Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914s and 914 world
Superhawk996
post Jun 16 2021, 04:05 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 16 2021, 05:57 PM) *

Ive checked for chewing before, and I haven’t been able to find any, just dry rot on some of the wiring has made the insulation a little... crunchy.

Both are reasons to remove engine.

Mouse nests and debris on top of cylinders is leading cause for overheating problems for these cars.

cruchy wiring needs to be addressed before putting a battery to it or attempting a start.

Nice score (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Just work your way though the process. Don't get in a hurry.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Jun 16 2021, 06:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

Congratulations on a beautiful car! Removing the engine and trans may seem intimidating... I can vaguely remember, but it's been almost 40 years ago, since my first time. Jack stands and ramps always seemed scary to me, so living on a farm with plenty of open space, I found a nice shady spot under a tree, used my father's tractor with a dirt pan and dug a hole about 2 or 2-1/2 feet deep just a little narrower than the wheels. Cut some plywood to enforce the sides so the soil wouldn't collapse and had a nice pit for crawling under to do whatever was needed and to lower the engine/trans with the car being level. Used an old swing set frame with a chain and come-along to hold the engine from the top and rolled a floor jack with some wood under the rear to support the trans. After they were lowered, I'd just roll the car forward and then start disassembly. Only real downside to this setup was if it rained, it'd take days to dry. Remember scooping mud more than once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Anyway, just be creative, remember safety, and you can solve any problem a 914 could present and you'll have a ton of fun in the process.

Dan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 16 2021, 09:18 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 25,642
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Jun 16 2021, 06:24 PM) *

Congratulations on a beautiful car! Removing the engine and trans may seem intimidating... I can vaguely remember, but it's been almost 40 years ago, since my first time. Jack stands and ramps always seemed scary to me, so living on a farm with plenty of open space, I found a nice shady spot under a tree, used my father's tractor with a dirt pan and dug a hole about 2 or 2-1/2 feet deep just a little narrower than the wheels. Cut some plywood to enforce the sides so the soil wouldn't collapse and had a nice pit for crawling under to do whatever was needed and to lower the engine/trans with the car being level. Used an old swing set frame with a chain and come-along to hold the engine from the top and rolled a floor jack with some wood under the rear to support the trans. After they were lowered, I'd just roll the car forward and then start disassembly. Only real downside to this setup was if it rained, it'd take days to dry. Remember scooping mud more than once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Anyway, just be creative, remember safety, and you can solve any problem a 914 could present and you'll have a ton of fun in the process.

Dan

Luckily my situation isn’t as dire as that one... but extra points for the creativity!! I have pretty much all the tools I could need, such as jack strands, a full size floor jack, ramps etc. I just need to do it- but as a first timer it can be intimidating, as you said. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it more than you know!!
+Quote Post
Betty
post Jun 17 2021, 04:58 AM
Post #24

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

Welcome to the insanity! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Once you do get your baby running you will find out you lucked into having the absolute most fun car you can ever have. The 914 truly is a street legal Go-Kart! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Are there any parts you're missing? We sure do have a lot of duplicates up in "Parts Heaven" (what we call the attic) and since we're trailering Clay's car we've got space in the tow vehicle to carry parts.

Welllll... carry more parts than we'll already be bringing because there always seems to be an opportunity for an 'impromptu Tech Session" on one of the drives or in the hotel parking lot after the drives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
maddog
post Jun 17 2021, 05:49 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 710
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

congrats, lots of good info here so get reading.
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 17 2021, 11:30 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 17 2021, 04:58 AM) *

Welcome to the insanity! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Once you do get your baby running you will find out you lucked into having the absolute most fun car you can ever have. The 914 truly is a street legal Go-Kart! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Are there any parts you're missing? We sure do have a lot of duplicates up in "Parts Heaven" (what we call the attic) and since we're trailering Clay's car we've got space in the tow vehicle to carry parts.

Welllll... carry more parts than we'll already be bringing because there always seems to be an opportunity for an 'impromptu Tech Session" on one of the drives or in the hotel parking lot after the drives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Not that I know of... its pretty complete. Unless you have an extra hella front indicator lens laying around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jun 17 2021, 11:40 AM
Post #27

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) And Congrats on the car. I made a bunch of videos that you may find helpful. Link in my signature below. Start with the 914 for Newbies series. The brain trust here is amazing and the community is incredibly supportive. I'm sure that you'll soon have the car you've always dreamed of. Good luck and be safe!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 17 2021, 12:15 PM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Olympicblue73 @ Jun 17 2021, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 17 2021, 04:58 AM) *

Not that I know of... its pretty complete. Unless you have an extra hella front indicator lens laying around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I have a euro one.......

Clay
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 17 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #29

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Congratulations. What an excellent car to begin you're passion. Read all you can and try to resist the impulse to do anything major until you have read many hours of threads and consumed all you can from this site to help you decide on the correct path for your car. Lots of experience on this forum and they will not steer you wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 17 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #30

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Welcome to the World. Getting a car from the desert is sometimes very good.
I have a 74 Olympic Blue car that came from Palm Springs area. These pictures are from before I it got. That car has no rust to speak of.

Great advice here from people that really know and love these little cars.

I find if I am looking for answers here from old posting on any given subject I look up on Google and ask say : 914world dash replacement.

914rubber replacement dash vs NOS Porsche - 914World.com
http://www.914world.com › ... › 914World Garage

Apr 14, 2016 — I finally had a chance to get my 914rubber replacement dashboard and the NOS Porsche replacement dash that I've had in my parts stash for ...
17 posts · ) Hard to believe the NOS is that far off from the factory original. I just got my Mikey914 ...

There are over 10 answers taking you to where you need to go. I go there first and if I cannot find what I need, I ask the guys here on the 914-world site.

Bob B

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MidEngineCrisis
post Jun 17 2021, 05:43 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 25,636
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That's one hell of a score! I'm looking at rusted rollers costing several times your complete gem, and now you've got me thinking back to my death trap of a first car in HS that still cost more than your 914, despite being on a tight budget. Color me impressed.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 17 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Welcome!
+Quote Post
Olympicblue73
post Jun 19 2021, 01:24 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 17 2021, 11:40 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) And Congrats on the car. I made a bunch of videos that you may find helpful. Link in my signature below. Start with the 914 for Newbies series. The brain trust here is amazing and the community is incredibly supportive. I'm sure that you'll soon have the car you've always dreamed of. Good luck and be safe!

Thank you Ian! I have been watching your 914 for newbies series on YouTube over the past year, and I’m a big fan. Your step by step instruction is pretty much unmatched, and I definitely will use them for the jobs I need to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 19 2021, 01:39 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Very nice find! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 19 2021, 01:58 PM
Post #35

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome acquisition, especially for only 4 Benjamins (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Grab the spare parts from your neighbor if you can ... especially the Mahle 'Gas Burner' wheels. Those will totally transform the look of the car.

Look for the engine number on the case. A '73 2.0L should start off with GA######

There's probably some other World members in NM, so don't be afraid to ask for local help if you need it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:00 PM