes. But I wouldn't trade my craziness for sanity any day!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 24 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #52

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

OK, I cheated on the poll test and said I use my 914 for DD. I should have hit the column for DDALAIDSOR (Daily Driver As Long As It Doesn't Snow Or Rain). Don't want to get my 914 wet for rust and clean up reasons. I use my A6 for the rainy/snowy days. The A6 also works for long trips and picking up more than 1 kid.

When my red 71 got whacked from behind, I just had to get another 914 for the drive to work. Only 16 Km one way. Always carry my toolbox and a cell phone. Haven't had a breakdown in 2 years.

Spoke
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:10 AM