Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headlight Stop Adjustment
rickso71
post Jul 24 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,041

The passenger headlight doesn't look as though it's closing all the way. The linkage looks fine, the arm from the motor is in line with the arm from the light. Is there a "stop" adjustment for the down position? I see an adjusting nut at the top rear of the light assy. but think that might be the stop for up position.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 24 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

<!-- QuoteBegin rickso71+Jul 24 2005, 08:56 PM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rickso71 @ Jul 24 2005, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> The passenger headlight doesn't look as though it's closing all the way. The linkage looks fine, the arm from the motor is in line with the arm from the light. Is there a "stop" adjustment for the down position? I see an adjusting nut at the top rear of the light assy. but think that might be the stop for up position. <!-- QuoteEnd --></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
the "stop" (thread with double nut) is actually not a stop at all. it's used after all adjustements are done to prevent the headlight from "wiggling" when in open position.

if the headlight goes down too far when closed, do the following:

with headlight in full down position, remove the headlight motor relay (just in case)
then unbolt the 10mm nut that holds the arm to the rotating shaft on the motor and pry the arm off the shaft.
move the headlight up by hand until it sits flush with the hood etc, put the arm back on the shaft, tighten the nut and voila!

the motor stops by itself at both, the upper and lower positions without any mechanical stops, you basically adjust all headlight hardware around the stop positions of the motor ...

to adust the upper position, put the relay back in, turn on the lights and remove the relay again so the light stays up.
losen the double nut on the back of the housing and adjust the stop to just barely touch the slotted "lip", then tighten the nut.
again, this is not a mechanical *stop* for the motor, this is just to prevent the headlight from wiggling while driving.
if you set this "stop" too tight, you *can* burn out the headlight motor!

<!-- emo&;) -->(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)<!-- endemo --> Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 24 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Outstanding answer Andy, this one will be read and followed by many 914 owners that I know of here in the So Cal area as many of them have one or even both headlights not lining up. I didnt even know how to do it until this post, I just got lucky on mine when I put it together. Thanks
+Quote Post
rickso71
post Jul 25 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,041

I've already done basically what Andy suggested and it still looks a little off. Actually the light cover when closed is close to parallel with the hood but the small trim piece just in front of the light looks to be too low which is what's looking odd. Can't see how to adjust it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:53 PM