Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running on 2 Cylinders
rickso71
post Jul 24 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,041

I have a rebuilt (by PO) 1.7L motor in my '71 that was just started for the first time. It has been converted to a single Weber 32/36 carb (I know, not the best setup). It sounded odd, like a Harley but I was just thrilled it ran. When it wouldn't idle I decided to check if all cylinders were running. #2 and #4 aren't running since removing the plug wires made no difference in running. I didn't think to feel for warm exhaust pipes but I'm pretty certain they're not running. THere is spark at #2 and #4 plugs and I'm quite certain I have the wires in correct locations on distributor. I tried moving them around but the only combination that runs is where #1 and #3 are supposed to be. The timing is set at 34 deg. BTDC (as it should be for carb) and when I set the valve clearances, the cylinders all reached TDC on compression stroke when they should relative to where the rotor was pointing .

Was the engine built incorrectly?
Are the intake runers for #2 and #4 blocked by the wrong gasket under the carb?
Are my ignition wires in the wrong order?
What have I missed?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 24 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

1-4-3-2 is the firing order, 1 is top left on the distributor.

fouled plugs?
+Quote Post
rickso71
post Jul 24 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,041

Yes, 1-4-3-2 firing order. #1 is not top left on my distributor (different for carbs) but bottom right... trust me. Found the problem. The adapter plate between the carb and the intake runners has two holes, one for each barrel and is meant for a plain old dual carb. With the progressive, only the primary is used normally, so that fed #1 and #3. When the secondary kicks in it feeds #2 and #4. I need a different plate, one with a single hole that covers both barrels.

Ran surprisingly well on 2 cylinders but wouldn't hold an idle below 1000RPM. Going to check with Redline on whether I need a new plate or can just modify existing one.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 24 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

C'mon guys... Let's help him out. Scott, Joe, Aaron, Alberto, Mike, Howard, etc... C'mon.......

Sorry, I didn't know Britt had already solved the problem.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 24 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (rickso71 @ Jul 24 2005, 07:31 PM)
Yes, 1-4-3-2 firing order. #1 is not top left on my distributor (different for carbs) but bottom right... trust me. Found the problem. The adapter plate between the carb and the intake runners has two holes, one for each barrel and is meant for a plain old dual carb. With the progressive, only the primary is used normally, so that fed #1 and #3. When the secondary kicks in it feeds #2 and #4. I need a different plate, one with a single hole that covers both barrels.

Ran surprisingly well on 2 cylinders but wouldn't hold an idle below 1000RPM. Going to check with Redline on whether I need a new plate or can just modify existing one.

properly setup, the location of #1 on the dizzy should be exactly the same whether it be carb'd or fuel injection if using stock or stock replacement distributors, someone installed something incorrectly on your motor....

normally, when the #1 cylinder is at TDC, the rotor should be facing the driver seat or close to it

for the plate, do you need it or can you just modify it??

+Quote Post
newto914s
post Jul 25 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,663

Could you bring the car up to Redline?
I think I'm running on 3 holes and I can't rev past 5k rpms
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:30 PM