Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help - Djet running way too rich
rjames
post Aug 20 2021, 09:35 AM
Post #21

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be a bad ECU. After 15-30 minutes of driving, the car would run super rich.

I still question your rebuilt MPS. You said you tested it, but just verifying that it holds vacuum isn't enough. You need the tools to adjust it (tangerine racing) and an AFR meter to dial it in. If the rich running your experiencing is intermittent, than you can probably check the MPS off of your list. But if it's always rich and swapping the ECU out doesn't change anything, then I suspect your MPS needs calibrating.

Quote jrmdir
In rebuilding the MPS, reestablishing the height of the center plunger involves an imprecise measurement. So this could be the issue. There is mention of uncovering the adjustment screw and then calibrating the MPS. But Mr Anders says this requires special equipment. It seems like this adjustment could easily impact the rich/lean situation. Has anyone tackled this calibration without test equipment?
@jrmdir At the very least you need the tools to adjust the MPS and and an AFR meter to set the MPS correctly.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Halfnelson
post Aug 20 2021, 09:54 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,303
Region Association: England

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 20 2021, 04:35 PM) *

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be a bad ECU. After 15-30 minutes of driving, the car would run super rich.

I still question your rebuilt MPS. You said you tested it, but just verifying that it holds vacuum isn't enough. You need the tools to adjust it (tangerine racing) and an AFR meter to dial it in. If the rich running your experiencing is intermittent, than you can probably check the MPS off of your list. But if it's always rich and swapping the ECU out doesn't change anything, then I suspect your MPS needs calibrating.

Thanks Robert - the MPS hasn't been rebuilt, still the original and holds vacuum - or at least was. Will double back and recheck.

How did you diagnose that it was the ECU? There seem to so many potential culprits and I had hoped these were already ticked off the list.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 20 2021, 10:15 AM
Post #23

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Halfnelson @ Aug 20 2021, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 20 2021, 04:35 PM) *

Thanks Robert - the MPS hasn't been rebuilt, still the original and holds vacuum - or at least was. Will double back and recheck.

How did you diagnose that it was the ECU? There seem to so many potential culprits and I had hoped these were already ticked off the list.

My mistake- I thought your MPS had been opened up.
I figured out it my ECU was bad after testing all of my other components and eventually swapping it with a known good ECU. See if you can find someone who will let you borrow theirs. You're lucky in that there seems to be a ton of used 1.7 ECUs for sale at any given time. 2.0 ECUs can be hard to find.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 20 2021, 12:58 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

What was the difference in idle when you pulled the hose off at the MPS? Just give me that.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 20 2021, 02:23 PM
Post #25

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2021, 11:58 AM) *

What was the difference in idle when you pulled the hose off at the MPS? Just give me that.

Would it even run? IIRC, pulling the hose off would just cause it to go super lean, so if it ran I guess it would tell you that something else in the system is causing an uber rich condition, but it wouldn't rule out the MPS as a contributor.
If it doesn't run, what would that tell us?

If it's an intermittent issue or doesn't happen until the car warms up a little (I'm still not clear if that is the case here) then it's probably not the MPS. I haven't run across intermittent issues, or issues that happen only when the engine is cold or only when warm that ended up being the MPS. Seems like when it's the MPS that's the problem, the symptoms there all the time.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 20 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Just out of curiosity, have you checked which injectors are in there? Mine came with 1 1.7 injector and on a 2.0 that means one really lean cylinder. Some fool might have put 2.0 injectors in yours.
+Quote Post
Halfnelson
post Aug 23 2021, 07:57 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 20 2021, 11:44 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, have you checked which injectors are in there? Mine came with 1 1.7 injector and on a 2.0 that means one really lean cylinder. Some fool might have put 2.0 injectors in yours.

OK - I'd never even considered the injectors could be wrong but...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Halfnelson
post Aug 23 2021, 08:02 AM
Post #28

Lots of questions spring to mind like how it was even running with the wrong injectors in?

The number seems to end 1120 07 (although I couldn't quite see) - which doesn't look like 2 litre green injectors?

Next step is where can I find either the correct yellow injectors or a new set of compatible alternatives?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 23 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

I have 1... And it is yellow.

