Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SOLVED: Yet another 1.7 "clattering" investigation NOW WITH VIDEO, What to look for?
jrmdir
post Aug 4 2021, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello:

I'm still trying to sort numerous suspect items related to idle, mixture and hesitation in this recently acquired car but the "valve?" noise is driving me crazy while I work on various adjustments.

I've adjusted the valves at least three times and believe there is no excess clearance but it seems to have gotten louder recently so I'm going back under to check things out - and this time plan to take the rocker arms off to check for new looseness or anything weird that would throw the feeler gauge measurement off.

I've read about possible valve seat detachment - is there a way to check for this short of removing the heads?

Anything else I should look for? What are the chances of rod knock instead of valvetrain?

Notes: Mileage unknown. Car sat for 3+ years and of course the seller claimed "ran well when parked" LOL! Compression is good when warmed up, not so good in #1 and #3 when cold. No blue smoke. Hard to tell but the loudest noise seems to be #2 but that's just a guess.

Thanks!

Ron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:01 PM