Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914s and 914 world
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,642
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hello everyone! I’d like to introduce myself: I’m Cian, and I am a high school senior and a car fanatic who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In October of 2019 I purchased this ‘73 914 2.0L in Olympic Blue from my neighbor across the street. I have always wanted a 914 and finding one in a backyard about 100 feet away was a dream come true.

I inquired (without my parents permission (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ) and the owner and I met up the following week. He knew quite a bit about 914s, and he loved the car, but it was obviously time to let it go. He left it under a tree, and it was covered in dust and rotting leaves. However, under the filth, it was in pretty good shape overall, with minimal rust and dry rot. The dash was not cracked (!) and at least the front of the car could be salvaged paint-wise. He said that it has dual Weber carbs, and the engine was rebuilt a few years before it was parked (sometime around 1998.) he said the carburetors were in dire need of a rebuild, and I should replace the fuel lines as well. He also said it has minor rust issues (what abandoned 914 doesn’t??)

I asked about the price, thinking that I couldn’t possibly afford it. I ended up buying it for 400 bucks, complete, with a clean title. One and a half years later, I am still just as thrilled with it as the day I got it- it is my prized possession, and the fact that I got such a nice 914 for that cheap just makes me even happier.

One problem though- I have zero mechanical skill or experience whatsoever. We used to have a beetle, a karmann ghia, and a Volvo 240 wagon, but I was way too young to experience any of those.

I’ve started work on many aspects of the car, just haven’t finished them.

I’ve removed the carbs, but the passenger side one is seized!! Purchased rebuild kit.

I’ve removed the fuel tank (full of Porsche poo and sludge) and cleaned it out.

“While I was in there” I removed the lines from the tunnel.

Cleaned out the heater box and deep cleaned the entire car.

I just need help now figuring out what to do. I want to try and get it started without removing the engine, but I understand that it is a necessary evil of 914 ownership. I want to eventually do a 5 lug conversion, and get some nice replica Fuchs, and just have a fun car to go on spirited drives in from time to time.

In this forum I’m looking for any good tips, ideas of what to do, general sage advice, and a forgiving community if I end up asking really dumb questions about the car (I know I will.) I feel sorry for not joining this community sooner- I knew you were here, just shy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

So, I took the plunge- and the plunge is a hell of a lot deeper than I thought. Anyway, thank you for reading my tome... Nice to meet you 914 world!

Included are pictures of the little beast including one showing how it looked when I got it... doesn’t work right now but at least its good looking yard art (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Images of interior and rear

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jun 16 2021, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Welcome to 914world and congratulations on your new project! Looks
like you have a solid and clean start with that car.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 16 2021, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Sounds like you got bitten by the tinworm long before you knew it existed. The car looks great already.

There is an event in Santa Fe next week, starting on the 23rd. Come up and check out the 914s, and ask lots of questions. Betty and I will be there.

Check out the Route 66 thread. It has all the info in it.

And thank you for saving another one.

Clay
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 16 2021, 12:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That is a score and a half right there.

Looks to be clean/straight/ potentially low rust 73 2.0 in an awesome color.

You should get the fuel injection back on that thing and you will have a winner!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 16 2021, 12:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 16 2021, 12:14 PM) *

So, I took the plunge- and the plunge is a hell of a lot deeper than I thought. Anyway, thank you for reading my tome... Nice to meet you 914 world!

I showed Betty the pictures and your quote about taking the plunge... Her reply:

"Come on in, the water is rusty... Um... fine!"

Clay
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jun 16 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #7

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

Congrats - great start!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Removing the engine is easier that you would think. You just take your time and do it step by step. It’s easer to work on it than in the car and you will learn a lot. The tools you buy are all worth have my in your toolbox for future needs and repairs.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Jun 16 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

What a beautiful car! Congratulations on the find. Olympic Blue has always been my favorite color on a 914.

It looks like the paint cleaned up quite nicely and the interior looks great!

Since you already removed the fuel lines from the tunnel, be sure to replace them with stainless steel lines. The original plastic ones will break due to age and cause a fire.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Removing the engine is pretty simple in a 914. In fact, some jobs are easier and quicker to do with the engine out of the car rather than leaving it in the car.

914World has some tech articles including replacing the fuel lines and dropping the engine:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_art.php

As Clay mentioned, there's an event in Santa Fe next week:
(http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=352164)

Come join us and talk about 914s! My wife and I will be out there. It should be a great event.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 16 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 16 2021, 09:14 AM) *

I just need help now figuring out what to do. I want to try and get it started without removing the engine, but I understand that it is a necessary evil of 914 ownership. I want to eventually do a 5 lug conversion, and get some nice replica Fuchs, and just have a fun car to go on spirited drives in from time to time.

I wouldn't do a 5 lug swap, not on that car. Find a set of 4-bolt Fuchs and get it back to original as possible with original injection and enjoy it.

Also... post more pictures. Noticing a couple curious things about this car. It looks to be mostly unmolested but a 73 2.0 wouldn't have come with steel wheels from the factory.

Another odd thing is that it is missing the center console but has the combo temp gauge.

Check to see if it has/still has its front and rear sway bars and confirm if it still has a 2.0 in it.

What is the VIN on this car and have you added it to the VIN registry?