I bought those new injectors, Standard motor products. The guy that rebuilds injectors tested them and found them to be quality. Not sure what the 1.7 version is labeled as. Fj67 is the 2.0
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 23 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Attached Image

The left side is the 2.0
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 23 2021, 10:34 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,308

Wrong injectors.. amazing! I bought a set of Standard Motor Products injectors for my 2.0 Outlaw and they sure look nice. Get them if you can't find OEM yellow injectors. RockAuto had the best price I could find.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 24 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #32

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Those look like 1.8L injectors, for L-Jet. Someone had to mess with the wiring harness to use those.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 24 2021, 11:23 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Wow, the plot thickens.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 24 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #34

Cross Member

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 20 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Would it even run? IIRC, pulling the hose off would just cause it to go super lean, so if it ran I guess it would tell you that something else in the system is causing an uber rich condition, but it wouldn't rule out the MPS as a contributor.

If it's an intermittent issue or doesn't happen until the car warms up a little (I'm still not clear if that is the case here) then it's probably not the MPS. I haven't run across intermittent issues, or issues that happen only when the engine is cold or only when warm that ended up being the MPS. Seems like when it's the MPS that's the problem, the symptoms there all the time.

Pulling the MPS hose does NOT cause lean, it causes full RICH. True, it should not run, it should immediately choke and die. I wasn't necessarily suggesting the MPS as the problem, but ANY time Djet runs rich, check the MPS because a bad diaphragm or leaky hose/connection is a common cause of running rich! I can't think of another test that takes two seconds that tells so much about fuel mixture. IF it didn't change, it would have absolutely been MPS (or not) in 2 seconds! Always do the quick tests to quickly rule things out in early troubleshooting!
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 24 2021, 09:48 PM
Post #35

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 24 2021, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 20 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Pulling the MPS hose does NOT cause lean, it causes full RICH. True, it should not run, it should immediately choke and die. I wasn't necessarily suggesting the MPS as the problem, but ANY time Djet runs rich, check the MPS because it's so easy (and a bad diaphragm will absolutely cause rich running). I can't think of another test that takes two seconds that tells so much about fuel mixture. IF it didn't change, it would have absolutely been MPS in 2 seconds! Always do the quick tests to quickly rule things out in early troubleshooting!

Yup- I had it backwards. After all the DJet and MPS troubleshooting I’ve done in the last two years I don’t know how I got that one wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 24 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #36

Cross Member

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 24 2021, 08:48 PM) *

Yup- I had it backwards. After all the DJet and MPS troubleshooting I’ve done in the last two years I don’t know how I got that one wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

We've all gotten things wrong. My biggest point, is quick troubleshooting. I've seen people spend hours chasing rabbit trails that could have been ruled out in seconds! It hurts every time.

PS: Checking out your music (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Halfnelson
post Aug 25 2021, 09:37 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 24 2021, 04:52 PM) *

Those look like 1.8L injectors, for L-Jet. Someone had to mess with the wiring harness to use those.

My guess is not 1.8 as they are more of a blue / green IIRC but also the whole shape of the injector plug looks different to the 2.0 and 1.7 injector plugs. Could be someone try to find a suitable alternative or ordered the wrong part? The FJ67's etc aren't available in Europe.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 25 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

The one you are looking for is the fj114. 59 dollars on Amazon.
+Quote Post
Halfnelson
post Sep 6 2022, 10:10 AM
Post #39

I'm resurrecting this thread if that's ok so hopefully it'll add some context / back story.

The gist is my 73 1.7 on standard Djet would run ok for a short period of time - then flood. It was an intermittent problem that got so bad petrol is now actually spewing out of the exhaust.

After discovering I had the wrong injectors fitted (way too much fuel being delivered) I had a set of new FJ114. I hoped this would crack it - but after starting and ticking over for a short while... it started to run rough, smoke cough and die. Turning the car over then results in petrol spewing out of the exhaust again.

Short recap of work done includes: all new vacuum lines, CHT sensor replaced, MPS tested, fuel return tested, cold start injector disconnected and bypassed, new fuel pump fitted and fuel pressure tested, new coil fitted.

The question is - a year down the line - what next? And what could be causing such a catastrophic over-fueling - it's not just running rich - there is fuel pissing out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 6 2022, 10:30 AM
Post #40

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Have you checked your CSV for leakage?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 05:17 PM