Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Identical low compression on 1 & 3 only - coincidence?, Peeling back the 914 revival onion
jrmdir
post Jul 4 2021, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi everyone:

Well, trying to save this 1.7 is just as much of an adventure as I thought (feared?) Last weekend I was stoked that I finally got it started after 3 years of PO neglect and was able to actually drive it. Now of course I'm learning all about the many things that keep it from running well. Seems as if I have a common set of FI revival issues including high idle, very rich mixture and stumbling.

So after a crash course on the many informative threads on this forum, it seems I need to rebuild the MPS - and no-doubt the TPS is also messed up. Not to mention a lot of sketchy looking vacuum hoses.

But while getting deeper into diagnostic mode I decided to check the compression. Since it runs and idles smoothly (except for the stumbles), pulls pretty strongly and isn't blowing smoke I expected no big surprises, but was wrong! I'm getting a reasonable 124 on both 2 and 4, but only 80 on 1 and 3. I know I need to adjust the valves and recheck when warm, but these readings seem so symmetrical and so far apart I don't think those things will make a big difference.

Again, I've read a number of threads here on compression but I'm still hoping I'm missing something about the 1-3 and 2-4 situation. Any thoughts on why the rear two cylinders might not be sealing after sitting for so long? I've only driven it for about a half mile so perhaps it will get better after re-breaking in?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:12 AM