400 bucks is an insane deal. If you ever give up on it give me a call, ill give you 10x that.
+Quote Post
dt4
post Jun 16 2021, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 23,161
Region Association: England

what a find and an even better deal
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 16 2021, 01:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Welcome aboard, and she looks as though she has been sitting for awhile. Get her cleaned up and see what you are working with. have you tried to start the engine?
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 01:59 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 16 2021, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 16 2021, 09:14 AM) *

I wouldn't do a 5 lug swap, not on that car. Find a set of 4-bolt Fuchs and get it back to original as possible with original injection and enjoy it.

Also... post more pictures. Noticing a couple curious things about this car. It looks to be mostly unmolested but a 73 2.0 wouldn't have come with steel wheels from the factory.

Another odd thing is that it is missing the center console but has the combo temp gauge.

Check to see if it has/still has its front and rear sway bars and confirm if it still has a 2.0 in it.

What is the VIN on this car and have you added it to the VIN registry?

400 bucks is an insane deal. If you ever give up on it give me a call, ill give you 10x that.

Thank you for your kind words!

My neighbor has a set of Mahle wheels in his shed.. those could possibly be the originals, but definitely not the super beetle steelies. It used to have a console, but it was removed for whatever reason (there is still wiring and light bulbs for the gauges under the carpet) and it still has the sway bars. I think what happened is that the previous owner picked it up when it was a beater, and was planning on racing it- hence why it has a Lecarra wheel. He also has buckets, a roll cage, and 5 points laying around in a storage unit. Removing the wheels revealed mountains of race track gravel held together with rubber in the arches. I think once he started to modify it, things added up, and he couldn’t continue with a baby on the way. VIN was added to registry when I signed up. I believe he told me the engine is original- but how do you check?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 02:04 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Jun 16 2021, 12:30 PM) *

What a beautiful car! Congratulations on the find. Olympic Blue has always been my favorite color on a 914.

It looks like the paint cleaned up quite nicely and the interior looks great!

Since you already removed the fuel lines from the tunnel, be sure to replace them with stainless steel lines. The original plastic ones will break due to age and cause a fire.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Removing the engine is pretty simple in a 914. In fact, some jobs are easier and quicker to do with the engine out of the car rather than leaving it in the car.

914World has some tech articles including replacing the fuel lines and dropping the engine:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_art.php

As Clay mentioned, there's an event in Santa Fe next week:
(http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=352164)

Come join us and talk about 914s! My wife and I will be out there. It should be a great event.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely be seeing you guys in Santa Fe next week!

I’m planning to do stainless steel, and I have a whole list of everything I need for that job laid out, I just haven’t gotten around to ordering them yet.

My neighbor has an engine stand, so I can borrow it if I need to pull the motor. Thanks again for the info! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 16 2021, 01:15 PM) *

Welcome aboard, and she looks as though she has been sitting for awhile. Get her cleaned up and see what you are working with. have you tried to start the engine?

Thanks for the reply! I haven’t tried starting it up just yet- It seems like there are about a million and one steps to get to the point where I can... hopefully soon!
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 02:14 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2021, 12:19 PM) *

Sounds like you got bitten by the tinworm long before you knew it existed. The car looks great already.

There is an event in Santa Fe next week, starting on the 23rd. Come up and check out the 914s, and ask lots of questions. Betty and I will be there.

Clay

Thanks for letting me know about the event! I’ll definitely be headed up for that. I guarantee you, lots of questions will be asked. Looking forward to meeting you and Betty!

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 16 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 24,781

Hey dude, congrats. Really nice score. Don't put a battery in it, don't start the engine, don't even turn it through. Even a fresh engine left sitting, especially a horizontally opposed engine can rust inside. especially at the rings where they meet the cylinder walls. If you have access to a video bore scope you can look through the spark plug holes and see if you can see any contamination. Otherwise I'd pull the heads and check. Check the wiring loom for chewing, mice and rats love to chew copper wiring. One electrical short could make it a really bad day. Have fun
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 16 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 16 2021, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2021, 12:19 PM) *

Clay

Thanks for letting me know about the event! I’ll definitely be headed up for that. I guarantee you, lots of questions will be asked. Looking forward to meeting you and Betty!

For the tours, you can probably find a ride with someone who has an open seat in their 914. I can give you a ride for a few minutes, but Betty won't let me kick her out of the car.

Clay
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 03:57 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 16 2021, 02:38 PM) *

Hey dude, congrats. Really nice score. Don't put a battery in it, don't start the engine, don't even turn it through. Even a fresh engine left sitting, especially a horizontally opposed engine can rust inside. especially at the rings where they meet the cylinder walls. If you have access to a video bore scope you can look through the spark plug holes and see if you can see any contamination. Otherwise I'd pull the heads and check. Check the wiring loom for chewing, mice and rats love to chew copper wiring. One electrical short could make it a really bad day. Have fun

Thanks for the advice. The last thing I’d want to do is break something... probably why I’ve had the car for over a year now and haven’t done much to it. Ill try and track down a camera and maybe add some marvel mystery oil. Ive checked for chewing before, and I haven’t been able to find any, just dry rot on some of the wiring has made the insulation a little... crunchy.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 16 2021, 04:04 PM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Looks like a good start to me!

Congrats and welcome!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:08 AM